AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the difference between the tubes in the NEC PG's and PG Plus and the NEC PG Xtra's?

Thanks,

crtstudent

·
Registered
567 Posts
The PG and the PG+ use the same NEC tubes rated at 800 lumens.

The PG Extra has larger MEC tubes rated at 1000 lumens.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Cookie

Are you sure?

I know the green on the extra is a XG tube, but are not the other two the same size phosper area and are just shorter?

Deron

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes im sure.

The PG Extra green tube is different to an XG green tube. But the XG green tube will work in a PG Extra.. apparently.

Either way, the PG Extra definitely comes with 1000 lumen MEC tubes.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Only sometimes. I've owned all forms of PG's and the tubes are all the exact same face size, phosphor area. The ONLY difference is the Extra green neck is longer by about 2 cm. The red and blue tubes are EXACTLY the same in all PG's as far as I can see, and I've had tubes from all PG models in my hands. I've had three different XG air coupled machines, from a very late model 852 to earlier XG 75 and XG 1350. The tubes are all EXACTLY the same, physical size , phosphor area , pinout , neck circumference , neck length. I have installed an XG green(taken from the XG852) in an NEC PG6000 and run the machine. The ONLY difference I've seen in the machines I've had is the longer neck. I ordered two blue tubes for two PG6000's I had and NEC sent me two blue tubes designated as PG6200 blue tubes. I'm fairly certain the tube doesn't make the difference in the light output ratings, but rather other components in the projector.

Some people have tubes with MEC or Panasonic stickers on them, but the tube is the same physically as all the tubes that have NEC stickers on them. Same phosphor area, same neck size, same pinout.

I'm only speculating on this, but I would guess one manufacturer made ALL of these tubes(whether badged NEC or MEC) and just put different stickers on them depending on who wanted which sticker.

Also, I'm fairly sure that higher light output ratings are a reflection of higher anode voltage, and tighter beam spots as opposed to differing tubes. The same phosphor surface will put out more light if its excited in a more closely packed way(tighter beam spot) and with a higher energy beam(higher anode voltage). In fact, on all but the earliest PG's there is an innocuous switch on the HV daughter board at the back of the machine beside the HV splitter, which can be changed to increase the light output. You do this at the risk of shortening the tube life, but you can get more light output. This is related to why its not uncommon to see XG's with verifiable lower hour counts but already showing wear. The tubes of the XG aren't essentially any different than their predecessors, but the beam control is so much better, it can excite every particle of phosphor in a more complete, dense and uniform way, to a greater degree, and with more energy. More of the phosphor is excited each time the beam passes over the tubeface. With older machines that don't have as tight a beam spot control, some phosphor is not excited and therefore does not emit light. The actual phosphor particle that is excited varies with each pass resulting in less acute wear since the phosphor particles are not necessarily excited exactly the same every pass. When the newer machine uses better beam control for more uniform and tightly controlled phosphor excitation, the result is significantly higher light output, but also the earlier wear commonly seen on XG's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still not a 100% clear on this. The Red and Blue tubes are the same in all Nec PG Projectors but the Green tube is different?

Thanks,

crtstudent

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Yes.

The PG6/9200 uses a green tube that is about 2.5cm longer than all of the other PG series tubes, and is in fact the same as the NEC XG series tubes, which are all about 2.5cm longer, regardless of color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.