Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,

I've got a very bothersum greenish dust blob smack in the center of my picture. I did a search and tried vacuuming the filters etc. My big Q is about compressed air. I don't feel to comfertable with the canisters so could a guy use his air compressor @ say maybe something like 15psi and safely remove these blobs without damaging anything? Are the lcd panels subject to distruction from compressed air? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Jayson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jayson

I also had a dust blob in my Nec VT540, i opened the Projector and cleaned the filters , when the dust still was there is also cleaned the Lens, i used a airbus for cleaning, after that the dust was gone.

So just open the nec ( careful ) and airspray the lens.

good luck

Patrick,

The Netherlands

God bless america

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If you mean an ordinary air compressor, I don't think I would try that. Regular piston compressors use lubricating oil and even when fitted with an oil seperator, the air isn't completely oil-free.

The micro-dusters typically are oil-free, but if you tilt them, there may be some liquid flourocarbon propellant that comes out the nozzle. I think we were supposed to phase out such propellants, but I still see such on the shelf at Fry's and other places. Canned air is better for the ozone layer but doesn't last very long, is the problem.

I use whatever I can buy, and a nozzle with a couple of swivel joints to avoid tilting the can while using it.

Gary

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I successfully blasted a greenie from one of the VT540 that have crossed my theater (not sure if it was the current one). I had to blast through the space between the focus dial and frame.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I'll give the canned air a try. I would prefer not to open the case but if I can't get it from the gap around the focus ring I'll open it up. Will this void the warranty? It's got 115hrs on it.

Jayson

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Don't ask. Don't tell (even if they ask). Don't know. Just make sure that no liquid sprays.

Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well shot two cans of air into every hole I could find. Opened the case and shot air into the lens itself and nothing seemed to work, the blob is still there. Any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions. I had the circuit board off above the lens assembly and it looks like there is a cover that provides access to the lcds but I didn't remove it, didn't want to screw anything up. I have no idea how fragile these panels are. So any other ideas? should we learn to live with it? send it in for a cleaning?

Jayson

·
Registered
423 Posts
I took off the filters, partly opened the case (I couldn't figure out how to get it completely apart), and vacuumed everywhere I could reach with a small nozzle extension on a fairly high powered vacuum cleaner. The third time, it worked.

BTW- How do you take this thing apart, anyway?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drmyeyes

There are screws on the btm, inside the lamp area, one under the handle, and one inside the front filter cover. Then the top kinda lifts off from the back to the front. There are also some plastic nubs(don't know there tech. name) around that fit into slots to help keep the top in place. The are just snug and require a little gentle pull to get the top completly off. Be aware I didn't find any real good areas that could be cleaned inside. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places!

Jayson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.