AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the lack of discussion in these threads to the LT240K. It's being sold in the low to mid $2K range, but everyone is still speaking about the new Panny/Sony/Sanyo/Epson.

2000:1 CR and 2000 lumens seems to trump the others. Plus it's a DLP (which seems to hold a more 'theatrical' presentation to it's image). Yes, it's a commercial pj that can be used as a HT pj, but the image is supposed to be pretty great. So, what gives? Why are these other new LCDs so impressive if they cost more than a DLP and still have lower contrast and lumen output?:confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is a presentation projector, so it’s has a number of disadvantages which don’t show up in the specifications.

It probably has a low speed color wheel which produces more rainbows (for some), the rated contrast and brightness probably depend on the use of a white segment, which you will want to switch off for video and it is 4:3 so you will never use the whole panel or lamp output when watching DVD.

The new LCDs have no rainbows, higher resolution, probably have similar contrast in the real world and they are 16:9 so better suited for DVD and HDTV.

I haven’t seen any of them, so I am not saying that the LCDs are better, just that you should be careful reading specs alone.

Liam

·
Registered
71 Posts
After months of reading everything I could about these projectors I've come to the conclusion that the 240K or maybe even the 260K are the best choice for me. I'm also a little surprised that they don't get more play on this forum. My understanding is that the 240K is similar to the 1000HT, with the major difference being no DVI, and a 4X vs 6X color wheel. The price difference is $1K +, and the 240K fits my budget while the HT1000 does not. The 240K got a very favorable review at projectorcentral. 4:3 works for me, I have room for a large (9' wide) 4:3 screen, and I plan to build a manual masking system for 16:9. I like the high output of the dlp because I might have some light issues to overcome.

Am I missing something? Maybe everyone is just spending the extra $1K and going to the 1000HT.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with you guys. I was comparing the 240 and thw MitsubishiXD300.

They are both about the same on paper.

I ended up with the Mitsu due to the better warranty and the longer lamplife.

I am very happy with the pic quality of the pj.

Seems that everyone here is stuck on the same few pj's.....maybe they know something i dont or maybe everyone is just following the crowd....I dont know

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is for commercial use, but the brightness and contrast are NOT diminished to the levels of the other LCDs. The downside is a 2X color wheel rgbw, which can not be turned off and the lack of a DVI input.

I just don't understand if most of the people in the $5K> arena are ranting so much about the HT1000 why that same enthusiasm isn't showing up in this area for a substantially similar machine.

I would love to know where I can see a demo of the HS10 or the L300U. I live near the Detroit area. anyone have suggestions?

I have seen the LT240 and it's picture is very nice. I can only assume the 240K is even better.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm also very puzzled at the lack of interest of 240K here. The difference between a 240K and the highly acclaimed HT1000 is only:

1) DVI ( it's of no interest to me)

2) RGBRGB color wheel v. RGBW color wheel ( btw the W can be turned off; under image settings "White Peakness" u can turn to 0)

3) iris ( when it is opened it has the same CR as a 240K)

4) but 240K is brighter, and has longer lamp life

and since it is so bright u can easily add a $80 FL-D filter to enhance the apparent contrast.

I have seen the HS10/L300U. To me they just dun have the punch of the NEC's image.

I just bought a NEC so I may be biased.

(... and I just realized I'm not the only K users here. perhaps we should start a campaign on the NEC, just as those in the 5K area. at least ppl can have a choice other than the X1/Z1. )

·
Registered
28,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J Borsh
I just don't understand if most of the people in the $5K> arena are ranting so much about the HT1000 why that same enthusiasm isn't showing up in this area for a substantially similar machine.
The only reason I can think of that accounts for this is that the HT1000 can be found with street prices under $5k, which means that it is overshadowing its little brother in both price categories.

Still, the 240 puts out a hell of a nice picture.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C722,

Where did you purchase your 240K? I am shopping around for the best price right now. I can't ask for a price, so I won't =)

Also, I don't remember the 'image settings' area to turn off the white segment. How do you get to that? Is it under the advanced menu options?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I am thinking of the 260K, because the longer throw lens. The short throw lens puts the pj right over my head!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello:

I have a Sony VPL CX5 LCD data pj that's about 9 months old and love it. It's 2000 lumins, XGA and presently is used for TV, and DVD viewing on a 8' x 6' screen. When bought it wasn't HDTV compatible but I've taken care of that by adding a Transcoder so when the local cable co. finally gets around to transmitting HDTV I'll be ready.

I too have wondered about the lack of threads on data pj's. Also many threads about contrast ratio, rainbows with DLP, brightness etc. all of which are non-issues as far as I'm concerned with my LCD pj.

I believe the newer data pj's are HDTV ready so that removes the only negative I had at the time I bought but I knew about that going in and wasn't concerned because of the lack of HDTV in my area - Santa barbara, CA.

I think there is so much discussion about the other pj's because of the lower cost, which is always a factor.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the cost of these others are all in the sub $3K category, but so is the NEC, which uses the TI DLP technology.

As far as a 'theater' projector being any different than a 'data' projector I don't know what to say.... calibration? Original aspect ratios?

True, something with a DCDi chip would be better than the NEC in-house chip, but if buypassed with a clean progressive signal from a DVD player containing DCDi it is all the same output.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
True, something with a DCDi chip would be better than the NEC in-house chip, but if buypassed with a clean progressive signal from a DVD player containing DCDi it is all the same output.
Bingo!

