AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
LG C7, Denon AVR+amps, JBL 580s+520, Elac UB5s, KEF Q350s, SVS+Hsu subs, Schitt, Bluesound.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy two tv's - a 58"-60", which will be the main home theater set, and a 42" as a secondary tv for the family room. Trying to decide if I should go for the main set now, or get the 42-incher and wait to see what else comes out in the 60" range in the next 6 months or so.

The 60" will definitely be 1080p, but for the 42", I'm tempted to go for a 720p, since they're getting so cheap. OTOH, I might later regret not getting 1080p. Viewing distance from the 42" is 8.5 feet. At that distance, is the difference b/w 1080p and 720p noticeable? Will 720p sets become obsolete anyway in the next couple years as 1080p manufacturing costs come down?

Regarding burn-in potential, Panasonic's website says that if you didn't worry about burn-in with your CRT tv, you don't need to worry about it with a plasma. Is that about right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
What would I do in your shoes?

And I'm kinda in your shoes... I want a 42 & a 50/60. One for the bedroom, and one for the living room. I think I'm going to go for the smaller, make sure I like the family of devices, and if I like it, spend the more money on the bigger TV.

I also am thinking 1080 for the biggun, and 720 for the smallun.

Re: Burnin. Most threads say that Image Retention is a problem that is fixable. But burn in is not very common. Most people say that as long as you don't abuse it, you shouldn't have a problem.

=Joel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.