AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for 8 ohm speakers for my setup. I have a Thorens TD 126 MKii and Marantz 2230 on the way and need a pair of bookshelf/compact speakers. Looking for bookshelf that are less than 13 inches, but can deal with 15 inch. Must be front ported. 8 or 6 Ohm speakers with sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher is preferred.

Not completely sure about the budget, but lets say a couple hundred give or take. I am not looking for long-term speaker investment, just something that puts out good sound for the short-term. Vintage or modern is fine. Prefer to buy used, but will buy new as well. So if you want to recommend something is often found on the used market, definitely do it!

I enjoy large soundstage, sparkly but smooth treble and lively mids with great vocals. Bass impact just needs to be natural and present. Mostly listen to classic rock, grunge, and classical

I do have a Definitive Technology ProSub 800 that I may use.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wavecrest HVL-1, the Primus is a good budget speaker, but these are going to produce better sound quality.

Their sensitivity isn't 90dB, but will have no problem playing louder than you care to listen.

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair
I have seen these recommended in the past for others. They are cheap (I'm assuming because they are sold direct and don't have anything fancy to them) which is nice. How does the sound match up against more expensive options and how is the treble and mid clarity?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I have seen these recommended in the past for others. They are cheap (I'm assuming because they are sold direct and don't have anything fancy to them) which is nice. How does the sound match up against more expensive options and how is the treble and mid clarity?
They are a budget offering designed by a couple guys from Ascend Acoustics. They have very good mid-range, and this is the strength of the speaker. They aren't going to dig deep, but you get a nice neutral sound. Check out their measurements, and the owner's thread is full of good reviews.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mods please close this thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts