AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a Samsung 60" TV. I want the best picture I can reasonably have within my budget of 2500 or less. LED, Plasma...I don't know. The room is fairly bright in the day time, but I have blinds that can be closed to fix that. Also, where can I find a straight forward comparison of the varios series of samsung tv's? Id like to know the difference between the 8000, 5500, etc. Cant believe its not easier to find on samsungs page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23674271


I would like a Samsung 60" TV. I want the best picture I can reasonably have within my budget of 2500 or less. LED, Plasma...I don't know. The room is fairly bright in the day time, but I have blinds that can be closed to fix that. Also, where can I find a straight forward comparison of the varios series of samsung tv's? Id like to know the difference between the 8000, 5500, etc. Cant believe its not easier to find on samsungs page.

If you are on a budget, but still want the tv that you want you could always do what I did and ordered a tv on QVC with 6 payments......that is if you dont mind the payment thing. They are running a special labor day sale right now through the 8th of September. Prices are lower and 6 payments. I ordered the 60 inch top of the line Sharp 857 myself. The Samsung 7100 I believe is going for just over 2k right now on there. You can get it cheaper in some stores. I know most would rather just buy a tv flat out in which case I would check out sales flyers this Sunday the 1st. You might find some really good labor day sales. If not, amazon from my experience has prices that usually cant be beat, free shipping, and in a lot of states no tax. There's of course Coscto, Sams, etc..

You might want to consider a Sharp 757 as well since it has a matte screen and might work better in your lighting conditions. I was more impressed with the Sharps in store on display then I was the Samsungs, but its a matter of personal preference.

As far as comparing the tv's I found amazon to be the best. If you go onto one of the tv's sales page such as the Samsung 7100 and scroll down on the page there is a comparison chart with several models listed with features, etc..


I also recommend a Square Trade warranty through Costcos website as its only $99 and you dont even need to be a member to buy it.


Now with a budget of $2500 or less I'd recommend for led's checking out the Samsung 7100 and 8000, Vizio M series, LG 7400, Sony 550A, and Sharp 757 and 857. I honestly can't help with Plasmas. You can get the 8000 right now on amazon just barely at your budget. Here is the link. Again, if you scroll down to the bottom you'll see a comparison chart of a lot of the models. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60F8000-60-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00BCGRLX0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377634165&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+8000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should be able to hit up the 60" F8000 for my budget if I am patient. I have a little time. Looks like its right at $2400, not including tax...if I get it in state. Thanks for the info on Amazon! Ill look!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23674657


I should be able to hit up the 60" F8000 for my budget if I am patient. I have a little time. Looks like its right at $2400, not including tax...if I get it in state. Thanks for the info on Amazon! Ill look!

No problem. If you can afford the 8000 then that's the one I would go for out of all of them myself. You just get more bang for your buck in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not planning on replacing it every 5 years, so I do want to get the most for my money without overdoing it. If that is what I want, then I just need to hope I can get teh rest of the Audio equipment for about the same price or less! To the other board I go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
You can get samsung 8000 .The picture quality is the best I've seen, and I've looked at about 10-11 other TV's. Super sharp, bright, and if you're so inclined there are many settings you can easily adjust.

The smart features include being able to see what's on TV via mini screens it shows. On one screen, you can see what's on various channels via picture, title, channel, etc. Very handy


I use the APP screen a lot, as that's where the Netflix and Amazon Video apps are, and it also works perfectly.

The built-in WiFi took all of about 2 minutes to connect to my network, and has worked fine without any drops or quality issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A buddy just bought a 65" Samsung for 1000 less than the F8000 60"...it has no 3D, no Smart functionality. Am I ONLY paying for these features, or is the picture quality really that much better? I hate to spend that much MORE on a smaller TV just for a few useless bells and whistles. What's the deal with that?


Specifically teh F8000 vs. EH6000....is the picture quality exactly the same? I don't even have reliable broadband internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23684279


A buddy just bought a 65" Samsung for 1000 less than the F8000 60"...it has no 3D, no Smart functionality. Am I ONLY paying for these features, or is the picture quality really that much better? I hate to spend that much MORE on a smaller TV just for a few useless bells and whistles. What's the deal with that?


Specifically teh F8000 vs. EH6000....is the picture quality exactly the same? I don't even have reliable broadband internet.

