AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Haven't been to this section of AVS in a while, but I dropped in to ask your opinions on a decent 5.1 audio system (receiver + speakers). They will be a Christmas gift for my brother, who is just getting into HT. He just got a Panny RPTV and bought himself a decent player (an RP82 I think), but he's a young guy starting out on his own and doesn't have the money left for the audio.

I've seen some packages at Circuit City and Best Buy from Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, etc, but it's impossible to test the sound quality at those places, and the dedicated AV shops don't carry anything in that price range.

Can you all give a couple recommendations?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been on the same shopping venture myself. You may also want to investigate Radio Shack's offerings. Found something there that's missing from the low-end of this price range at CC and BB. The RT2600 (RCA system, Thomson made) 650-watt they list at $299 includes 2 S-vid in and 1 S-vid out. RCA also packages an RT2500, which is feature-comparable but includes an additional S-vid in on the front panel as well as 700 watts and dedicated controls (the RT2600 multifunctions a few buttons).

RS's RT2600 info: Links to specs, owner's manual

RCA's RT2600 info: Blurb with link to owner's manual

RCA's RT2500 info: Blurb with link to owner's manual

Interested to hear folks' experience. Still fence-sitting, wondering if component connections are worthwhile within this price range.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I went off the deep end for my home theater, but I have been impressed with the Model 6 speakers that I got for an office system. The PC Works set-up is pretty good too for what it is.

They have a Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 58 and Sony STR-DE485 Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver that sells for $499 + an additional $50 off of that.
http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...=ht_systemsrec

I know you can not demo them, but it might be a good alternative.

Robert van der Veer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.