AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a solid 5 channel amplifier for a system that will be used both for home theater and music.

The systems consists of:

Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro

Paradigm Signature S1 x 4 and C1 center

Paradigm Seismic 110 sub with PBK correction

Current Amplification:

Odyssey Audio Stratos (with cap upgrade) for front L/R and old Yamaha receiver to amp the center and surrounds that will be re-purposed.

I was originally considering a Parasound Halo A52, but I cannot seem to find it available on the audioadvisor website. Is it still available? I know the Halo A51 would be great, but I think that would be overkill for my system (as the speakers are crossed over at 80 Hz), and I don't want to spend $4.5k on an amp.

If the A52 is no longer available, I am considering the Emotiva XPA-5 as it is very affordable, but I'm concerned that would be a step down from my Odyssey Stratos. Is the Halo A52 still available, or is there another 5 channel amp you would recommend for $3k or less?

For sound preferences, I highly prefer a neutral minimally colored sound that picks up the details and transients, without being bright or warm - just as accurate as possible to the original recording.

The Odyssey Audio will be re-purposed in a different system.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought an XPA5 from someone who went with the Halos. He said he did notice a difference. Don't know if it was several grand worth though. I also tried both the XPA5 and XPA2. I thought the XPA2 provided some more pop than the XPA5 which it should given the power difference. I have Studio 100s so keep that in mind.

You can always try out the XPA5 and see if you like it and then return.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know which Halo he went with? I'm interested in the Halo A52, but I have no idea why the Audioadvisor.com website is not showing it anymore. I believe the A51 would be overkill and don't want to spend the $4.5k that it costs.

I'm almost certain the XPA5 would be good enough for HT, but I'm not so sure about music.

So my question is:

What is the best neutral (neither bright nor warm), and highly detailed and responsive 5 channel amp for $3k or less?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Outlaw 7500, amazing deal at $1600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.