AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horror! I thought I was going to loose my XG! I was powering up my HTPC and I hear this crackling sound from inside the hush box. I look inside and there was a fire roasting my XG! Quickly I pull the hushbox off and put out the small fire.

Luckily the foam I used in the hush box is fire retardant and the fire was kept small. Also the fire was under the a metal cage so no damage was done except for some soot that was easily wiped clean.

I found a couple of components that look like diodes burned and in-bedded in the hushbox foam. They popped and burned off the H-DEF PWB . They were two twisted together. They were located at the edge of the board near the large heat sink. It is labeled SG5101 and are the same as the components on SG5102(looks to have a crack and will probably fail also).

The projector seems to be working fine. The only side effect was that the raster moved in one direction but I was able to correct it with raster centering.

What are these components and what are their values? I'd like to replace them. What would cause these to fail?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Are those the 2 diodes next to IC 5151?

I can scan that page and send it to you.

Marc

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good thing you didn't use something flammable for your insulation. You could have burned your house down.

Most components have a reason for failing. Usually being pushed too close to their operational limits causes most failure. Heat is another one. I use the analogy of driving your car through a cornfield. Sure it will work, but for how long? Take a look at the temp inside your hushbox. What about airflow? Then again, freak occurances happen. It wouldn't hurt to check.

-Garrick

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
These components are surge supressors.

Terry

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always monitor the husbox temp. There is good airflow and the internal temp is always 90F.

Marc, component that failed was in between a large capacitor(C5101) and a large diode(D5115). They were labeled SG5101. The one I think will fail is labeled SG5102 and is in betweend c5102 and d5116. This is on an xg1352lc HDEF PWB.

I'd be very greatful for acan of the service manual page. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The same thing happened to mine two years ago.

Read this thread [url} http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=spark+gaps [/url]

Be sure to follow the thread to the end as I have posted some photos as well.

The great news is that it was cheep to fix and the projector has been superb and perfectly stable ever since.

Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Torre, That's exactly what happened with my projector, even at the same location...... difference is that it caused a small fire that almost gave me a heart attack!

I'll replace them with the same components you did. I also noticed that there is another spark gap set on the other end of the board that is cracked. I'll replace those too.

Have you had any problems with your set since you made the repair?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheez
Have you had any problems with your set since you made the repair?
The projector has been perfect ever since.

You probably will not believe this, but I have not even had to adjust the convergence since then. Almost two years!!! And yes, its still near perfect.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, problem solved then. Great! Now putting manual back on shelf.

Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.