AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony Wega cannot be fixed (it has two problems) and they advise me not getting another Wega because the uneven brightness problem (one of the two I have) will never be fixed. So...

I would very much like to buy the new Panasonic 47WX49, but at 47", it will likely not fit into my apartment. My stairwell is too narrow and as measured, I'd have maybe 1 to 2 inches of clearance for the delivery guys and that simply isn't enough.

I'd consider a 36" Panasonic Tau, but the 16x9 function is ATUO-ONLY and doesn't work on all DVDs (seen this myself) AND worse, there is no option for a manual squeeze, leaving those certain DVDs useless, as well as my collection of SVHS anamorphic tapes.

So what to do? The 4:3 HDTV's do not have the option to do a 16x9 squeeze on anything but 1080i. I cannot go back to non-anamorphic DVD! No way.

I see the HITACHI "43UWX10B" on Circuit City's website, but it is not on Hitachi's own web site. Is this last year's model? Is it any good?

SONY has a 43" 4:3 set called the KP-43HT20 and 16:9 compression is listed. But is it only for 1080i signals? I know the 53" Sony can do the squeeze manually, but the 43" I looked at last year could not.

Anyone have any advise for me? I am really in a tight spot here and when you look at the clearance I have to get a set into my apartment (damn old house), OUCH!

Measurements for stairwell: 48" height clearance and 29.5" width clearance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen the 38-inch RCA set at Best Buy, and it looks like a great choice for an apartment. 16:9 direct view, built-in Directv receiver, 1080i performance. The price tag ($3000) is a bit steep, admittedly, but I have to think there's a market for this unit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there any reason you haven't considered the mitsubishi wt-46807? Forget about 16x9 squeeze, the set is 16x9. i've had mine for about 2 months and i love it!

oh yeah.....should be able to find it for $1999

-pete

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Matt 20 years from now your going to think it was small change. I bought my first 'new' car for $2,760 with 6/10ths of a mile on the odometer now look what they cost!hmmmm

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
842 Posts
Matt think of it this way. People go out and spend 30k+ on a car that they drive a hour or so a day and get rid of in four years. You spend 3k on a great set you watch 5 hours a night and it will last at least 6 years. Go big or go home.

Plus that RCA is saving you 500 bucks with the built in STB.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCA has a very high lemon rate. I won't mess with it. I know too many people that have been burned. And it IS out of my price range.

Now I'll go as big as as I can get into my apartment. The thing to remember is I have to get the TV through SEARS. My Wega is going back to them and I am getting credit. Not a refund. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif It's past 90 days, so it's too late for that.

I would love to get that 46" Mitsubishi, but Sears does not carry any of their sets. Now, they do carry Hitachi and Toshiba, but not all of their models. The only one I can find that they carry is the 43" FDX0IB 16xp HITACHI for $1899. It's noticeably smaller than the 47", but certainly bigger than my 36" (same vertical height) AND it will fit into my apartment no problem, so I can always go with it.

TOSHIBA's 40" is just too small for the price. Not worth it (wish they made a 46").

So I can pass on the 36" XBR450, which is too much money when you consider the 43" Hitachi 16x9 is $1900 and the 47" Panasonic 16x9 is $2,000 and both can do 1080i (the XBR can't reach that level).

I will have $1700 credit coming to me (will they credit the $100 in taxes I paid?), plus $175 credit for the Wega stand, if they buckle (I am pushing real hard, because what the hell else can I use it for? They will probably give in since I bought it with the TV). The remaining 2+ years on the Wega warranty will apply to the whatever TV I buy.

I will need to buy a VGA to Component converter. So when all is said and done, I will end up only spending about $200 to $300 extra and I need to keep it that way. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS, my friends. I have another project going on that requires my extra cash.

So I think I'll make a diagram of my door/entrance/corner to see if that Panny will fit. It will be real tight.

Anyone good with math and diagrams? I'm dyslexic and that killed my math skills when I was a kid. I never caught up, really. Anything too complicated and I see "28947dof0!"

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Matt_Stevens (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Yes I have a suggestion look at my topic post in hdtv harware also.

For those who bought a RCA F38310.

What we have in F38310 is inscreen measurements are 19 inches of vertical height and 34 inches horizontal width. Big enough for my apartment, big enough for yours? The HDTV we own is fully integrated 'no' set top box needed

Retail price is $2999 it has a Direct TV satellite receiver built in. Card slot and phone plug to order PPV movies. 1 set of component Y-Pr-Pb, 3 sets of either S-video or Compositte, Toslink and coax out to your dolby digital Receiver. It has speaker connections for 50 watts of surround sound from TV set.

