AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just sampled back and forth between 48hz and 72hz through my Leeza. I clearly like 72hz.

I do not need a machine to tell me the red lens has an orange hue on my XG NEC (just look into the lens when it is on). Gray scale tracking is perfect. Color decoding on Leeza checks out. It is a filtering problem.

It is not just is it filtered to the right color? But also how well is it filtered?

As for being spoiled by red push well: A Mits WS65712 calibrated and a Sony 550 calibrated have broadcast quility color decoding. No red push or errors in the green channel.

But when looking at the Sony side by side to the Mits, the Mits clearly has greater color. When watching a Bulls game the Sony makes the uniforms a bit pinkish or rose colored, while the Mits has a much truer and real reproduction of the real color of the uniforms. Another example would be 5th Element. On the Sony her hair is "rust" colored. On the MITS it is an awsome orange. Both sets have color corrected lens along with accurate color decoders(when calibrated). Plus the Sony takes on an all over amber hue like my NEC XG.

So I am going to buy the Runco 991 Ultra lens and slap them on my projector. The fact that my projector has more light ouput than a Runco DTV1200 tells me my color corecting lens are sub par.

I will give you guys some before and after pictures. Just give me about a month.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What are you measuring the CIE xy color coordinates of the red gun to be? That will help us figure out if something is odd with your tubes and filters.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
That is the difference between dichroic filtering and regular lens filters I bet.

I can say I saw a clear difference between a mitsubishi dichroic filtered 1281 and any other pj I saw... There is a MP thread addressing dichroic filtering glass you can add to a pj and where to get it.

Mitsubishi knew what they were doing. They may not always be as serivceable as others, but quality was bar none.

Troy

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Interesting.

I have measured the primary colors of the XGLC (color corrected CElement) and the XG nonLC (color corrected lens element) and they always measure very close to the CIE xy coordinates where they should be. In fact, they are closer than any other CRT I have measured and the LC model is a bit better than the nonLC.

Her hair is orange in some scenes. Like when she is standing on the ledge and they do a closeup of her face you can see orange hair with blonde roots.

Terry

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Maybe your eyes are not calibrated :)

In all seriousness, when my CRT was calibrated and the greyscale set.

The calibration machine, the calibrator, and my wife said the color of test image was grey.

I said no, the grey screen image had a green tinge to it when I was looking at it. Even with other test images I saw differently from what they saw. Some how either my brain or eyes just dont think that grey at 6500k is grey.

I logged the correct calibrated settings, then I adjust the green down (maybe my wife now believes there is a slight blue tinge to the images).

clopez

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
terry,

did you ever measure the coordinates with clear lense (blue lens on red tube, non-LC of cause)?

Roland

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Roland, I haven't (got to ask....why would I???lol). But I have measured many Barcos and I assume that the phospher is the same or close and they are way off the x,y coordinates.

Terry

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Are the new tubes new NECs? Maybe they are the culprit....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Terry,

I just read somwhere that te tubes MEC made for NEC had a different red phosphor. Just was curious if the NEC P16 and the Sony P16 were different in phosphor type...

Roland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.