AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I want is regular dolby digital 5.1 and dts and some sort of automatic calibration. i would rather just connect my blu ray player to the tv via hdmi, and connect receiver to blu ray player via digital connection so i dont need hdmi receiver.

I will use the energy act6 system. Just trying to make a good budget system for bedroom.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyisChamp /forum/post/16936162

All I want is regular dolby digital 5.1 and dts and some sort of automatic calibration. i would rather just connect my blu ray player to the tv via hdmi, and connect receiver to blu ray player via digital connection so i dont need hdmi receiver.

I will use the energy act6 system. Just trying to make a good budget system for bedroom.

Maybe the HTP-2920 from Pioneer. It's a HTIB but still comes with a decent receiver capable of what you've described, minus the auto calibration. I've seen it for as low as $219.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Maybe an Onkyo TX-SR505 or 506? They can be had for less than $200 and have an Audessy (sp?) autocalibration feature.

I had a similar model to one of those (it was one of their HTiB receivers from an HT-SR800) and quality was great.

If you don't need the HD audio codes or HDMI upconversion, I'd recommend either of these units.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyisChamp /forum/post/16936162

Interested in a used Denon AVR-3801 in great condition? I've got one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
havent ordered yet but i just found this

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...denon-avr-1709

its the denon 1709 on clearance sale at $197.79

description says "Customer return, box opened product in good condition"

so its basically the same price as the 1609. i assume it carries the same warranty as if it were new? obviously someone returned it and i have to wonder why.

should i just get this instead of an unopened 1609?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
"good" condition is down the ladder from "like new", "excellent" and "very good" .

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
When buying open box or used pay attention to whether it's complete, especially the calibration mic. You can download many manuals, but you can't download the mic

·
Registered
750 Posts
I recommend a Harman Kardon AVR-247. It's pretty much identical in features to its new sibling, AVR-254, except it only has HDMI upscaling to 720p (if you have Blu-Ray, this is insignificant). It can be had through the Harman Kardon ebay outlet for around $150.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyisChamp /forum/post/17124319

so its basically the same price as the 1609. i assume it carries the same warranty as if it were new? obviously someone returned it and i have to wonder why.

The 1609 and 1709 are essentially the same, biggest difference being the number of HDMI inputs. If you need or ever think you will need the extra HDMI input the choice is obvious. If not I'd personally go with the 1609 nib.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyisChamp /forum/post/17124319

Bets are that it was returned because of the HDMI not handling audio and only video. Dunno.... really doesn't matter. Vanns is extremely conservative when rating its returned products for resale. At the request of my youngest son, I ordered this 1709 for him. It was the last of the 1609/1709 models available at Vanns. I inspected it upon arrival and concluded that the rating of "good condition" was because the small cardboard box that contains the Audyssey microphone was fairly messed up (box only and not the mic). The receiver itself was unblemished and all accessories were included. Great deal for under $200 delivered
I've never had any issues dealing with Vanns.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) /forum/post/17192843

Bets are that it was returned because of the HDMI not handling audio and only video. Dunno.... really doesn't matter. Vanns is extremely conservative when rating its returned products for resale. At the request of my youngest son, I ordered this 1709 for him. It was the last of the 1609/1709 models available at Vanns. I inspected it upon arrival and concluded that the rating of "good condition" was because the small cardboard box that contains the Audyssey microphone was fairly messed up (box only and not the mic). The receiver itself was unblemished and all accessories were included. Great deal for under $200 delivered
I've never had any issues dealing with Vanns.

You had good luck. Lots of other people have had the condition be much worse than described. But, Vanns will pay shipping back if that's the case, so you're only out the time and effort. It's something of a roll of the dice, they are far from "extremely conservative" but the odds are better than even - so depending on the product and one's needs it might be worth it.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/17193586

You had good luck. Lots of other people have had the condition be much worse than described. But, Vanns will pay shipping back if that's the case, so you're only out the time and effort. It's something of a roll of the dice, they are far from "extremely conservative" but the odds are better than even - so depending on the product and one's needs it might be worth it.

Well, this is the first time I've come across comments indicating condition description problems for electronics by Vanns. I'm a sexagenarian but do a fair amount of on line research before pulling the trigger be it a specific commodity or dealer/outlet/reseller. Are you sure the instances you allude to aren't cosmetic issues on speakers, audio furniture, etc.? Regardless, my earlier comment that I haven't had any bad experiences with Vanns (or Audio Advisor, MusicDirect, Amazon.com, Sierra Trading Post, and any number of others for that matter) stand. Customer service is the deal maker and as you commented, if you take exception to the condition, Vanns stands behind it and will pay the freight back. I don't consider that a roll of the dice but rather a win-win.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts