AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first "used" CRT Projector for my dedicated home theater. Room is 13 ft wide by 19 ft long. Totally dark....no windows. Elevated seating. Looking for a ceiling mounted CRT. My neighbor's dedicated home theater has a Zenith Pro 881 which puts out a decent picture. I've been considering a used Runco IDP 980 with 1850 hours on it and the runco 2050 scaler/doubler...vs an nec xg135. I'm quite technically minded....manage a computer network, have built many pc's, love to tinker, and do it myself.

Any guidance you guru's can give would me would be great.

Thanks,

Scott McDonald

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Get the NEC XG135. I believe it's a step up from the Runco 980 which I think is a PG series unit.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
The XG 135 is a much higher end unit than the 980 (which is an NEC PG series).

Make sure the tubes are in good shape on the 135...

Curt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
xg is the better machine, but nobody mentioned the noise factor?

You have to build a hushbox for an xg, it's one of the loudest crt's as far as fan noise goes. Most find it quite annoying unless acoustically silenced.

Small room, raised seats, snowblower overhead... (well not that bad but still must be fixed.)

The runco is not a bad machine by any means. I don't know about the scaler, maybe a rebranded faroudja?

Troy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are all the xg nec's noisey? I'll be sitting right under the thing and I don't really have a lot of space for a noise box....I need something fairly quiet....

Don't want a snowblower on my head....

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Unless Runco has modded it - quite possible, a PG is no that much quieter than an XG. I would jump at the XG.

Depending on price and condition.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Geeze you guy's are tough. Yes the XG is loud (by comparison) with some other projectors, but not the GE gas turbine everone makes it out to be. It's only slightly louder than a PG. The tradeoff for picture quality far outweighs the noise factor.

Chip

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Sony 747 is louder

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
xg's would be the second loudest wouldn't they? Aren't there over 10 fans in an xg?

I am picky though I admit. The only pj's I felt the noise level was acceptable on in stock form were the little sony 10xx's, ampro's, and barco's.

Electrohomes are almost acceptable and easily modded.

NEC pg's were on the noisy side but not rediculous amd didn't look too hard to fix.

I would buy a good xg for sure, but I would have to look into fan mods and hushbox. To me even the fan noise from the average pc is too much, I always mod them.

This barco 1208 I'm working on is sure a treat... I have to listen carefully to know if it's even running and I really like that.

Troy

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have an XG and sitting under it without any form of fan noise reduction is a bit distracting, especially during quiet sections of the movie, or whatever you are watching.

I built a very basic hushbox, that has an open front, and it really helps considerably. Also, the hushbox only hangs about 2" lower than the bottom of the projcetor, so space isn't an issue.

I would definitely suggest building a hushbox if you go with the XG.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.