Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone had ever carried out any modifications to their 10PG's to help reduce video noise / improve the picture.

I know this has been done with other PJ's successfully and just wondered if anyone had tackled this beast :)

Keen to make mine even better now that i am feeding it a top quality pic. (running SDI and HD into an HD Leeza) and would love to know if anyone had reliably improved the image.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Looks like one thing that can be done to them is the STK392-040 chip goes after a while on the F-board. Seems to be a common problem. Check to see if you have sharp even focus on the tubes, if not it could well be that. There are a couple of threads running about this very problem on the PG's and XG's.

If you are running a HTPC there is a video card mod that is supposed to help quite a bit being done by Mike Parker.

If there are any mods going on, they may apply to XG's and PG's to a certain extent.

Also a PG with no mods but everything set to factory specs and colors being correct could be a big improvement.

About the only thing that I may try is to shim the lenses if they are not focusing in the corners, not sure this will work as that will not move the C-element.

Of course there is always the other things like painting the whole room black, getting the best screen and watching only good transfers.

Deron.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response...

Don't get me wrong i have a cracking pic. and i have a black felt ceiling with blue velvet walls so the room is pretty optimum, i was just looking to know if people have got the level of video noise down at all as this is quite visible on some films (Vertical limit for example).

I am also running HD from a Hard Drive via firewire so i think my source is pretty good :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Elliot,

some noise is normal. And the fact that you can even see this noise could be an indication of a well setup projector. Even some HD sources has some noise in it, some sources looks better than others but there's a level of it in all HD content.

With DVD, we have the famous Mpeg compression artifacts (mosquito). Then there's the not so famous noise that comes from "mixed signal" (both analog and digital) circuit designs. Some of the high frequency digital switching gets into the analog circuit.

All of the above is normal, however there are some rather expensive external devices that lowers of eliminates some of it. And can make the image look noise free.

And there's this crazy technician (me) who has been trying to lower it for the past two years with some success. The goal has been to lower it from effecting the quality of the image (hash, black levels and shadow details), and this starts with the device, but once the noise is lowered in the device, there will still be noise in the transmission or source device. Unless you use one of those very expensive noise busters, it's gonna be there.

Now, there is some good news. What I've started to do with the Marquees, I'll also be doing to some of the NEC's. This will be a joint venture between myself Terry and Doug. We're going to put our heads together and clean up the video chain in some models of the NEC as well.

Not only is CRT alive and still kicking butt, we'll be joining forces to make it even better ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quote:
Now, there is some good news. What I've started to do with the Marquees, I'll also be doing to some of the NEC's. This will be a joint venture between myself Terry and Doug. We're going to put our heads together and clean up the video chain in some models of the NEC as well.

Not only is CRT alive and still kicking butt, we'll be joining forces to make it even better ;)
why does my heart do a jump for joy when I read that? :D :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
One suggustion would be to replace the blocking caps in the video signal line from input to the tubes. If not mistaken, I think I remember three of them per tube. By using high quality non-polars you should see a subtle difference.

Also, If you are using an NEC switcher (ISS series), there is a polar electrolytic at the input and output of each color in the output board. These six are easy to replace and should help.

Just a star

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent news Mike, you have an order here already :)

I love the 10pg, and am confident that i have a fairly noise free chain, i simply come from PC hard drive firewire to JVC 30K and then component to the HD Leeza (soon to be assimilator) and RGBHV to the PJ. DVD goes SDI to the HD Leeza

I will be getting hold of a firewire to DVI converter and that will help a bit (I hope) but i think most of the noise is in the PJ itself (though i could be wrong) it certainly isn't bad but i came back from Cedia thinking that my display looked better than anything i saw there and wondered if it could get better :)

The PJ was set up by Gordon Fraser and has been ISF'd so i would like tho think he has done a good job ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mike,

We've spoken several times. As an owner of a couple of 10 PG's take my name down as well

Thanks

Johnboy

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

any new developments on making NEC's more noise free ?

I think the NEC's could profit tremendously in that respect.

Oliver

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Daniel,

I believe you, but I wanted to ask about picture noise :)

There is always a slight noise floor on the NEC projectors I have seen and Mike is said to have done wonders on Marquees in that respect.

As he announced that some work would be done on the NEC's I just waned to check how the project is going after 5 months.

Oliver

·
Registered
374 Posts
MIke---

WHICH NEC models? XG series, too? (I hope, I hope--I own a XG75). Glad to see you're hooking up with some real NEC pros on this one. Your experience with Marquee mods for noise, etc., coupled with Terry and Doug's knowledge of NECs, is a great combination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.