AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was recently broken into and my 27" Sony TV (3 years old) was stolen. Unfortunately the newest comparable Sony models won't fit inside my entertainment center. So I either need to get a different brand of TV or new furniture.

But I am also looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger TV and make the jump to HD at the same time. Problem is, the TVs I am considering aren't out yet. I want to look at the two new Sony 34" models (960 & 420) as well as the new Panasonic 34" widescreen model, which retails for $1,400. One of those TVs will probably become my new primary TV, unless I can be convinced to reconsider the Sony LCD RP models when the new ones come out in September.

If I wait for any of those models, I still need to have a TV for my family room in the meantime. Would I be smart to purchase the new Panasonic 27" HD model? It's only 27" wide and will fit in my entertainment center. Would this make more sense compared to the Sony 27FV310, for example? I'm not sure about the overall quality of this TV since it has only been out for a short time. I would want to move it to the bedroom when I finally acquire the new 34" Sony or Panasonic.

As far as furniture is concerned, I was looking at several TV stands on the Ikea web site. I like the Oppli model, because I need room for 6 components (Receiver, DVD recorder, VCR, CD changer, dual cassette deck, and satellite receiver). Plus I have a center channel speaker. But the Oppli won't handle that much weight if I get a 34XBR960 or similar model. So I'm afraid I might have to go with the Sony stand and a side unit for the rest of my components. But if anybody has some recommendations on how I can still do everything with Ikea models, I would appreciate that. It would also be nice to have a stand that is wide enough to accomodate future 50-60" LCD or DLP models if I do upgrade down the road.

But my biggest concern would be deciding what TV to get for now, if the 27" Panasonic HD model will work or not, or if I really need to stick with Sony.

· Registered
77 Posts
My 190 pound, 36 inch, 4x3 HDTV sits on an Ikea Effectiv table with T-legs. The Effectiv table is surrounded by matching colored Ikea Docent shelves with solid and glass doors.

Effectiv products are part of Ikea's office product line, not their home product line.

· Registered
2,995 Posts
edstalnaker,

I also find it annoying that manufacturers continue to put the speakers on the side of the tv rather than the the bottom. Is there some sort of reason for this? Did they do test's and determine this improves audio or something?

I had to get a new stand(wanted new furniture anyway) and eventually got a Planet 3 stand from CC on open box about 10 months ago. I can't rememver the model number though. The stand itself actually looks like a retro 1950's model. This would bother some, but then again, I have no taste.

I got this stand because it could hold all my components easily(Yamaha htr-5590 receiver, Panasonic RP-62 dvd player, Sony Cassette player, Panasonic VCR) with room to spare. It has place for a center channel speaker though. The main reason I got this stand was because it was rated to be able to hold a 300lbs TV. I only have 27" Zenith on it now(C27V36 which is 100lbs) but got it so I could upgrade in the future and not have to really worry about weight or size(It could hold a 36"-38" hdtv weight easily and also a Samsung 50" DLP with only about a 1/4 inch overhang from the speakers on each side. Depth not an issue.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey edstalnaker.

Try the magiker line. The TV stand seems very sturdy and wide. Also it is able to handle more weight than some of the other Ikea stands. I have this set up with the av bridge and two of the side cabinets. Holds my 32" zenith and has room for the dvd player vcr xbox and receiver. Wife likes the look of it too so that is a bonus. Hope this helps :)

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the Magiker TV stand after seeing your post. It says that it can handle only 220 lbs, which I assume would include all of the components. I thought the Sony KV-34XBR910 weighs at least 250 lbs. Do you think it could handle that TV and all of the components I mentioned, plus the center channel speaker?

Also, do you have problems with the legs putting big dents in your carpet? I'm wondering if I could get something (similar to what people put under desk chairs) to protect the carpet.

Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
doh sorry didn't see that you wanted the 34 incher on there. It prolly would be too heavy.

The zenith 32" i have now weighs in at around 180 iirc. So I think that a 32" TV would be about the limit for this stand. If you use the av bridge the weight of the center channel would be carried by the two cabinets so that might help.

Hey you could always tell the wife that you need a DLP set since everything else would be too heavy :)

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a thought (DLP)! But I would need to wait a bit longer for some of the newer sets to come out that eliminate the rainbow effect and improve the SD picture quality. I think ultimately DLP will definitely be the way to go though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.