AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A warning to those contemplating an NEC XG series machine. Now that NEC no longer manufactures the machines replacement parts are now scarce. In my case, I've been trying to get a HVPS replaced since November of 2002. Definitely a factor to keep in mind when selecting a used CRT.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Guy, send it to me for repair if you want.

I'll try and get a bunch of people together here in Vancouver so you can come up and make some money while I'm repairing your supply..:)

But I agree, NEC has been pretty bad at replacement parts, which is why I've been hoarding XG and PG parts...

Curt

Curt

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug Baisey has been trying for months to get either a replacement board or the components needed to repair my board. It sounds as if even the parts needed for component level repairs are getting hard to obtain.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Guys what sort of parts are you trying to get ???

Are they wound parts (transformers) or semiconductors or what ?? There must be a number of common failure parts. Sent me a list along with the manufacturers. I haven't worked sourcing electronic components for 20 years and not built up a huge resource of suppliers and some very sources for odd parts for nothing.

Graham

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know the specific part as Doug is the one doing the footwork. From the notes I've received it sounds like a NEC proprietary IC on the board. Otherwise, I'm sure he'd have gotten an equivalent by now.

Appreciate the offers of help. I'm waiting to see how this plays out, but I really would like to get the machine running again.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Part number please Guy !!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Guy,

I have found a co that works on NEC stuff and is a factory authorized repair shop that has helped me in the past.

Is this your HVPWB that Doug is trying to repair?? Seems to me he mentioned that there was something wrong with yours.

I _may_ and let me emphasize _MAY_ have one I could get to you. It would need to be setup (adjust protect 1, protect 2 and 32KV)

Terry

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Mark, those are the LV supplies. Guy need the HV supply board.

Curt

·
Registered
126 Posts
Duh,

Indeed you are correct Curt... my irraidiated friend ....Sheesh , either not enough coffee this morning or a blond moment returning to me from my youth...... before my hair went grey(LOL!)

but luckily I also have HV boards as well

Mark

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Add yet another month of down time. Mark is now trying to obtain a board for me. Doug still has had no final success with NEC or his own repair attempts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This board supplier ONLY takes money orders and ONLY ships post which is frustrating as couriers are my SOP.. .. the good news is however ..I should have new board in my hands by Monday or Tuesday.

This gets it to Guy Fedex by Wednesday next week ....

Then As he says he will be "watching black again":)

Mark

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Black! Black! Black!

I guess the only good thing about being down it that I am less tempted to go watch things instead of working on AVIA Pro. Depending on how you count the patterns and their mulitple variations, the disc set is going to end up with two to five multiples of 1,000 basic video test patterns.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Guy, I feel for you buddy. I've got a new NEC tube order in and it's 5 months old. I bet a new HVPS is going to be pretty expensive. About now, I'd be looking for a XG with fried tubes for a parts machine for about the same money.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi Guys,

The HV board of Guys is repaired but ended up having to swap parts around from a non LC. Went to ship and forgot to add the extra fan connector and components for the LC model, the extra time was my fault and not being in town enough.

I spoke to NEC about this many times and they were suppose to add extra US stock from Japan, that came back as a back order also. So they are dependent on Japan now.

I was working on a repair 'kit' so we would have these for back up but adding the parts up its not going to be cheap. The HP100 transistors run quite high at my supplier, IC5501-5502 hard to locate.

Its just not the repair to worry about, its getting the HV protect 1-2 to come into spec and took the IC5501 oscillator.

I spread myself way to thin for time when I retired but promised to keep some of the companys that were with me over the last 15 years, Im getting caught up just using more time then I had.

Having stock sure would have helped during that time.

The problem I see now most projector models are running outside the years to support so Japan doesnt add weight to that. The last remaining XG852-1352 are bordering on that now, the gov stock required by law to support these is getting used up by non NEC and shouldnt have been sold in the first place.

I try to buy up anything new that I find to support the NEC CRTs in general but only have limited funds to work with from back orders being secured until they ship.

If it wasnt for Curt, Tinman, Paul, Terry, Chuck as well as others looking out for these it would be a all day job just locating parts that are not in stock.

I suggest keeping any failed boards for rebuilding, deflection, crt power boards and HV boards especially. As time allows these can be done, 5 months is not acceptable I agree.

Having a extra HV, deflection board rebuilt for a back up would be peace of mind.

If any of you do sell your projector and have extra boards that have failed, Id like to get these so I can stock a rebuilt in case we need them.

After Dallas Ill have more free bench time. Doug

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm wondering - -

With the problems reported in getting HVPS boards, deflection boards and so forth, would it be worth it just to leave my XG1350 running 24/7, and simply muting the picture when not watching instead of turning it off?

I realize that this will build up the chassis hours very rapidly; but the tubes won't wear if they are muted and every time I turn the thing on and off, it has to bring up the various power supplies. I wonder if the stress of turn-on/turn-off cycles (once per day unless I'm out of town) is more prone to damage stuff than simply leaving the unit on unless I'm gone for extended periods of time.

Any thoughts from the tech types?

John C.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After being down since Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May and.......... Thanks to Mark, I may actually have a projector running again soon. He has found me a HVPS board.

Waiting on NEC...... who knows when (if ever) a board can be fixed or replaced? I checked once a month with Doug and even he couldn't effect any action.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes Guy, I just sent you tracking number for FEDEX

overnight so you should have in your hands tommorrow ..

I can see your hands trembling with anticipation already but try to get some sleep .

and dont be looking out the window everyhalf an hr for that fedex truck (LOL!)

And yes they will be fixable in the future, I have 4 in here for repair right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.