Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Curt Palme just helped me setup my latest toy. The Faroudja NR scaler with my Nec Xg 75 projector.

And the picture is awesome. I finally saw the difference between anamorphic dvd's and letterbox. And does it ever make a difference.

Secondly the Faroudja NRS is also way easier to use than my former Quadscan scaler. The picture is stunning and by far better than the Quadscan.

Thanks John for selling me this scaler for such a good price.

Now I can also play PS2 on a big screen with stunning graphics. This project took over a year to put together but finally I am happy.

Thanks all who have giving there advice the last 12 months.

Sincerely, Brian

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Congratulations with your stunning hometheater setup. Now you can happily go into the winter-season. You did the right thing and got help and advice from a pro like Curt.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Well, I was going to start my own thread, but since Bryan has already posted...

I bought Bryan's 'reject', his Quadscan. hooked it up this morning to a 2000 hour NEC XG-135 in line tripling mode.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

Since my S-video cable packed it in, I am only running composite into the Quad, but what an amazing difference over my old NEC IDC 1000 11 year old line doubler. Even with my current monoscopic vision, my regular crappy cablevision feed thru my VCR looks almost HDTV-like. (OK, not really, but it still is amazing!)

Thanks Bryan!

Curt

·
Registered
267 Posts
Brian

Can you explain your rate choice in more detail? If you have a 4:3 screen, why did you pick the 1280x720 over the 1024x768 as you suggested in your reply to my post about rate choice for a G70. I also have a 4:3, and am wondering why you chose one over the other.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

First of all, Curt I am very happy that you like the Quadscan scaler. I think that you would be happy with it. Especially when you use it to demo your Crt projectors to potential buyers.

Secondly, Moe I chose the 1280x720 NR because it was offered to me used for a very good price and 16:9 was the only option.

But I checked with Jeff Davis at Faroudja tech support. To make sure that a 16:9 NR rate would work with a CRT and 4x3 aspect ratio screen. And Jeff assured me that it would work as long as the my projector was setup at that scan rate with my screen.

And also allowing the Faroudja NR scaler to do the aspect ratio control. And it performs it beautifully.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Nope, I only ever had that NEC IDC 1000.

The Quad ROCKS! Hooked it tonight to a 6 PG with a new blue tube, no point convergence, and slight 4:3 wear on the green, and it still kicked! Despite my monoscopic vision and crappy convergence job because of it, I cannot believe how good the 6 PG looked.

One problem now; I have to preface all of my sales pitches with:

"This is a reference picture set up my professionals. Your actual picture at home may vary..:D "

I will check into becoming a Quadscan dealer tomorrow. The distributor is local. For most of these units, a DVDO (although cheap and good) simply does not do many of these sets justice.

Egad, I'm even happy watching regular crappy Shaw cable through the Quad. Just wait 'till I move, and get satellite. I'll never move off the couch again. Projector sales be damned! (Oh, just kidding!)

Curt

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

I have had my Faroudja NR for about a week now. And I am even more impressed with this than ever. I was never really impressed with the picture using the Quadscan.

I just used the Video Essential's dvd to calibrate the picture. But I used the Faroudja's picture controls such as adjusting brightness, contrast, color, and tint.

Is this okay to do or do I really need to adjust it using the CRT's adjustments.

I was leary about trying to adjust the NEC projector since Curt did such a good job of setting it up.

I am becoming more like a videophile every day.

Thanks, Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.