AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some of you avid NEC users would be interested in the results of an experiment I just got done. I've got a couple of NEC 6PG's (model PG 6000) that I'm fixing up. I want to sell them eventually, but I want to sell them pretty cheap, so I'm doing all I can to keep the costs down.

I found one needed new IC's on the C-drive and both need new blue tubes. One needed a new green and red too! Well, I had a green tube with a very mild, very large 4:3 wear pattern in it that I removed from my NEC XG 85( model number XG852 ). I have read that the XG tubes would not work in a PG, but I decided to try it when I examined them and they appeared to be identical except for the XG tube being a little longer.

Well, the extra length is enough to put the neck board right up against the back of the machine, so I put some insulating material between it and the chassis(just in case), but the XG green tube works flawlessly (so far for about 6 hours now) in the PG chassis. I'm becoming pretty adept at doing the astig on these too, and as far as I can tell, the XG tube focusses perfectly fine and holds the beam shape properly too. The points in the dot hatch are very sharp.

Now if I could only find some blue tubes!!

I may try a GP3000 tube next to see if it will work too!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I guess that means the XG tubes are about 5/8 inch longer? I guess you'll never have to worry about the neck board coming off.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
gn2,

Im glad somebody tried it, this is a new one on me. Can you see any thing abnormal in the operation? Have you tried to white balance it yet. Keep us posted. Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is nothing at all abnormal in the operation as far as I can tell. I have run it about 6 hours on HDTV and HTPC at 1024X768 and 72Hz refresh, with no abnormalities yet, and a very fine picture(aside from the burn on the blue tube).

.I used the screen VR to adjust the base level of the tube to match the others, I'm sure this isn't by the book, but it seems to work, and its the smallest of adjustment to match the levels.

I can't do anything near a color balance on this, both because I don't know how to do the convoluted process described by the NEC "Board Level Training Manual" I have, AND because the blue tube is burned to a crisp.

If anyone has some good used blue tubes, PLEASE let me know, they are like hens teeth to find, right now anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.