AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a NEC VT440 which unfortunately doesn't come with all the requisite cables to run audio or video. Does anyone know where I can order these? Preferably in Europe, but otherwise in N America?

There also seems to be a remote "mouse" - does this work well??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The NEC component video cables are 2m in length, same as the VGA cable supplied with the projector. If that length is sufficient, order the NEC cable from any online retailer that sells the projector and ships to Europe. The cost is approximately $80US plus shipping/handling/Customs.

If you need a longer length then I would get a custom quote from this vendor who sponsors this Forum:
http://www.bettercables.com/

As for the optional mouse/remote, it is good for presentations and includes a laser pointer. It does not offer much in the way of additional projector control functions above the standard RD-366E or RD-369E included with the NEC projector.

Gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am from the Netherlands and also own a VT440. I have purchased a 30 ft component to rgb cable at www.homecinemasource.com.

The service you get there is fantastic. My cable cost $90(+$36 for FedEx shipping, deliverd within 2 or 3 days).

Yesterday I also received a $25 VAT-invoice from FedEx Holland. That socks but the cable is excellent quality for the price and works fine. The visual difference with S-video is big!!!

Good luck, Loup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you for your replies. It looks as if nobody knows of a European vendor that could supply these cables. From what you say, to hook up the projector for home video, I need an "S-Video" cable then.

Gary, when you say that a remote control doesn't offer much more than the standard one included with the projector, you mean actual control of the projector itself, right? As I understand it, the optional remote actually functions just like a mouse during presentations, right? I mean you can point the thing and "click" on the screen, right?

Thanks again!!

Loup

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Yes the optional control is at the same time a remote, a mouse, and a laser pointer.

However, I am not sure how usable the optional remote mouse function is with the VT540 - I have only seen it in use with the other NEC projectors such as the LT150 which have a built in PC card reader and PC card viewer to allow presentation playback without a connected PC.

There is a customer service connection at the following web location which should be able to answer any specific questions you might have:
http://www.nec-pj.com/

Meanwhile, I am certain that this optional remote package includes a cable and a remote control PC utility for the projector which will work with the VT540 - some Forum members have used it and that is among my future plans for my own VT540. This function basicly allows you to substitute a home theater style wireless keyboard/mouse for some basic remote functions. However, I decided to build my own cable and download the software from the same web page. It just doesn't seem as important as watching movies, however....

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 07-14-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.