AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is contemplating buying a 50 inch plasma and one of the choices is the Sony PFM 50C1. I am reluctant to recommend the 50C1 to him because it does not have a DVI connector and uses two D-Sub 15 pin connectors for component signal inputs. It is a monitor not a TV. This seems a little old fashioned to me since DVI/HDMI seems to be the wave of the future. He will have a DVI output from his DirecTV receiver and so this seems like a backward step to me.

The obvious alternative is the Sony KE-50XBR950 which has speakers that he doesn’t need. What he really needs is a 50 inch with removable speakers and no tuner since he as an HD DirecTV receiver and will be setting up a Surround Sound system.

I would appreciate any recommendations or comments on the subject and, in particular, on the wisdom of picking the Sony 50C1.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I second dbansal's reply.

look at the Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY for a hair under $6K shipped.

You get the same glass as the $8K Fujitsu.

You get BNC component input.

You buy the DVI Blade and you're set.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs.

You guys have me looking at the Panasonics and the Pioneers but my father has nixed the Sony and has decided to buy a 50 inch Runco.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by InterceptPoint
Thanks for the inputs.

You guys have me looking at the Panasonics and the Pioneers but my father has nixed the Sony and has decided to buy a 50 inch Runco.
I would get a Fujitsu 50" Display. It's based on Panasonic glass + the best video processing on the market - AVM (IMO)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.