AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an enclosed Tiki Bar at my home and last year I bought a 7.1 Yamaha receiver to use in it. Well I guess the heat and humidity got to the old girl and she is officially done for. The thing was never exposed to the elements but it does sit out there in a non heated room through the extremes of winter and summer here in New York.

Now the question...

I don't want to have to do this over and over. The thing is just powering a half dozen rock speakers around my pool so I am not looking for KRELL here.

Can someone recommend a "built Like a Brick Outhouse" receiver for me that will do the trick and take a licking from mother nature? 50 Watts a channel should be more than enough.

Help please,

Russ

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yah, I don't think any conventional 7.1 AV receiver is going to perform any better outdoors. You either need to place it indoors or get something that designed specifcally to work outdoors.

I don't think high outdoor temperatures are the biggest problem you face, by the way, I suspect what killed your receiver is either lack of ventalation or damage caused by dew in the cooler months. These things get shipped and stored around the world in all sorts climates, so they're designed to withstand a wide range of temperatures when not in use.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it could just be a lousy receiver but I doubt it. In any case I like the idea of running the system off my Control 4 system, which I have on the home audio system and all over my house. I'll have to ask my installer about that....hmmm.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use a Pioneer 1020 out on my deck that upgraded a Pioneer d509s that had been out there for 6 years without issue. The receiver and a PS3 are inside a fan-vented cabinet that is weather stripped and HEATED for the winter; the TV cabinet above is also heated.

The heaters are the smallest ones I could find with a THERMOSTAT and I also monitor the temp in both cabinets using a refrigerator/freezer thermometer like THIS .

The receiver/PS3 cabinet is always closed so I can control the ventilation in the summer with a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.