AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I already own a mits widescreen hd set and I love it for dvd's and hidef material yada yada. I gotta admit watching analog 480i makes me wanna barf. Digital upcoverted 480i stuff looks great, but there is simply too much noise and other crap on my analog time warner cable. Ive tried Dscaler and even my hipix to upcovert the anlog cable and it still looks like crap.

What finally broke the camel's back is gran tousimo 3 on my ps2. It looked really nice on a 32inch sony direct view at the game's premiere. At home on my 55inch mits, i see way too much of the jagglies and other artifacts on this relatively lo res source. You know how everybody wants that "film" look and not that "video" look with their sets. Well for this source I want that video look and my rptv just aint givin it 2 me. I just think my tv is too big for the interlaced signal of the ps2. My dreamcast vga looks incredible btw.

So, what is the best analog 32-36 inch direct view out there? I wanna watch cable and play ps2 games, that's it. Hidef and dvd's and dreamcast will stay in the domain of my mits. I wanna second set that won't break the bank so I can play games and watch mtv.

So I wanna go native, 480i should be seen on a 480i display device. No digital sets w/ line converter/doubles etc. Ive seen these sets introduce too much noise and degrade the picture. The doublers in these less expensive sets just can't hack it. The favorites so far have been the sony fd sets. Im leaning toward the sony kv 32fv26. At a thousand bucks its not exactly a deal for a 32 inch. Anybody know any diamonds in the rough? Flat screen with component inputs are a must.(I don't wanna go comletely ghetto!)The room is sun drenched with 2 walls of full glass. I can't control the light much so it needs to be a direct view.

Theres gotta be others out there with a crappy cable signal. (some channels look great btw while most others are aweful, so I know the fault lies in the signal, not my set, so please no posts about how great your hd rptv looks great with analog. You don't have the hellish cable system I have. TNT doesn't come thru at all, its all snowy and ghosted!)

Help me find a 4:3 direct view with yummy scan lines.

K

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have a Mits. as well (65857) and I ONLY watch DVD and HDTV material on it. For my video/cable/vhs material, I use my 32" Toshiba in my bedroom. It has component inputs for your PS2 and it will look just great. Mine has dual tuner PIP which was extra, but I think I paid around $600, and that was 2yrs ago. I'm sure they have new stuff in the latest direct view Toshiba's but I'd look to them for a good price/performance direct view analog set.

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I know, this is purely subjective.

But a while back I was shopping at The Good Guys for a 27"

upgrade for my old Mits 27. Sony doesn't make a 27XBR

any longer, so that option was out.

Well on the wall among all of the 27's the one set that

really stood out as DRAMATICALLY sharper, brighter, crisper

and with better color than all the others was the

JVC-27F802. This a a pure-flat 27" and it was quite

remarkable.

I haven't bought it (yet) because it is larger and heavier

than my Mits 27", and the entertainment center may not have

sufficient room for it and still let me get behind it to

do the wiring.

However the 27F802 set was really terrific, on the display

wall at the store.

I now see at the JVC site that there is also a 32" version

of this set, the AV-32F802. This does appear to be their

"top of the line" 32" model.

While I haven't seen it myself, I'd at least

suggest that you give it a look-see. If it's like their

27" I think you'll be very pleased. I know I was startled.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4203000

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Don't get another set for 480i - get a DVDO iScan Pro, to replace the (crappy) line doubler of your set.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Abdul, but I don't really have faith that a dvdo will be much better than my htpc using dscaler. With sh1tty cable, its a matter of garbage in garbage out. One thing I havent checked is dscaler (or dvdo for that matter) w/ a ps2. Anyone try that setup yet?

Anywho, im really tryin to get a smaller set w/ scan lines so the 480i picture gets painted in a smaller area with no upconversions going on. Besides for the price of a dvdo, I can get another larger set for the living room which would be more practical for the whole family. I really don't want this to be about upcoversion methods, I think I know my line doubler/scaler options pretty well.

I would like a simple analog set with a bright picture and punchy performance. I feel like Im asking for the best micro brew at a fine wine wine tasting. Ive got good cabernet in the ht room, I need some good beer in the living room.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Its been hard finding anything other than sony at most retailers. I'll check out the Tosh and the JVC.

K

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn't the Sony Wega fit the bill for you? Built-in doubler, superb picture, etc.

If you can afford it, buy the Loewe but the Sony is a close second.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.