AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its either the Samsung A650 or the Sony W4100.

I hear the samsung has input lag and that the sony has way less.

i really like the PQ on the Samsung more plus its like $100-200 cheaper.

i dont want to pass on the samsung because of lag since its a awesome tv.

I used to have a 71F and felt no input lag, if there was i didnt feel it so my question is how does the A650 compare to the 71f lag wise? becase if its equal i can live with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Even with all the tweaks for the A650 to reduce the lag (game mode, naming the port PC, ect) your still going to have around 30ms of lag. This only occurs in the 6+ series of Sammys. The 71F you speak of is a completely different line.

I would go with the Sony. I have played on an A650 a quite a few times now and the lag is really annoying, especially playing Rock Band. It made it nearly impossible for me to properly time my counters in DoA4 (that game leaves little room for error). It is a wonderful TV for movie watchers, but gamers should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
538 Posts
why did you get rid of your 71F, I think that 71F series was nicer then anything Samsung has released since, LED local dimming backlit and 120hz was very nice set.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The W4100 is an excellent TV. But like eneyman said, the 71F is a better TV. Did yours die or something?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 71F is better than the W4100?

It was my brothers and i used it while i stayed with him. since the A650 is the newer model shouldnt the input lag be equal or better to the 71F? if its equal then im going to get the A650.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 71F was high end last year. The A650 and W4100 are mid range this year (till the 09s come out). The thing that makes the 71F stand out is the LED backlight. That is still a high end feature and makes the contrast ratio much better.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15545667

The 71F was high end last year. The A650 and W4100 are mid range this year (till the 09s come out). The thing that makes the 71F stand out is the LED backlight. That is still a high end feature and makes the contrast ratio much better.

i think you mean 81f

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude /forum/post/15544153

Even with all the tweaks for the A650 to reduce the lag (game mode, naming the port PC, ect) your still going to have around 30ms of lag.

Not sure where you got this info - people who have lag problems on the 650 are usually doing something wrong - using HDMI/PC w/ 720p instead of 1080p, using the wrong HDMI port etc.

I'd say if you have a PS3, it's tougher to avoid lag on the 650 - cause the output is not always 1080p, and there's no official VGA cable. Plus you don't want to watch Blu-Rays on a VGA cable or PC mode. For 360, the 650 is great, for PS3, you might go with Sony.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a PS3 for Bluray and Gaming only.

i'd say 75% Gaming, 25% Bluray

I am better off with the W4100 right? or should i save bit more and get the XBR6

·
Registered
21 Posts
I play COD4 and 5 (PS3) on my 650 online against a couple of my friends, one has a Panny plasma and the two have crts. I have no trouble beating any of them and they play much more than I do. I do keep it in game mode, when playing fast action games though. Blu-rays look totally sick! I almost bought the Sammy you had, but waited. Im glad I did because I think the 650 is better in every way.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Guys what is this talk about the Lag for games...

I bought my 650 last night at pc richards and son here in jersey for 1445 dollars...great deal

i put my 360 and ps3 both via monster hdmi cables and besides the fact that i have not found good settings for gaming i did not see any lag on my 360 games last night

I played madden 09 and COD 5 and NBA 2k9 along with Gears of War 2

I play a lot of madden and cod 5 and i have no lag....i play it every night...it feels the same on my panny 800u as it does on my new 650 from sammy

i dont play Rock band or games like that but i play the game i mentioned above

I do need some good video game settings to make the games like madden and cod 5 looke great...any tips

Also I put sharpness down to 6 because madden has to many jaggies on players with anything higher and even with edge enhancement off....

Anybody else can suggest a cheap surround sound for gaming..i have a small room so i dont need anything expensive

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah maybe this "Lag" is just like "Burn-in"

**** it lol i'm getting the A650, it looks awesome and is awesome and i doubt i will even notice the lag, i mean i have played halo3 MLG on a crap LCD with like 12ms and out BR'd a ton of ppl.

thx for advice!, case closed and to PC Richard to get my A650.

Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/15546447

Yeah maybe this "Lag" is just like "Burn-in"

**** it lol i'm getting the A650, it looks awesome and is awesome and i doubt i will even notice the lag, i mean i have played halo3 MLG on a crap LCD with like 12ms and out BR'd a ton of ppl.

thx for advice!, case closed and to PC Richard to get my A650.

Will post pics soon.

Before you run...one more tidbit and nothing to do with lag. On the Sony you can adjust the color/contrast ect. setting in game mode. On the Samnsung, I thought that was a no. So if your all about the Lag, which I'm guessing your not, then you might want to see the Samsung in game mode first before you buy. I know I tweak the hell out of my sets and so I needed the adjustability. Good luck in what ever you purchase. Both are very good sets, but they have their differences.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/15546510

Before you run...one more tidbit and nothing to do with lag. On the Sony you can adjust the color/contrast ect. setting in game mode. On the Samnsung, I thought that was a no. So if your all about the Lag, which I'm guessing your not, then you might want to see the Samsung in game mode first before you buy. I know I tweak the hell out of my sets and so I needed the adjustability. Good luck in what ever you purchase. Both are very good sets, but they have their differences.

what settings do you use on the samsung for xbox 360

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 /forum/post/15546531

what settings do you use on the samsung for xbox 360

I don't have the Samsung. I went with the Sony due to the apparent lack of customization. At least that was what I was reading on here when deciding to get a TV for gaming purposes. Are you able to adjust the settings (Color/Contrast/Brightness/Hue/White Balance/ect.)? If so that would be great for the OP to know.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/15547355

I don't have the Samsung. I went with the Sony due to the apparent lack of customization. At least that was what I was reading on here when deciding to get a TV for gaming purposes. Are you able to adjust the settings (Color/Contrast/Brightness/Hue/White Balance/ect.)? If so that would be great for the OP to know.

This is what's adjustable in HDMI2/PC mode, or with VGA. (game mode is not adjustable). From another poster:

Mode (Dynamic, Standard, and Movie), Backlight, Contrast, Brightness from the main menu. Under Detailed Settings, you can adjust the Dynamic Contrast, Gamma, and White Balance. Under Picture Options, you can adjust the Color Tone and Screen Size.

Some of the grayed out settings are Sharpness (set to 50 or 20), Color (set to 50), and Tint (set to G50/R50). In the Detailed Settings, Black Adjust (set to Off), Color Space (set to Native), Flesh Tone (set to 0), and Edge Enhancement (set to Off). In the Picture Options, Digital NR (set to Low), DNIe (set to Off), HDMI Black Level (set to Normal), Film Mode (set to Off), Blue Only Mode (set to Off). AMP off.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15547534

This is what's adjustable in HDMI2/PC mode, or with VGA. (game mode is not adjustable). From another poster:

Mode (Dynamic, Standard, and Movie), Backlight, Contrast, Brightness from the main menu. Under Detailed Settings, you can adjust the Dynamic Contrast, Gamma, and White Balance. Under Picture Options, you can adjust the Color Tone and Screen Size.

Some of the grayed out settings are Sharpness (set to 50 or 20), Color (set to 50), and Tint (set to G50/R50). In the Detailed Settings, Black Adjust (set to Off), Color Space (set to Native), Flesh Tone (set to 0), and Edge Enhancement (set to Off). In the Picture Options, Digital NR (set to Low), DNIe (set to Off), HDMI Black Level (set to Normal), Film Mode (set to Off), Blue Only Mode (set to Off). AMP off.

Interesting. Thanks. It does seem that much more is customizeable with the Sonys (not that it makes it better, but just more user changable options). I guess each gamer will have to make up his own mind about what he wants. Thanks for posting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts