AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all of you NEC users what sort of resolution are you running with your XG110?

Are they custom resoultions with Powerstrip?

What kind of refresh rate?

I can't decide what to do!!!

Alun

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I tried many, but for my taste, the best was 1440X960 at 72hz refresh rate.

My XG went from looking very good to looking refined. (as refined as a DIY'er is going to get it)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey KennyG, where have you been? Do you think that that high of a resolution is pushing your projector at all?

I'm still learning a bit with powerstrip and would like to know how you set the refresh is it horiz. or vert or a sum of both ( if that makes any sense!)

Thanx

Alun

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Display Profiles -> Configure -> Advanced Timing Options. Vertical Geometry refresh rate in Hz is what you want to change to 72 Hz. Hi-light the existing refresh rate and then type in your new value. You can experiment with custom resolutions as well to see which you like best with your projector.

Brad

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I've been learning, and modifying a new projector, Ampro 3600, just install a set of low hour tubes, modified the cooling system to remove the fans, and spent the last few days setting it up, then setting it up again.

No, that isn't pushing the NEC to hard...it is running up in it's higher capabilities...something I just thought of...when I switched mine that res it cleared up a minor blue gun geometry problem I'd had at the lower res's.

I also tried that res with the 48hz refresh rate...I couldn't take the flicker during well lit scenes...some swear by 48hz, you might give it a try.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Right now I'm at 1280X960 at 72hz and the pic is pretty good but hey fiddeling is what this is all about right? Other than watching movies of course:D

Alun

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting, I didn't realise that 720x480 was the DVD native resolution. Is that still the case with a widescreen 2.35:1? I've just started experimenting with HTPC aspect ratios other than 4:3, and found that 1280x768 was nicer than 1024x768. I don't think my NEC 6PG will do 960 active lines at 72Hz though :(

Keith

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
I don't think my NEC 6PG will do 960 active lines at 72Hz though
No, it won't. You may also want to try 1280x720. Most people feel that 720 lines is about the max for the PG series. 1280x768 adds 48 more lines of resolution and will begin to make the imager softer over using 1280x720.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Kenny,

Did you master the XG finally and get bored? What are your results so far with the Ampro?

Geeze, Im not keeping up on things.

Alun,

Let us know what you liked the best. Doug

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Doug...I'm not sure I can ever master the XG, and one thing's for sure, it was never boring!

Actually what happened was Bob Wood came across several of these Ampro 3600 (the last design they made) and after spending a couple hours playing with a high hour unit I realized these things make a picture that is right up there with the best 8" er's...I can buy 4 of these for the price of one XG (I in fact bought 2 plus a bunch of spare parts, and still had good money left over)

As with any new model pj, my learning curve means this pj just gets better each time I work with it...the only way I could have ever let the NEC go was if the 3600's picture could approached it...and it does.

I kinda miss the challenge of the NEC...I've been able to take these Ampros and go from the ground to the ceiling, do CPC magnets, scheimpflug and everything else in about 4 hours...what's the fun in that :)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Kenny,

I do know these units just a little bit, I think it was a Gretaug first, then went to Ampro/Esprit, I saw the last model made in a hotel room in Vegas, it was a proto type if I remember right. Yes, it put out a good display but if I remember right they had a problem with the crt power boards.

I have a service manual for the 4000 around here somewhere and also service bullitens for the 2300-4200 wrote by Crosby Chutley about 9 years ago. Heck I have an Esprit in the garage but its a 69500 I think. Im such a pack rat. Doug

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I believe you are right about the neck boards...I have done a cooling mod to mine that has dropped the temp on the neck board's heat sink by 10 degrees (and been able to completely remove all the noisy cooling fans)

So I'm crossing my fingers that will take care of it...I have spares if it doesn't :)

Now I'm hunting some NEC color filters to hopefully bring it's color reproduction in line with the best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.