AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEC VT650 Has anyone seen this projector? My dealer here in Puerto Rico is suggesting Nec over the likes of Marantz VP 12S1, Sharp xv z9000, Sony 11ht. Pimary use will be progressive DVD for now but HD capability is a must. My budget for a projector+ screen is 6K and under. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Yeah, I have a suggestion: If you don't need the higher lumen output of the VT650, save yourself a thousand bucks and get the NEC VT540K, which has all the features of the VT650 except the higher light output.

I've had a VT540 in my home theater for over a year now and have been very satisfied with its light output in Economode (which isn't even the full 1,000 lumens the projector is capable of). The throw of my projector is just a shade over 14', though... if you have a longer throw, that would seem to me to be the ONLY reason to favor the more expensive 650 over the 540K...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott, my dedicated room will be 25'L x 17'W and I would like to have a 16x9 fixed screen, maybe 120" diagonal, would that be an appropiate screen size for a 15' viewing distance? How about screen door in this projector?What is the contrast ratio? Are blacks a problem with it?How will the image compare to the above mentioned projectors? Your insights are very much appreciated. Would you happen to have any digital pics of the images?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Luis D Silva
Scott, my dedicated room will be 25'L x 17'W and I would like to have a 16x9 fixed screen, maybe 120" diagonal, would that be an appropiate screen size for a 15' viewing distance? How about screen door in this projector?What is the contrast ratio? Are blacks a problem with it?How will the image compare to the above mentioned projectors? Your insights are very much appreciated. Would you happen to have any digital pics of the images?
My screen is 90" x 54", which works out to about 104" diagonal. (I came up with this oddball 1.67:1 ratio because I found it to be the best compromise between 16:9 and 4:3 for this projector; I zoom the VT540 lens all the way in for widescreen material and zoom it nearly all the way back for 4:3 stuff.) Since your screen area is about 37% larger and your throw (I'm assuming the long dimension of your room is the projection axis) is 79% longer, you may indeed need the extra lumen output of the VT650.

I don't find my VT540's screen door effect objectionable from my home theater's 13' viewing distance, but as I said my screen size is significantly smaller than yours... if I were you I would definitely find a way to audition the projector first if screen door is a concern.

The manufacturer's contrast ratio rating is 400:1, but everyone knows that manufacturer ratings for contrast are always a bit inflated. I have found my VT540's contrast to be acceptable; YMMV. I do think the VT540's blacks could be blacker, but this can be remedied somewhat with a gray projection screen; go to the Screens forum here at AVS and you will find abundant information on this subject. As for the projectors you mentioned, I am only familiar with the Sony unit. While I think the Sony has the better picture, the VT540 was MUCH cheaper, and the difference in quality was not enough to justify the extra expense of the Sony.

I only have a few pictures (these are from the DISH HDTV demo reel):

http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterplex/hdtv_demo_1_composite.jpg http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterp..._composite.jpg

http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterplex/hdtv_demo_2_composite.jpg http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterp..._composite.jpg

http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterplex/hdtv_demo_3_composite.jpg http://www.scottgammans.com/scooterp..._composite.jpg

These are composite photos of actual HDTV screen shots composited with a picture of my projection screen that was taken in normal room lighting. The reason these are composite photos is simple: if I tried taking a digital pic with the room lights on it would wash out the HDTV image, and if I merely posted the HDTV captures the rest of the picture would be pitch black. I would say that these three composite shots give a reasonable approximation of what it looks like to sit in my home theater watching HDTV.

As I said before, I strongly suggest you find a way to audition this projector (or any projector, for that matter) before you buy. Keep in mind also that neither the VT540K nor the VT650 have DVI inputs (VGA d-sub 15 pin, s-video and composite video only), so if the MPAA ever succeeds in getting HDTV set top box manufacturers to adopt HDCP, you're screwed.

Good luck...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott, thanks for your excellent insights, really appreciate them,BTW, your pics look great, just a question by DVI you mean component video input?If not please clarify

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Luis D Silva
Scott, thanks for your excellent insights, really appreciate them,BTW, your pics look great, just a question by DVI you mean component video input?If not please clarify
No, Digital Video Interface, the digital connectors on some projectors and monitors that allow a direct digital connection to a video source (e.g., a computer video card) without an intervening digital-analog-digital conversion. I should also clarify that having a DVI connector does not necessarily mean that a projector or monitor is HDCP-ready, but lack of such a connector almost certainly guarantees that it will not work with an HDCP video source. (Component video, by the way, can only be fed into the VT540K and the VT650 through the VGA port.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got my VT 650 and set it up last night.

I could not be happier. there are places selling it as low as 2599 so I think that it is the best gift that I have ever bought myself.

I have seen a few projectors in my life(including the 9000), I have owned 2 sharpvisions, and I have to say that I am smiling from ear to ear (this is only my humble opinion and I am a novice though). It's a Great PROJECTOR for a great price. I can't wait to get my AVIA DVD to see how much better it can get.

Thanks for everyone's help from this site.

AVSFORUM IS THE BEST....AND VERY ADDICTING

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
iamjim,

If you get a chance, and have a good camera, could you post a few screen shots? I, like Scott Gammans, am a vt540 owner. I'm pretty curious to hear your experiences with the big brother to my projector.

-Jon

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a horrible photographer unfortunatly.My friend how owns a VT540 is going to come over this week and we will do a comparison.

BUT I AM STILL SMILING. IT'S an awsome projecter , and and that price, I can't picture.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Luis:

My 540k is ~21' from the wall it projects on and the brightness is just fine in regular mode. Actually I sometimes run it in economode for better blacks/contrast (and quieter fan) and have no problems. If your room is dedicated and you can control the light it will be even less of an issue for you - my room also serves as my living room so there is always ambient light during the day.

I project directly onto my wall. I watch TV in a reduced window of about 90" diagonal and I watch widescreen DVDs about 10' (!) wide. My viewing distance is about 14' or 15' and I don't have any issues with screen door.

I've been very satisfied with the quality and performance of this projector which I've had about 6 months. The price was equivalent to a Circuit City level rear projection TV and since my screen is a gazillion times larger, I think the price is more than fair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.