AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone make a recommendation? This may not be possible, but I was hoping to stay under $500. I really don't know much about this subject. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For the 6.1's any descent brands with at least 150 w/ch should do fine. I would start out with Audioadvisor for their sale, demo or B-stock items (Parasound, Adcom, etc.) for they do carry the original manufacturer warranty. Also check out AVS store's Sherbourne. Lastly will be places like Audiogon, Ebay or Ubid but you have to be careful with warranty, sellers' feedback & shipping.

Cheers.

PF

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't thought about used, but I might go that route. Thanks for the good replies. Very helpful.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i have your answer.

go to ebay or audiogon, and look for an adcom gfa555 amp!

i have one to drive my swans diva 6.1's and it handles!!!!

in fact as of last night, i hooked up another pair of diva 6.1's in the rears on that same amp! and it hasn't slowed a bit!

i will be getting another adcom gfa555 for the rear 6.1 speakers, but i am blown away at how well the single amp does for both 6.1's being driven! pretty impressive!

the amp rates at 200+ wpc. it's rated at 1000 watts total, and i think 600 useable.

they are cheap and abundant and you can get one for around $320. now.

go get one, i promise you'll be happy.

also, if your going to get an amp, don't "settle" for watts. get enough to *drive* your speakers. if you can get 200 or 250 watts, go for it.

:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may sound dumb, but aren't the 6.1s rated at 50 to 200 watts? Wouldn't the speakers be damaged by amps more powerful than 200 watts? Just wondering. It seems like a lot of the amp makers put out two channel amps at around 120 wpc and then jump to 200 or 250.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am using a pair of Bryston amps (500w each) on my Diva's and that never crossed my mind. :)

Don't worry about it, just get something between 150 to 250 w & you will more likely blow out your eardrums before doing that to the Diva's drivers.

PF

·
Registered
612 Posts
A more powerful amp is actually safer for your speakers as it will be less susceptible to clipping at high levels. It is clipping that damages speakers, not sheer wattage.

Also, don't put a lot of stock in wattage numbers. There is no standard for measurement and many companies fudge numbers. You want an amp that's well built with large power supplies and high capacitance.

I would recommend amps made by well know manufacturers such as Adcom, Acurus, Carver, Harmon Kardon, and others. You can also check your local high-end shop as they will usually have a used room with trade-in gear that has usually been well cared for and you can sometimes find a bargain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would second the motion for going to ebay. I have bought my last 2 amps off there ( A 2 Ch. 200W THX cert. Parasound for $300 for my mains and an older carver for $280 which I use one channelf for my SVS). Haven't had any problems so far...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use my EAD PM 1000 driving only the pair of 6.1 at volumes that have been very very high. The Divas sounded fine, the EAD handled it fine, my ears were getting short term hearing loss (seriously), so i dont listen to music as loud now.

Driving 2 channels the EAD does put out more than 200watts/channel i believe. The Divas have no problems with it i assure you.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine

Yeah, BigWally, you're one to talk :)

--Steve
I swear officer, the amp wasn't clipping when the tweeters in my DIY's went China Syndrome!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all the helpful replies. I'm on my way to making a choice. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.