Check out my topic and thread if interested. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice set (saw one this week), but Ouch. Out of my price range. $2400 is my MAX. I don't go no more. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Right now I have other things that need money to be spent on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Panasonic 47" is a great set and worth looking closely at. Don't be put off by the out-of-box showroom picture quality, which is usually pretty bad imho for all except the Pioneer Elites and Mits Diamond.

The Pany HDTVs can be calibrated and tweaked to rival or beat the other RPTVs, even more expensive ones.

Don

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I can fit that Panasonic into my apartment, I will go for it. I am building a mockup of the width and depth of the sucker to see if can be manuevered into my apartment. It will be very tight and I don't want to get it here, only to find I am an inch short. Best to find out now.

If the 47" Panny is a no go, I'll for for the 43" Hitachi 16x9 HDTV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Matt_Stevens:

I'am a Vega fan but recently I was really dissapointed with their sets. Seems that some of them (not all) really look great in the showroom and when you get your unit it is not the same as the demo floor (as what happened to my friend).

So this is a recommendation for all buyers who goes through that deception on a regular basis. This is now what I'am doing:

To test the service quality of any professionnal shop, I go in and set my eyes on the unit that I want.

I ask the sale person to let me play with the unit to see if the geometry problems are bearable if present. I check everything that might bug me as if it were in my home.

If everything is to my liking on this set:

A)I either ask to sell me his demo (that set problably got the best attention from the dealer to sell those. They may have calibrated the picture on it... you get my point?)

Ok I know it's been used but you will get what you are seeing in the store and the warranty will start from the sale is done! Or,

B) If he refuses, I ask him then to see a new in box unit but that you will buy it only if he can show you how good the picture really is. Meaning he will have to take the new unit of the box and show the picture to you. You both agree then that if you like it then you take it home, if not then he either sells you his demo or you go to the next store!

C)Fianlly, if you got a deal from option A or B, please do yourself a favor, take it home yourself. I will not astress that point enough. Find a friend who has a SUV or Minivan, the country is full of them, m'sure you'll find one or at the worst rent one!!! But don't let anyone touch that set.

I'am not saying all but alot of nightmares are born on the back of a warehouse delivery trucks. Nowadays with those Complex Directview TV sets, a little "misshandling" can be very harmfull on your end when you get it home.

This is what happened to me 4 years ago when I set my eyes on a store demo broadcast PVM-2950Q from Sony. Checked it out and it looked really fine at that time. They shipped it and got a screwed up set!

I went back to their store in New Hampshire wich is a 4 hour drive and after a lot of complaining, I got my refund. An hour later after some "buddy talk" I was told by the owner (who suddenly was now friendlier then never :/ )that a lot of time this happens on delivery and most of the people don't see it and keep their sets anyway.

Well well well, isn't that so?

So now I'am still looking for that great set but I will take matters on my own hands from now on. No one will touch my set. From the point I accept the sale after checking unit in the store to the final destination in my showroom.

I will be in control all the way.

The only thing I'am not in control is, from the moment it is produced from the factory and it gets shipped to the dealers showroom. After that if I'am lucky, I get that control back. It's a lot of hassles and a maybe more money for your own transportation, but it is surely worth the extra piece of mind that this operation will give you.

Now, if I could only find a way to get a store unit that will look really good....hmmmmmmmm mmmm let's see....

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
the new Sony 43ht20 does the squeeze manually for any input, so you'll be able to squeeze for DVD. I saw this set last weekend- looked great to me. @$2100 it's definitely worth looking at.

also the new TOSH 43h71 will supposedly do the squeeze on dvd's, unlike last years 43h70 which only squeezed for 1080i. It may be worth looking into- should be a little cheaper than the sony.

good luck.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! How did this thread get resurrected?! :eek: I now have a Panasonic 47WX49 and I absolutely LOVE it! No HD content yet, but that cannot be helped as my landlord has decided against my getting DISH (he's 74 and just doesn't understand why I need it) and I refuse to pay good money for a HD tuner when next year I am buying a house and will then go DISH.

ANyway, it's a great set and I look forward to having it ISF'd.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You should be able to find the RCA 38" for just under $2500, I see it advertised at this price quite often.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.