AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current 52" Sony RPTV (vintage 1998 SD CRT) with my side AV stand and giant speakers is the last stronghold of my bachelor days. I've been considering getting a new Plasma (most likely 42" ED Panny or Sony) but of course the wife sees little need to spend $2k-3k on a TV when "ours looks fine". However, the wife HATES this little black metal corner of technology in our otherwise Pottery Barn home. I quickly saw the angle of WAF attack. When proposing the plasma I said, "you know if we got a plasma you could hide all of this "stuff" inside of a big piece of furniture". Her eyes glowed... and it began.

So begins my hunt... We went shopping for a new plasma home (and AV components) but could fine little in our area (Orlando). The wife likes a couple amoires we saw, but many of them weren't wide enough to handle a 42" Plasma or didn't have enough shelves for all the AV stuff.

Anyone found any amoires that could house a 42" Plasma and 3-4 AV components. Pictures and links appreciated.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You don't necessarily have to hide the plasma to have high WAF. Hang it on the wall like a picture and put your components into a nice "pottery barn-esque" piece like the Ethan Allen line. Its clean and looks very non-industrial.

overtime

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
After literally years of looking, we found an entertainment center at a "Oak Wherehouse" type of store. I don't rember any armoirs large enought for a 42" tv, but we found one with an open front that was 44" wide. It will accept 42" plasma without speakers on the side. So - check out some of you local wood furniture stores.

JCPZero

·
Registered
181 Posts
Jason,

One of the best selections of furniture can be found on this site hookerfurniture.com Wife might not like the name of the company and it might remind you of bachelor days. They have pictures and sizes (no pun intended) for all units and their selection is top-notch. Go into the Product Showroom and Entertainment link.

I purchased one for my 42" Panasonic and it looks great and is a solid piece of furniture.

Good luck,

Max

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree the wife would probably like to hang it on the wall but due to our living room setup we can't. The TV must go into a corner and face out at an angle due to the cable outlet drops and wall/window setup of our living room. An amoire can go in the space at an angle and suit the bill.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Could always try building your own custom cabinet if you have some DIY skills and tools. It's not a quick or easy way to go but at least everything will fit like a glove. Just an idea anyway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have given the DIY plan some thought... I'm pretty handy around the house and can map out the local Home Depot from memory but I don't know that I could build a decent piece of furniture.

Although I do have plenty of plywood laying around (thanks Charley, Frances, and Jeanne!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
This unit ( http://www.hookerfurniture.com/catal...earch_type=106 ) is really nice looking, not too overwhelming, and downright cool with the pop-up plasma factor. I have a 42" Sony which is 3" too wide to fit (42XRB950) due to the floating glass and attached speakers. I am looking for something to accomodate my TV that my wife and I will both accept. I did read in the other thread where someone may try to "cut" the opening to fit a large unit. Pretty risky with a $3000 piece, though.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
An articulating mount will let you hang it on the wall in a corner just fine.

Hang it on the wall with an articulating mount and put all your a/v stuff in a closet. Very high WAF. I used a closet in the laundry room.

Ran all the wires back to the closet and bought an mx-800 to relay all remote control to the closet. I also got appraisal on the remote from the wife. I programmed it to be an activity based remote and she told me it is easy to use. I could not believe it.

The $$ I spent on the mount, wiring, and remote ended up being cheaper than many of the nicer pieces of furniture that would hold a/v gear.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Check out remotecentral.com

It is a pc programmable remote with hard buttons. It has an LCD screen allowing you to label learned commands with whatever label you would like. (5 characters in length).

It is an IR remote with an RF repeater. Basically, it will send out normal IR commands and send them via RF to a repeater in a separate room that will then repeat the IR codes into that room.

In my case, my components are in a closet with the rf repeater. I don't have to aim the remote at anything as the RF repeater picks up the command thru walls and repeats to components in the closet.

It is pretty easy to program and I made buttons on the main page that say:

Watch TV

Watch DVD

Play CD

Play VCR

Play Xbox

These start macros that change inputs and audio, etc.

This remote also accepts discrete codes. Check the remote forum here and at remotecentral.com for more info.

For us the arm was essential for the layout of the house. My wife can swing the arm so the tv faces the kitchen and the kids play area. This allows her to watch tv while making dinner (I try, but usually does not work well) and we can have the tv face the kids play area when she wants to watch baby einstein or barney or whatever.

Added Bonus. Having the tv mounted up on the wall offers less opportunity for button pushing and screen touching for the kids.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are nice... but big bucks! I'd hate to spend more on the "TV holder" than the actual TV.

Now I remember why I bought a RPTV 6 years ago. No furniture required

·
Registered
335 Posts
Something cheaper like this Ikea cabinet? It's under $250...not super high-quality but it might work...you could finish it the way you want.

Width: 47 1/4 "

Depth: 22 7/8 "

Height: 73 5/8 "

edit: this cabinet is called STRANDA

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is why flat screens are the ultimate consumer electronics device - you can con your wife into wanting one too. Never in a million years did I think I'd see the day!

I would try Ethan Allen. They have good furniture lines which are generally superior in quality to Pottery Barn and should integrate well with what you have. Most of their recent stuff is made for RPTVs, tho, so don't show your wife that. She'll think you can just hide the TV inside of it and save money. She gets her thing, you get stuck with the old TV. Make sure to get the plasma screen first and then go to the furniture showroom.

sleeks- your children will discover chairs and then all your hard work goes right out the window. I mounted my TV a little lower so that I wouldn't have scuffs on the walls for when the kids eventually tried to drag the extension ladder in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.