My LT150 looked better than the X1 and most of the new LCD units that I've seen on the market. The LT240K looks much better than my LT150 and almost as good as the HT1000. I believe that you would have to have the LT240K and the HT1000 side by side to really tell the difference. Since the Momitsu DVD player can send the upscaled DVI-I signal to VGA without a transcoder... you don't really miss the fact that the HT has DVI and the LT doesn't.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would still love to hear about a comparison between the LT240K and the Panny L300U or the Sony HS10.

Has anyone compared these units???

·
Registered
193 Posts
For those who think the trio NEC 240k/ HT1000/XD300 are better than the X1/Z1/HS10 gang:

shall we consider the Epson TW100 in this thread?

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Borsh,

A fellow member here invited me to see his LT260 setup, another member invited me to see his L300U setup and I saw an HS10 at a retailer. Before I go on I will say that I an not the technical videophil that I usually see here.

First the HS10. This looked really good to me. Was projected on about a 110" screen in a heavily flourecent(sp?) lit room. Colors were good impressed with lack of screendoor on screen that size. Obviously the connectivity is the best of this bunch(HDCP DVI). Only saw a demo in store video no dvd or HDTV

L300U - Nice little projector. Wasn't floored with picture. Less resolution. More grainy (technical term :) )than hs10. connectivity was good but dvi is not HDCP. Standard television was pretty good on this machine but I would pony up the extra $$ for HS10.

LT260 - I was absolutely floored with the punch of the 260. The picture was extremely vibrant. The screen was painted (with some particular color mixture from home depot see screens room for this color) wall. We watched several different dvd samples and satellite channels. Standard def. tv was not very good on this machine. You could play around with a few different screen sizes to shrink size which helped but overall the tv channels were pretty soft! DVD's were absolutely amazing. I watched this for about two hours and while rainbows weren't a big concern(i did see some LOTR), I did leave with some considerable eye strain. I don't know If that would subside after some time of getting used to just watching and not analyzing. Brightness was great, blacks were great, colors were great. I like the sealed optics. However there is no DVI! Big draw back for me as regular TV will be a big part of my viewing and the only way that is really feasable with this machine is HDTV and DVI is the future (I also won't be upgrading every other year like others on this board).

Overall the DLP tech. seems to really be alot more smooth and delivers more punch but eye strain concerns me (would a faster color wheel help eyestrain??). I didn't view HDTV on any of these.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
33 Posts
(My first post! Woohoo!)

After reading threads here and there, reading reviews here and there... Considering I'll be watching very varied content streamed from a PC and my budget is 2.5k$...

Chalk another one up for the 240k!! Yay!!

...I think we're large enough a group now that we can call ourselves a gang and start roughing up other gangs... :D

Let's call ourselves the "RoughNECs"... :D :D (Sci-Fi readers will get that one!)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eye strain. Hmm. I wonder what causes that?

Anyone have ideas as to why eyes would be strained using this machine?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This thread started with a discussion of why the 240K was not as much of a buzz as the new class of LCDs coming out. We are happy you like the 240 series projectors, but I have to ask -- Is your head in the sand?

In the DLP world, the X1 is the clear price/performance winner for those who don't have issues with rainbows. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who DON'T have issues with rainbows that AREN'T happy with the X1 -- and for good reason. The X1 is a great unit without regard to rainbow artifacts. AND THERE IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF BUZZ ABOUT IT! The X1 is stealing your thunder! So, DLP proponents should NOT feel slighted!

For DLP cravers who DO have issues with rainbows, the HT-1000 is the best price/performer (since it has the faster refresh rate required to promise a performance improvement). And, the price squeeze is on. Clearly, there is good reason these two machines are stealing your buzz! Hey, 240K guys.... You got a nice niche there, but it IS a small niche.

In the LCD world, most people wish LCDs had the smoothness of the DLP image. The soon-to-be-released PJs (specified at the top of this thread) stand to substantially close the LCD/DLP picture quality gap. This is due to their substantial 75% increase in resolution and 60% increase in contrast! And, they will be providing this increase at similar prices to last years models! WHO WOULDN'T BE EXCITED!

Listen clearly. Consumers of the LCD category will be provided with some major breakthroughs with these projectors and prices. The price/performance quotients of these PJs will provide a MUCH BIGGER leap for LCDs (priced in the $2k category) than the 240K upgrade represents.

DLP advancements stole the show last year. Last year they clearly won the "SuperBowl" of BIG PICTURES. Just don't be surprised if LCD's provide the major comeback this year. Get ready rainbow sufferers of the world, the BIG SHOW is about to start!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The X1 is SVGA and the 240K is XGA. They are NOT in the same class.

Why play catch up with technology if DLP is already there at the same price?

Why purchase the newer LCD technology for a premium price (while it's still new) and not purchase a better technology (DLP) for a discount?

Is it worth buying a newly released unit if the older presents the same if not better image quality? read this: 2000:1 Contrast and 2000 Lumens with XGA. The latest and greatest LCD contrast numbers are just a bit over 1/2 of that.

Flame on!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If someone can convince me that these new LCDs have a substantially BETTER picture I will buy it.

But it should be better than the 240K before I spend more money to brag about having NEW technology.

=)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.