Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

somebody in my area is selling an XG 1350. Pretty cheap, I think ($1000) except I haven't seen the tubes. What would be an acceptable level of wear for that price? Does VDC retube those, and for what price?

Also, what is the difference between the 1350 and the 135 (and other non-LC 8" NEC's)? Are there substantial pq differences?

I hear the NEC's are substantially more difficult to setup than other brands. I can read a manual and follow instructions, but this will be my first pj (if I buy it of course) - how hard is the setup, really?

Finally, what about maintenance? Are parts available easily, not too expensive, is it possible to swap parts yourself?

Feel free to add anything relevant - thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave G
Hello,

somebody in my area is selling an XG 1350. Pretty cheap, I think ($1000) except I haven't seen the tubes. What would be an acceptable level of wear for that price? Does VDC retube those, and for what price?
For a grand, I'd think you should find minor wear on all tubes, perhaps 4 or 5 thousand hours on them. I'm not sure about VDC rebuilds.

Quote:
Also, what is the difference between the 1350 and the 135 (and other non-LC 8" NEC's)? Are there substantial pq differences?
The XG 1350 is the highest H-scan rate of all the XG's...other than that, it's basically the same pj as the XG75, 85 or 1100.

Quote:
I hear the NEC's are substantially more difficult to setup than other brands. I can read a manual and follow instructions, but this will be my first pj (if I buy it of course) - how hard is the setup, really?
For a first timer...this could be very tough, if you go for it, you need to ask questions. Others have done well with it, some have screw them up, and end up selling them because they "think" they have broke them...only to find out later the pj was fine. It was just their inability to set it up that caused all the problems.

Quote:
Finally, what about maintenance? Are parts available easily, not too expensive, is it possible to swap parts yourself?
Are they inexpensive, some are, some aren't. I would say there are enough people on this forum that deal with NEC, parts should be easy to find. Much of the XG is simply boards that slid in & out...doesn't get much easier than that!

Outstanding pj when setup right, but for the first timer, it is tough, you will be frustrated more than once.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenny - appreciate the feedback :)

I would really like to know the rebuild price though. VDC lists all kinds of tubes on their website but no price (even though there's an empty 'price' column... anyhow...)

I checked out crtcinema.com and the new tubes are $560 each. I would hope rebuilds are less expensive. Anybody's used vdc for nec tubes before?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dave these babies are far too finicky and stress producing for a guy on his first CRT... expect to replace probably green ,Maybe blue too ,definately if they have text burn ..

CRTs new or rebuilt they look the same and will cost 560 ea so factor this in ..plus doing the install and setup ...

You must also be comfortable working around 30,000volts + of electricity

I think instead you would be better served to move on to something easier to deal with like a nice Marquee 8500 ....Ya thats the ticket!!

Now what is this guys name and phone number please send me a PM with info .and Iwill deal with this guy !!(LOL!)

regrds

Mark

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark, are you saying rebuilding is the same cost as getting new???

·
Registered
423 Posts
My very first PJ, the one I've been using now for 8 months is an XG-852. I knew nothing about CRT projectors when I got mine and I had a watchable picture within a week or two (experimenting a few hours a day, here and there with all the adjustments)

The XG-852 (and I think also the XG-1352) have an "ACAT" feature, that allows you to very quicky setup convergence and alignment. It's a "quick and dirty" setup that employs point convergence so its not a highly stable, highly accurate or preferred setup mode, but it allows you to get your PJ going quickly. I don't think the1350 had this, however.

In recent months I've learned how to setup my PJ without using the ACAT or any point convergence. It can't be emphasised strong enough, but the key to a successful setup is a good mechanical setup, in other words proper alignment of the projector and your screen. My setups were mediocre until I got really serious with this.

Since I never owned an "easier" projector, I couldn't say just how easy one of those would be comparsed to an XG. Although I have some frustrations, I generally feel that the effort is rewarding, and its especially rewarding knowing that I have a great PJ without thinking I should have got something "better".

If the tubes are worn, you definitely willl need to spend MUCH more than a grand for professional tube replacement and tubes. On the other hand, if its only one or two tubes that need replacement (and if the pj is in otherwise good condition) you can use it as a bargaining issue, taking the position that a PJ with bad tubes isn't worth much.

If its within your budget to factor in a professional tube replacement and setup, then the XG setup challenge is not really an issue. Just my $0.02

david

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I started just as DJordan, with an XG, since the first setup I've setup three of them approx 10-12 times (I erased my first XG1350's setup several times just learning and redoing it) My latest XG110LC has been done once, but I think I can do better (it's been a good 6 months) so within the next couple weeks I'm starting over again.

My first XG took about a week to get a decent picture out of, and a month to master, and get a better picture.

Even today after 10-12 full setups it takes me all day to do mine.

After owning two XG's I decided to try a couple other brands, so I bought a Ampro 3600 and used a E'home 8500...in contrast, I can set either one of those up in about 3 to 4 hours...both are simple in comparison, yet throw an outstanding picture as well.

I sold them and went back to another XG110LC, it took between 12 -15 hours to get it right.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys.

It turns out the pj is going to be in an auction (my school is getting rid of them). I emailed the person asking if it's possible to see it before bidding, but frankly this is looking less and less interesting.

And comments about the setup are giving me cold feet... Oh well :(

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yeah, unless you have electronic calibration experience I'd say get something easier to setup. I sold my second XG to some who thought he could handle it. At first everything seemed ok, but as weeks went by and he started diving deeper into the pj and it's setup, his posts got more and more complicated until after about a month he was blaming me for selling him a broken projector! He then sold it to someone familiar with it, I got an e-mail a couple day later saying the pj was fine, it was just his setup that had screwed it up.

If your after a good pj, that sets up easily, take a look at a E'home Marquee 8500, you can get them on E-bay for about $1,200 with good tubes. It's a highend unit that can handle any resolution you care to send to it. Once it's on the ceiling, you can finish it's setup in a couple hour (minus any CPC magnet work)

In fact if you go here you can see what I mean
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...020419386&rd=1

Looking closely at the tube pictures, the green shows the most wear, but it is minor, the blue shows the same even pattern, but it sames to have less wear, the red may be showing even less, if at all, I don't know if I see a faint wear line near the bottom, or if it's just my imagination.

I would think this pj would be easily worth 2 grand...his shipping weight is off by about 2-300 lbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.