AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Is it April first already?

There are no receivers that meet your requirements - maybe at 3 or 4 times the price you'll find something.

For your budget I'd take a look at the HK 3490. Harman's ebay store is selling gobs of them and reports are most of them are new to make room for the next model.

At 120wpc it comes close and can be had for under $300.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18307383

Any recommedations? Under $300.

I've been a member here for quite a while and don't post much because I'm usually beat to the punch by people more knowledgeable than myself, but I read here almost daily.

Having said that, your an idiot (personal attack on)!!! Please go back to posting malware on Facebook.

I'm generally fairly restrained and have been VERY resistant to feeding the trolls, but this was just too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I stated in another posting, I am new here and relatively new to the whole receiver world aside from the ancient pioneer receiver I have had for like 15 years. How am I a troll posting malware? It was/is a legit question and need...ok, so maybe my pricing was a bit off. I have no idea how much 2 channel receivers that put out over 200 channels per channel cost.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I dunno what that was about, either.

Anyway, if you look for a receiver with pre-amp output jacks on back, you can always add an external power amp later on if the receiver doesn't have enough juice for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why exactly do you "need" over 200 wpc?

The Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp has 250 wpc into 8 ohms and the Krell KAV-400xi offers up a measured 290 wpc into 8 ohms. Either of these units will cost you $1200.00-$1500.00 (used). I know of no receivers, only integrated amplifers (no tuner) that can output 200 wpc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I will be selling an Onkyo Tx-sr805 7.1 receiver for a little over that soon. In 2 channel mode with 4 ohm speakers I'm sure it comes close.....

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
kstephens78,

I think you need to specify why you think you need more than 200W/ch.

In general, it's much more effective to get efficient speakers (greater than 90db sensitivity) than to try to increase volume by using a more powerful amplifier (whether built into a receiver or separate).

Modern two channel receivers are relatively rare. Stereo integrated amps are more common, but they tend to "audiophile" quality and thus cost 5x to 10x your budget.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18308943

kstephens78,

I think you need to specify why you think you need more than 200W/ch.

No he doesn't. It's a straight-forward question. He wants 200+W

@kstephens78

Separate pre and amp is your best option, since few if any stereo receivers will have pre-outs. Used gear is the best option in your price range, but of course that's always a gamble. eBay is loaded with stuff like this. Getting into vintage gear is not for the faint-hearted, but that's where the real value is to be found.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the info and help! I just bought speakers that have a max of 275 watts. I am just trying to get the maximum potential out of them. All I will be using is two of those as my front speakers and a subwoofer. That is why I was looking for a 2 channel receiver. I obviously have a lot to learn about all this. lol I actually like vintage stuff. I have a 15 year old pioneer receiver and a 6 year old yamaha someone just gave me. They are both 100 watts per channel and to me it sounds like the old ancient pioneer (with manual bass and treble adjustment knobs on the front) put out better/stronger bass than the yamaha where u have to internally adjust the bass and treble.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup /forum/post/18307558

I've been a member here for quite a while and don't post much because I'm usually beat to the punch by people more knowledgeable than myself, but I read here almost daily.

Having said that, your an idiot (personal attack on)!!! Please go back to posting malware on Facebook.

I'm generally fairly restrained and have been VERY resistant to feeding the trolls, but this was just too much.

I offer my apology!

I reacted to the lack of context in the original post and found it highly suspect. Dig around a bit more and take some of the advice already offered.

If 200W is your actual requirement then it's going to cost you more unless you look for a used ADCOM etc... pre amp/amp combo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Speaker wattage ratings really don't mean anything. You probably don't need 200 watts. What speakers did you buy? How big is your room? How loud do you listen?

Answer those questions and you'll get all the help you need.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18309383

thanks for all the info and help! I just bought speakers that have a max of 275 watts. I am just trying to get the maximum potential out of them. All I will be using is two of those as my front speakers and a subwoofer. That is why I was looking for a 2 channel receiver. I obviously have a lot to learn about all this. lol I actually like vintage stuff. I have a 15 year old pioneer receiver and a 6 year old yamaha someone just gave me. They are both 100 watts per channel and to me it sounds like the old ancient pioneer (with manual bass and treble adjustment knobs on the front) put out better/stronger bass than the yamaha where u have to internally adjust the bass and treble.

Well if you want 200+W you should have it, and you won't regret it. There's no need for you to justify your decision to anyone. Does either of those receivers have pre-outs or even a tape deck loop? I'll bet they do.

If you're using digital sources, the one benefit that a newer receiver will get you is better DACs, which is a consideration. But there's a lot to be said for pure analog paths too, using the DAC in your players.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, no apology necessary. people actually come on here and post fake stuff? for what purpose?? anyways, I have 2 Polk Monitor 70 speakers and just looking for a receiver to help them reach their potential. I don't care what the brand is or even how old it is!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Receiver, no. But you may be able, by adjusting your budget to buy a pro amp, like the Beringher A500 paired with any old receiver or pre amp.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18307771

As I stated in another posting, I am new here and relatively new to the whole receiver world aside from the ancient pioneer receiver I have had for like 15 years. How am I a troll posting malware? It was/is a legit question and need...ok, so maybe my pricing was a bit off. I have no idea how much 2 channel receivers that put out over 200 channels per channel cost.

The mentioned HK 3490 puts out >170W (x2) into 4 Ohms and is within your budget if purchased through harmanaudio on E-Bay. Also it has Pre-Outs so if you do find that more power is required an external component amplifier can be connected..

Just my $0.01..

·
Banned
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18311506

oh, no apology necessary. people actually come on here and post fake stuff? for what purpose?? anyways, I have 2 Polk Monitor 70 speakers and just looking for a receiver to help them reach their potential. I don't care what the brand is or even how old it is!

Don't care how old? If you can find this one, very rare though and maybe you need to add another zero at the end of your budget.

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/receivers/sa1000.htm

Anyways, since that is pretty rare you may look up at these other oldies

Sansui G 33000 (300 wpc rms)

Marantz 2600 (Marantz' most powerful monster receiver at 300 wpc rms)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts