AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the serial protocol for an ISS-6010/20 switcher and/or XG projector- without using the software.

I don't want to do anything fancy, I just want to switch inputs using Girder's serial port plugin.

The problem is that my XG and the switcher both respond to the same IR codes, so if I could change inputs on the switcher w/ the serial control (must be through Girder) and cover the switcher's IR sensor w/ tape or something, that would solve the problem.

Linking the two up is not an option for reasons I'm sure you'd rather I not get into. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is the equipment side by side?

If not, you might be able to reduce the power of the IR remote by placing a series resistor in line with the LED. Use a black/white camera and adjust the resistance value until the LED in the remote *just barely* works. You will find that at that point the remote will have to be aimed directly at the equipment to operate. By doing so, you will cause each unit to respond independently only when the remote is aiming directly at it.

Note- This can make the batteries in the remote appear to go dead faster as the led will not be driven as hard; when the voltage drops from the batteries getting weak the LED will stop since it is barely working to begin with. If you are concerned about battery life in the remote, you can make the modification on the receiver end of things - although doing so is more involved.

Hope this helps-

--Kieth

·
Registered
767 Posts
A potential 40 dollar solution is to use an rf/ir remote extender on one of the devices. Place the IR emitter of a remote extender receiver over the IR window of one device, blocking the reception from any remote directly.

Aim the remote at the devices as you normally would to operate the device with the unobstructed window. Aim the remote at the remote extender transmitter to operate the other.

Marc

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm controlling everything with Girder. I have a USB UIRT with a 3.5mm jack splitter hooked up to it for two IR emmitters. One goes inside the PJ's hushbox (when I get it back), and the other goes to the rack which is where the switcher is.

Could the serial codes be the same as the IR codes? I guess I can try this out myself.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the codes Doug, it worked like a charm!

For anyone else using an NEC switcher, I can't recommend doing this enough. If you have one, I'm sure you know that there is a long delay whenever you switch inputs using IR or pressing a button on the unit (the number flashes a few times and then it switches).

But switching inputs with serial control is practically instantaneous. This is awesome.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Lifter or Doug,

Care to share? I just picked up a 6020 and I like the idea of speeding up the input selection.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes I got it. You don't happen to have an extra RGB or VGA input card do you?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Audiophile, PM me with your email and I can send you all of the info I've collected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.