AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from NEC VT540 owners who have sent their projectors to the Roselle, IL service center in the past 12 months. Mine is on its way there as I write this for the firmware upgrade to correct the "tearing" problem caused by MacroVision-protected DVD's when viewed in progressive 480p mode through the VGA port.

Basically, when can I expect to get my projector back (I FedEx-ed mine overnight; they should get it tomorrow)? How was your experience? Any horror stories that I should worry over?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I will answer my own question: 72 hours! Actually, it was even less than that: NEC FedExed the projector back to me by the most expensive morning overnight service and it was back at my doorstep at 9:05 this morning. The projector now correctly displays 480p DVD's through the VGA port--sweet!

By the way, in case anyone familiar with my setup is wondering--I have given up on HTPC DVD playback. Too many damn stutters and hiccups for what (to my eyes) is a negligible improvement over my brand-new standalone progressive DVD player. It is sooooo nice to be able to pop in a DVD and start watching a movie, without having to worry about when (not if, when) the next freeze-up would occur.

I'm still using my HTPC's accessDTV card for HDTV recording, but I swear to the AV gods that as soon as a consumer HD-TiVo or a reasonably-priced HDTV VCR appears, my computer is going back where it belongs--in my office!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Scott, is there an easy way to determine for certain if one has the new firmware? I have one of the service units*. It is not a K unit.

Thanks!

*I had a problem (which is now happening with the new unit) where it would indicate a temperature error when it is turned on. The last one did it if the projector was left on for 2-4 hours, shut off for an hour or two, then turned back on. The new one is occationally doing this the next day! Anyone seen this?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man E, mine is also a refurbished unit (bought from abigpicture back in March 2001), not a "K" unit. There is no way to tell by just looking at the unit, and calling NEC Customer Support and giving them the serial number of the projector doesn't work either (I tried).

The only way to know for certain that you don't have the firmware upgrade is to plug in a progressive scan DVD player and try viewing a recent DVD title that is MacroVision-protected (that's how I discovered that mine didn't have it). Not all DVD's have MacroVision; I just bought It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World three weeks ago and MGM did not copy protect it for some reason.

If you play a MacroVision-protected DVD on a player that is running in progressive 480p mode and your VT540 does not have the firmware upgrade, you will see the top 10% or so of the picture "skew" sharply to the right. If your VT540 has the upgrade, MacroVision-protected DVD's should play perfectly in 480p mode without any picture distortion whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my VT540 used from a guy on East coast.

I am having the macrovision/progressive problem mentioned in this thread.

I called NEC and they told me to send the unit for a firmware update. The strange thing is they gave me a address that starts with "Recovery Center..".

What is the adress you shipped your unit to ?

thanks

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry dude, but I can't seem to lay my hands on the address. I do remember it was somewhere in Illinois, I think.

If you called NEC Customer Care at 1-800-836-0655, I am certain that they gave you the correct address, but you could always call them back to confirm. Be sure to use the original box with the "trampoline" inserts to ship the projector so that it is well-protected. (NEC was nice enough to ship the projector back to me in a brand new box, btw.)

I FedExed my projector next-day air (and insured for $3,000!) for about $75 and it was worth it--NEC uses FedEx next-day to ship your projector back, so your total down time is only 3 days.

ciao...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Scott (or anyone else that had their VT540 shipped back to NEC),

Is the VT540 firmware upgrade a freebie even if your projector is out of warranty? I recently got a Panny RP56 and I am experiencing the "white bar on top" when in progressive mode. Also, does NEC tech support tend to know what you're talking about when you ask about Macrovision and firmware upgrade ?

Thanks,

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.