AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says that you should be in the recommended range of -10% to +10% for vertical keystone. With my PJ moved farther forward then normal I'm having to use more then the reccomended value, -45% for red and +26% for blue. What problems could this cause? And why do they give you the extra adjustment if they do not want you using it?

Also are other owner's of PG's using more then the recommended +- 10% for V-KEY?

Thanks, Deron.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
And just to be crystal clear, when they (manual) say +-10% - they mean it's safe from 40% to 60%, correct?

I'll have to pull up the manual, but one area said 560%. That seemed odd.

Marshall

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marshall

Do you mean they are over protective about the settings on these PG's?

Deron.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just checked and my B is +54 and R is -49, which seem pretty well balanced. Ceiling mount, with throw closer than stock like you. Not having any (apparent!) problems.

Checked the green while I was there and it’s +10. Which, now I think about it, bugs me a little. With a perfect mechanical setup it should be zero?

Gee – thanks for giving me ANOTHER thing to fret about! :D

I’m cursed with an unhealthy desire for perfection. I know it’s bad, but I can’t help it! I can hear you all now, thinking “Well he shouldn’t have gotten into CRT PJs then!â€.

I must overcome this tendency to keep tweaking until everything that can be zero IS zero! :(

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris

You know what is strange about our "Zero Quest"? Every time us CRTers get back into the setup of the PJ, we find out the settings do get closer to zero. And that is after we are sure we did everthing we could do the last time around:)

Deron.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
A new phrase to use "Zero Quest" I like how that sounds. Doug
Doug,

While I know nothing is perfect, in Deron's case, shouldn't the Blue & Red be theoretical mirrors, the + and - be just about identical if the rasters are perfectly centered?

Bruce

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You will have some variance even if the tilt is zeroed on all three tubes and mechanically aligned to match the green. Not much but some depending if the lenses, spacers, and toe in are exactly the same. Doug

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Yes, I realize that, but the variance in Deron's case seems excessive, 45/26.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If the lens tilt is in the 'slot' instead of the single hole check that they are the same for red and blue. Also you can 0 tilt for red and blue without storing to check how it aligns with green if the green is at 0. After that you would need to normalize V keystone balance for both to see where its coming from. You could end up a bit closer. Doug

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
Only on a G70 Bruce ;)
Careful the way you talk abouyt "the magic" projector. I don't know why the G70 causes so much penis envy. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Deron,

I have the impression that the value +/- 10 only refers to the green tube, and I have never had a single problem with several PG's when I only checked this value for green and let blue and red fall where they may.

Of course it helps if you toe in the other tubes correctly - sorry , couldn't resist :D

Oliver

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Klohs
Deron,

Of course it helps if you toe in the other tubes correctly :D

Oliver
Especially if you're using a 10PG, since it's already a bastard machine and they only made 2.....yours and Olivers. :D :p :D Although there's enough scrap from one to make a mopedwhen it dies. :D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bruce

Hell, with the scrap you should be able to build a couple of small foreign cars too:)

Deron.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would not moving the PJ over so the red (the red V-KEY being more off then the blue) is more in line with the centerline of the screen be the fix?

The closer I get either the red or blue tube to the centerline position that the green occupies should mean they should get closer to how much V-KEY that the Green uses, which should be none.

The image on the face of the tube is so close to the edges that I have no room to move that there.

Deron.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Deron,

keep your image centered, that's your best and safest bet.

I wouldn't worry too much about those values, after all what could happen as a worst case ?

Some board could pop that is easily fixable with the PG chassis - there are just so many around and did I mention for much less than the G70 ? :D

Oliver

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deronmoped
Would not moving the PJ over so the red (the red V-KEY being more off then the blue) is more in line with the centerline of the screen be the fix?

The closer I get either the red or blue tube to the centerline position that the green occupies should mean they should get closer to how much V-KEY that the Green uses, which should be none.

The image on the face of the tube is so close to the edges that I have no room to move that there.

Deron.
Deron,

"keep the picture centered", well that was the whole point of what I was saying. I you were to have a "perfectly" centered image (if it's possible to get perfect, then your toe-in angle should be perfect as well and that "should" mean that the numbers you're getting are symmetrical negative and positive numbers.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.