AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little guidance here... What are the pros and cons of using a Faroudja NRS with an output rate of 1280 x 720 vs. 1024 x 768? Any compelling reasons to go with one output resolution over the other? My setup will consist of an NEC XG110LC CRT projecting on a 49" x 87" microperfed Stewart Studiotek 130 screen. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Glenn

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This is hardly scientific, but I always thought the Runco 991 (an NEC XG75 equivalent) looked its best through a Faroudja DVP3000 set to the 720P output. It was one of those magical, synergistic combinations, that makes me wonder why I simply didn't stop right there and get off this upgrade merry-go-round. I never really topped that picture quality much, if at all.

Having said that, I've heard that both the 720P and 768P scan rates look sensational with your NEC XG LC projector (I assume you're using a widescreen format screen; if not, 960P may be what you want for a 4:3 screen). Hell, even 600P looked great on my XG135LC and 1.85 screen. I also note parenthetically that Greg Rogers just wrote that both rates looked good via the Lumagen Vision and his Runco 980 Ultra (NEC PG series), and, reading between the lines, that there was little to choose between them.

Don't hesitate to contact Faroudja, as well, and see what they say. There's also a scan rate reference chart that you can download from their website. It lists what they recommend for virtually every type of projector out there. And they recommend both rates.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glenn,

I'm telling you, 720P on that unit, you'll love it.... Do you think you'll need it setup anytime soon? ;)

KevD

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kevin,

A video processor is the last piece of the puzzle for me as I have a screen now to complement the projector and I have all aspects in the audio department ready to go. I had a great deal lined up on a 1024 x 768 NRS but I let it go as I really want a 720P unit. I am still searching for that steal of a deal on a 720P NRS... then a little construction and I will be ready to set up my projector! I am getting there!

Glenn

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
What do you mean by a "steal of a deal?" I've never seen even a used 720P NRS for less than $2500.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I mean by a "steal of a deal" is a "new" or "b stock" unit (as in NOT used) in the under $2500.00 range. Occasionally deals on such units in the $2200.00 to $2400.00 range crop up in various places and I have been saving my pennies. I usually get all of my stuff at prices that most people can't believe, this is how I can justify and afford to be in this addiction... errr... I mean hobby! The key is to be very patient, research like crazy, have the funds ready and have a little luck... THEN ACT quickly when opportunity knocks! For the most part it always does... just got to give it some time!

Glenn

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
1024x768 looks best for DVD and 1080i looks best for Dish HDTV. I tried 720p, but it didn't hold up to 1080i from my Dish 9000. I'm not that technical so, take it for what it's worth. I tried higher resolutions for DVD, but they looked soft.

Oh yes, I have a NEC 135LC projector that's a couple of years old, and I set it up myself (I've had 3 other projectors).

Bob

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bradad
It would be nice to own a 1280 X 720 NRS! I am sure it would be a nice upgrade over the Quadscan I am currently using with my 980 Ultra!

Here ya go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3020699522

Like I said, $2500 is the number on this unit! I've never seen a 720P B-stock unit either, although I suppose anything's possible.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have an XG1351lc and asked Doug Baisy his thoughts on this same question, he said it depends on how your projector is set up IE. Meaning is it focused and converged properly? no easy task this one, OBEE WON , but if it is with in an inch of its best set up, he recommended 850P David

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Art,

the XG's can be set up very tight.

I set up a few and could always see scanlines at 1600 x 900 resolution on a 16:9 screen. This is not on 100% of the screen area but definitely on more than half of it.

To get that high you have to maximize raster usage of course.

Oliver

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Klohs
Art,

the XG's can be set up very tight.

I set up a few and could always see scanlines at 1600 x 900 resolution on a 16:9 screen. This is not on 100% of the screen area but definitely on more than half of it.

To get that high you have to maximize raster usage of course.

Oliver
I agree. With my XG750 that I just retubed (new NEC tubes), I can make out scanlines at 1024 vertical lines...The rasters are at the MOST a 1/16" away from the edge of the tubes to achieve this...It is great to be able to S T R E T C H the rasters right out to the edges with new tubes! :)

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AVWERKS
I have an XG1351lc and asked Doug Baisy his thoughts on this same question, he said it depends on how your projector is set up IE. Meaning is it focused and converged properly? no easy task this one, OBEE WON , but if it is with in an inch of its best set up, he recommended 850P David
I agree with Doug on this. Not sure about the NEC's, but a little over a year ago I had a demo at Mark Haflich's house, where I had his Marquee 9500LC fine tuned to 1200P, and at 960P you could clearly see scan lines.

This level of setup requires a lot of skill and patience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have an XG135LC running at 960p on a 60x107 Stewart 130 screen. the picture looks fantastic with the best dvd's and scan lines are visible.

I'm using a dvdplayer/video processor from Projection Systems. One of the nice things about the unit is that you can view numerous scan rates and select the scan rate that works best for your pj.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.