AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a really nice deal on the unit - under $400.... but they flipping morons left it running on a blue screen the whole time.

7500 hours on tubes and machine.

To my newbie eye its still putting out a decent picture at first glance under a quick setup even with S Videoin from DVD player not scaled and on white wall.

But yes under white test screen I can see burn in 4:3 on both sides 6" to 8" in at 7' size.

Can this unit still be used, can I adjust the areas out of the frame?

Can I get anytime out of this unit? If not what are my options.

Please dont bother telling me its a useless unit only if your looking to buy it and retube it and resell it.

I was hoping to go 8'-9' wide in light controlled room on 1.3 or so gain DIY or manufactured screen.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sure just adjust your image to fit inside the wear pattern.

My mate has an XG with 15,000 hrs on it and he is still watching it, so go for it.

Try not to get tooo caught up in 'the perfect picture' *something* will always be better.

If you are happy with the uncalibrated picture, then you are going to be absolutely ecstatic when it is all set up/calibrated/focussed with a scaled picture via RGB. I am sure it will look fantastic.

Remember if you like the picture, then that is all that matters. And in a light controlled room, an 8ft wide image should look pretty good - check out the bigger than 10ft thread if ya don't believe me.

Full steam ahead I say!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats excellent news.

Yes, I was very surprised to see it look like ANYTHING decent on a wall at a poor resolution on a crappy cable focused only by me moving it back forth on a block of wood!'

I think your right about the proper setup.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
What I've found is that with anything more than a bit of wear, a good white balance is hard to achieve. The chassis is barely broken in at 7500 hours (;)). If you're up to it, change the G and B tubes with VDC's, they have been doing awesome rebuilds on the XG's recently, and change the STK chips on the F board.

MAke sure you have the setup remote, download the manual if you do not have it, and READ it carefully and in order before trying to converge.

Curt

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Wear smare, if it makes a picture YOU are happy with, who cares ?

Ideally you want little or no wear so you can get a proper white balance, but if you can't have that, you can't have it, don't sweat it.

Keep an eye out for some tubes or save up for some VDC's and do it when you can.

In the mean time, enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment setup and convergence seems daunting enough...so replacing a tube makes me cringe! I am a CRT owner for 3 hours now.

The plan was to try and make the most of it as is...adjust out some of the wear if possible (due to the purchase situation I could not test it) - run it as low as possible as far as brightness etc and live with it for a year or so then repair it if CRT was satisfying.

Do I run the risk of blowing anything else out by running those areas out of the frame? I assume this has to push something harder. in the chain...Ill go back and reread your primer.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
True, make the image narrow so that you're within the wear area. And I would not try to change the tubes if you're a CRT newbie, the NEC's are about the hardest to do.

See if you like the pix, or post some here of the green wear (it wears the fastest) and we'll comment on how good the pic will be.:)

Curt

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once I learn how to take it apart to see the faces Ill post the pics - I am certain there is some healthy burn in 4:3 mode.

What was that board or chip upgrade you mentioned?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Mount it too far back and you'll automatically have too small a raster and it will be easy to stay within the burned area.

Why bother turning things down? Run the piss out of it, the tubes are burned already, you might as well have as bright an image as you can. The burn thats there already is going to cut your light output, so you'll have to push it harder.

Pushing your projector harder in regards to contrast and brightness is only a concern if you want to PRESERVE your tubes. You don't care to do that, so don't bother turning things down. You won't hurt anything else by having it bright enough to see.

Do a very good job on your physical setup and convergence to minimize stress on these components. If you do set it up too far back and run the image only in the already burned area, this should make for a very stress free convergence as it will be mainly in the center of the tubeface.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The image in person is considerably better.

Taking screenshots must be an art - Ill figure it out eventually.

White wall - S Video in from DVD player

7' wide (bent at bottom)

9' from CRT faces

Dark room

"Total amatuer lets see if works setup"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
Nothing wrong with that ???

Did you cut off the wear or is it setup within the worn area ?
They had it set up like a rear projection - mirrors onto opaque glass.

I just set it back till it looked in focus (or close -I mean yes I can see blues and reds out etc on some scenes)

The lower edges were keystoning way in (I think thats what U call it)

By no means a good setup. 5 minute setup to see if it all worked.

The wear area is in the image yes - mainly on the right - if I display a light scene I can see it. In the test mode with a white screen it is bad on both sides - You wont see it on this screenshot though.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same setup - you can see the 6-8" wear area on the far right side.

Obviously would look much worse on white scene.

Brightness and contrast were up in the 60's which I did not know.

Brought those down some after this screenshot.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That looks fine man - good score for 400 bucks.

Wait till you get a 720P image fed into it....

·
Registered
299 Posts
I lived with mine like that for a year until I upgraded. I was the only one who noticed. Most people were busy wiping the drool off of their chins. :)

Pete

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would love to score a NEC XG 110 for about $400!!! I have a 6pg with medium wear on the green tube, but man does it throw a really nice pic!! Only I seem to notice it on brightly lit scenes. Any guests I have never seem to notice it at all. So chill out and enjoy the thrills of crt ownership. I wouldn't worry about the wear. HD looks totally awesome on my 6pg. Once you see it on your XG, it will be VERY hard to view dvds again.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally posted by dokworm
That looks fine man - good score for 400 bucks.

Wait till you get a 720P image fed into it....
I dont want to get anyone more envious but I actually got for $350 not $400.

I got two actually for that price, a friend bought one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
" dont want to get anyone more envious but I actually got for $350 not $400"

You do know that we all hate you now, don't you :)

Great deal, I think the pics look great and it's not even setup. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazzx
I dont want to get anyone more envious but I actually got for $350 not $400.

I got two actually for that price, a friend bought one.

Let me clarify that makes it sound like I got two for $350.

No they were $350 per unit. Still a great deal.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
No kidding. I would still be dancing if I had gotten one for 350

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.