AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite 45TX with an Anthem MCA-20 powering my mains, and I eventually want to go to separates. I'm going to wait a couple of years to replace the 45TX based on outside influences -- plus I'm waiting for HDMI switching/upsampling and support for the new formats in HD-DVD and BDA sources, but I want to go ahead and get a new amp to power all of my speakers once I finally get a new pre/pro.

I currently only have a 5.1 setup (Axiom M60s, VP150, QS8s) but will be adding a pair of QS4s within the next couple of months. I am limited only to replacing the MCA-20, not adding another. I have been looking at mainly the Sunfire Grand Cinema 200-seven and the Sherbourn 7/2100A, but I'm willing to take suggestions. I want to stay around $3k or less. Balanced inputs are a must. I also want a lot of headroom so that I can upgrade my speakers in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos
I have a Pioneer Elite 45TX with an Anthem MCA-20 powering my mains, and I eventually want to go to separates. I'm going to wait a couple of years to replace the 45TX based on outside influences -- plus I'm waiting for HDMI switching/upsampling and support for the new formats in HD-DVD and BDA sources, but I want to go ahead and get a new amp to power all of my speakers once I finally get a new pre/pro.

I currently only have a 5.1 setup (Axiom M60s, VP150, QS8s) but will be adding a pair of QS4s within the next couple of months. I am limited only to replacing the MCA-20, not adding another. I have been looking at mainly the Sunfire Grand Cinema 200-seven and the Sherbourn 7/2100A, but I'm willing to take suggestions. I want to stay around $3k or less. Balanced inputs are a must. I also want a lot of headroom so that I can upgrade my speakers in 5-10 years.

I can't think of a better amp for the money, or much more, than the ATI AT2007.

Fully balanced from input to output, plenty of power, built like a tank, trigger switching, etc......

dc

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Personally I don't like to go over 3 channels in a single amp. At 3, they can isolate each of the channels nicely (separate transformers, e.g.) and still keep the size/weight manageable. Beyond 3, I believe they start making design compromises to fit it all in one chassis.

Provided space isn't a problem, of course.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am personally doing what AcuraCL has suggested. I have an Aragon 8008x3 for my center and surrounds and I have ordered a pair of Palladium monoblocks for my mains.

That being said why don't you try the new Arcam P1000. Another forum member is currently using it and seems quiet happy. Its got balanced inputs and the quality seems to be good plus the price also isn't bad.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
I am personally doing what AcuraCL has suggested. I have an Aragon 8008x3 for my center and surrounds and I have ordered a pair of Palladium monoblocks for my mains.

That being said why don't you try the new Arcam P1000. Another forum member is currently using it and seems quiet happy. Its got balanced inputs and the quality seems to be good plus the price also isn't bad.
The new Outlaw amps are supposed to have balanced outputs.

What about one of those. I heard the new replacement of the 200X7 770 is supposed to sell for around 2K.

Craig

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
I am just curious as to why you feel balanced inputs are necessary?

Craig
Bragging rights ;)

I just want to have the option. I would hate to buy an amp that only has RCA inputs but then buy a pre/pro with XLR outputs. I want to maximize every aspect that I can control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.