AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I really see a difference between the PG6 and PG9, and what about the Plus and the Extra? I would like to keep the purchase below say $1600. seen how shipping will put it up to around $1800.

I have considered the Barco 800/801 and also the Sony 127X series but I keep coming back to the NEC, Is this the way to go?

I will be using it alone with a Progressive Scan DVD player at 9' wide 16:9 on to a "Bears Ultra Pure white" wall!

See my site if you would like more input!
www.prosteering.8k.com

Wes

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice theater, but 9' wide is too big for those projectors. 80" max for best picture quality maybe even 72". Also if you are just using a progressive dvd the smaller screen will help to conceal scan lines which WILL be visible, but not completely annoying. You will also need to convert the output of your DVD player into RGBVH through a transcoder which could set you back a couple hundred bucks.

I think the PG Xtra series uses different tubes and offer a brighter picture but I can't be 100% sure about this. Check around the forum.

Alun

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hificanuck
Also if you are just using a progressive dvd the smaller screen will help to conceal scan lines which WILL be visible, but not completely annoying. You will also need to convert the output of your DVD player into RGBVH through a transcoder which could set you back a couple hundred bucks.

I think the PG Xtra series uses different tubes and offer a brighter picture but I can't be 100% sure about this. Check around the forum.

Alun
I don't think a smaller screen reduces scan-line visibility.

Most of us sit somewhere either side of 1.5 screen widths from the screen. With a smaller screen we sit closer, so the gaps between the scan lines are proportionally larger and end up subtending the same field of vision that they would on a larger screen that we sit farther from.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Will I really see a difference between the PG6 and PG9, and what about the Plus and the Extra? I would like to keep the purchase below say $1600. seen how shipping will put it up to around $1800.

I have considered the Barco 800/801 and also the Sony 127X series but I keep coming back to the NEC, Is this the way to go?

The 6pg/9pg are the same except for higher scanning rates. This pj performs best around 1280x720 which the 6pg can do so there's no point spending more for the 9pg. The 9pg+ or xtra (forget which) has a different green tube (same as the XG).

NEC is always the way to go :) Nothing matches it for color accuracy and that's ultimately one of the top two most important things in a pj. The bg800 and 1272 are nice pj's but they are ES focus whereas the PG's are EM focus. No contest there.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The Extra has the different green tube for a max 1000 lumens instead of 800. The plus and Extra have better convergence and focus options.

All produce an excellent image.

Marc

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Wes, unless you are going to go for a Torus screen AND and XG110/135 then you may want to have a look at the brightness of those projectors you are considering in more modest surroundings (i.e. screen sizes).

At 9' in width for a 16:9 screen you are asking 123" diagonal. I wouldn't even attempt that with my XG without a Vutec 3.1 gain Torus and most will tell you I'm nuts!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Me nut's to WanMan.......but I like it!!!

Terry

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the moment I am using a 20 year old Panasonic CRT with only Composite inputs 480i "if that" and I'm sure is half the brightness of these newer NEC and I am running a 7' screen and for the most part it is not all that bad.

Now I'm not a videophile I just want a bit bigger and sharper image, I could remain at the 7' pic I have but 8 or 9' would be much better!

So you all agree that the increased resolution on the GP9 is not a big deal for my application?

And why can't I just run my Component outputs from the DVD player into the NEC's RGB component input. I thought all I need is some $3. adapters from Rat Shack? Is this the same with all CRT projectors?

Thanks for the help guy's!

Wes

·
Registered
609 Posts
Because your dvd players component output is NOT RGB - even though they color the plugs that way. At the least you need a vga - component transcoder which will run you about $150.00.

Seriously though - running an NEC PG at 640 x 480 (what you get from a component progressive output on a dvd player) is like driving a testarossa with a 1500 r.p.m. limiter on it. If you invest in a good projector like an NEC PG you should seriously consider using a different source than your set-top dvd player - like a HTPC - or buying at least a quadscan so you could line-triple or quadruple the image. The HTPC would serve you better though. They are a lot more flexible.

It wouldn't take a videophile to see the difference between the set top player straight and a using a PC scaled to 720p for example.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Can we get a picture of your current setup in action?
Yes it's on my site!
www.prosteering.8k.com

So to make it totally clear to me, the best I will be able to run with my DVD player alone is S-Video input 480i?

And second question is all the projectors Barco, Sony will be the same way?

I'm just trying to learn about all this stuff, but I had assumed I could run from my DVD player's Component RGB out to the Projectors separate Red Green Blue inputs using the RCA to BIN adapters. Will this not work at all?

Thanks for your patience!

Wes

·
Registered
609 Posts
this will not work at all. Only a very few CRT's have the kind of component input that corresponds to the output on a dvd player, and they cost a lot more than the additional $150.00 for a transcoder that you'd have to spend. A sony G-70, G-90 can I believe take that kind of input, and I think (though I am not sure) a component-video input board can be obtained for a Marquee. Maybe a couple other stragglers out there but the vast majority of them (PG's included) do not. The RGB inputs on the PG are not the same thing as the YUV component-video outputs on your toshiba dvd player there, no matter what color the plugs on it happen to be.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, this has never been explained to me before!

So where does one buy these transcoder? Any links?

So still this has not been answered, With a PG6 and a Prog. DVD player alone the best you can achieve is 480i through the s-video input?

Wes

·
Registered
609 Posts
directly connected, yes. 480i through the s-video or composite.

this is what you need to use the progressive output:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Hom...er/kdctca2.htm

you'd also need a HD15 to RGBHV cable - commonly referred to as a VGA breakout cable to go from the transcoder to the projector.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the links, I take it one is not better than the other?

So if you would'nt mind giving me a run down on resolutions?

480i s-video is what resolution? ________x_______

480p DVD player is ________x_______

480p HTPC ________x_______

Line Doubled 480p ________x_______

Line Quad 480p ________x_______

Laurence your right I have a tuff time staying awake through a movie in there! But I love it!

Wes

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tell me does the DVDO Iscan V2 do the same thing, I do not see how you feed 480p from a P-DVD player into it?

Just wondering?

Wes

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.