The EH6000 has lighter black levels and a mediocre picture quality when compared to the 8000. You will see a difference. Yes you are paying for the bells and whistles on the 8000, but the picture is better. If you arent real picky with picture quality and can live with a good picture, but not great then the 6000 will be fine. The 6000 has a 120hz vs the 8000's 240 hz. To me thats not a big deal unless you watch a lot of sports. 120 is enough. It only has 2 hdmi inputs so if you have more then 2 devices you would need an adapter for any more. The big advantage to the 6000 is I'm pretty certain that it is a full array backlit tv and not edge lit. That alone will avoid a lot of the issues the edge lit tv's put out. If you dont plan on using smart features, 3d, etc.. then the 6000 would be a good choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IM trying to future proof as well. It would not be surprising if I still have this TV in 10 years...provided it doesnt crap out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
For 10 years you can have a Samsung f8000,so many features that you want.

Smart Touch Remote Control

Enjoy all the benefits of a Universal Remote with the Smart Touch Remote Control. Use it to control multiple devices connected to your Smart TV, including the set top box, Blu-ray player and Home Entertainment System. The innovative touch pad allows for quick and intuitive navigation, while the built-in microphone provides an alternative way to control your Smart TV with your voice.

Micro Dimming Ultimate

Experience incredible picture contrast, color and detail with Micro Dimming Ultimate. By maximizing the contrast between lights and darks,
Samsung’s Micro Dimming technology displays a picture that is as true-to-life as possible. Our innovative technology scans zones across the image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper dark tones and brighter whites. It also eliminates the “halo” effect and image distortion that can happen with diffused lights. The Ultimate version of this technology optimizes the quality to new heights by scanning 2x the number of zones in the image. The result is a crystal-clear picture with realistic, vivid detail and accurate color reproduction.

Samsung Active 3D

Enjoy stunning Full HD 1080p in both 2D and 3D modes. With Samsung’s 3D converter, turn 2D viewing into 3D for an amazing cinematic experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailbil1  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23684572


For 10 years you can have a Samsung f8000,so many features that you want.

Smart Touch Remote Control

Enjoy all the benefits of a Universal Remote with the Smart Touch Remote Control. Use it to control multiple devices connected to your Smart TV, including the set top box, Blu-ray player and Home Entertainment System. The innovative touch pad allows for quick and intuitive navigation, while the built-in microphone provides an alternative way to control your Smart TV with your voice.

Micro Dimming Ultimate

Experience incredible picture contrast, color and detail with Micro Dimming Ultimate. By maximizing the contrast between lights and darks,
Samsung’s Micro Dimming technology displays a picture that is as true-to-life as possible. Our innovative technology scans zones across the image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper dark tones and brighter whites. It also eliminates the “halo” effect and image distortion that can happen with diffused lights. The Ultimate version of this technology optimizes the quality to new heights by scanning 2x the number of zones in the image. The result is a crystal-clear picture with realistic, vivid detail and accurate color reproduction.

Samsung Active 3D

Enjoy stunning Full HD 1080p in both 2D and 3D modes. With Samsung’s 3D converter, turn 2D viewing into 3D for an amazing cinematic experience.


Are you sure you don't work for Samsung?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23684485


IM trying to future proof as well. It would not be surprising if I still have this TV in 10 years...provided it doesnt crap out.

It depends on what you define as future proof. In terms of features, any TV you buy now will probably be obsolete in a few years (if keeping up with the latest is a concern.) Tech just progresses so fast nowadays.


But in terms of your TV working and using things like blu-ray players and content streamers, it'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02  /t/1487994/need-a-60-tv-have-a-budget#post_23684485


IM trying to future proof as well. It would not be surprising if I still have this TV in 10 years...provided it doesnt crap out.

tv's these days are a hit or miss with the life span which sucks. I remember back in the day (I sound old there lol) where you could buy a tv and expect it to last a long time. Now I read about people all of the time saying their tv's crap out within 4-5 years. My current Dell tv is 9 years old and is just now starting to have issues. I wonder if the newer led technology has a lot to do with it or if all of those extra features play a part in it. They say they are supposed to last longer, but most of the tv's are now made in Mexico and the quality control just doesnt seem to be as good as it used to be. That or they just do things on purpose so you have to buy a new one so they can make more money. I'm hoping the new tv I'm waiting on lasts just as long as my current one.

I would suggest since your friend has the 6000 to check his out then make a trip to the store and check the 8000 out. I know its a little hard to check tv's out in the store because they are either set to store mode where the colors and contrast are set so high or the tv isnt calibrated correctly. I usually look more for defects when I look at tv's. Ghosting, flashlighting, etc..

Thats what made me go with the Sharp 857 over the Samsung 7100. I saw to many issues with the Samsung and none with the Sharp. Everyone's eyes are different though so you have to go with what you see and like.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top