AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new laptop speaker for my small dorm room. Here are my requirements:

1) Needs to be compact

2) Best sounding 2 channel speakers

3) No price limitations

4) No external sub.

I currently own an Altec Lansing SoundBar 2.1 which has quickly become obsolete due to what I feel is a lack of Low - MidRange response. Making a quick run through local stores, I feel as if the Bose MusicMonitor speakers are probably the best sounding 2.0 speakers I've seen that meets my requirements.

I've also looked at other speakers like the Logitech AudioHub 2.1 and the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 (editors choice on pcmag) but havn't tested them out personally. These are the kinds of speakers I'm looking for.

I want to restate that I am not looking for a "most bang for your buck" deal. I want one that will last me for two years or more.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, nobody has mentioned the Audio Engine 5's or M-Audio DSM2's?

Reference quality bookshelf speakers, built in amps and EQ's

http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phileDSM2.html

The M-Audio DSM1's are also spectacular if you don't want the DSM2's larger cabinet housing 8" drivers, http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phileDSM1.html

Nice thing about both companies is they offer an optional acoustically matched subwoofer for either, if you want to upgrade down the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /forum/post/15431244

Wow, nobody has mentioned the Audio Engine 5's or M-Audio DSM2's?

Reference quality bookshelf speakers, built in amps and EQ's

The M-Audio DSM1's are also spectacular if you don't want the DSM2's larger cabinet housing 8" drivers

Nice thing about both companies is they offer an optional acoustically matched subwoofer for either, if you want to upgrade down the road.

Oh nice. I like those audioengines. I'll put that on the list of speakers to try. I think the M-Audio speakers have got a few too many features that I would regularly use though.

Can you suggest anything smaller?

·
The Village Idiot
9,756 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you serious about no price limit? If so, look at pro quality studio monitors, like the Dynaudio powered monitors, something by JBL or ADAM.

Other option is high quality bookshelf speakers and an external DAC & Amp, which is what I use.

You'd probably be better to give a price range because the fact you're looking at those klipsch all-in-ones tells me your budget does have limitations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderx /forum/post/15438517

Are you serious about no price limit? If so, look at pro quality studio monitors, like the Dynaudio powered monitors, something by JBL or ADAM.

Other option is high quality bookshelf speakers and an external DAC & Amp, which is what I use.

You'd probably be better to give a price range because the fact you're looking at those klipsch all-in-ones tells me your budget does have limitations.

Well, yes I do not have a price range, but I wasn't expecting to find so many "studio" status speakers. Originally I was looking for the smallest, most unobtrusive speakers that gave me the best sound...something not like the audioengine 5 or the audiophiles.

So having an external DAC and Amp would be out of my specifications for unobtrusiveness.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/15433194

These get high marks and they are priced well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121122

I've honestly never been one to trust a keyboard company for hi-fi audio. I think they get high marks precisely because they are "priced well."

Harmon Kardon, on the other hand, who has already been needlessly lambasted in this thread, make some damn fine products, though I've never used their speakers, and the pair posted look absolutely ridiculous.

But I'm going to second audioengine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I agree. These audioengine 2's look fantastic and based on second hand reports from a few other friends, they seem to work wonderfully.

I visited the Apple store a few days ago and tried out the Bose Musicmonitors again though. I thought it sounded alright but since I havn't actually tried out the audioengines, I can't really make any comparisons at this moment. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Musicmonitor?

·
Registered
30 Posts
3rd on the Audioengine A2. Don't expect sonic perfection but they are truly amazing considering their size. Only drawback is that the volume control is on the back of the left speaker but as long as they are within arms length it's not really a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.