AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new and confused where to ask, so I hope is right to write here, can't post my link of compare list, need 5 posts, I dont have it Im new and need help please...

I need an Blu-Ray driver\player recomendtion from a list of 3 to compare:
can't post the compare link (no 5 posts), please copy\past my compare list below to see:
en.ksp.co.il/?list_compare=.22600..21529..20737.&store=KSP03

need it to watch Blu-Ray disks in PC.

LG WH16NS40 (Cheaper Cost) - does this Blu-Ray driver is "retail" and sure come with a helpful software?

or the Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray (Medium Cost) better option to select?

or maybe the (High Cost) Driver, he come with softwares, are him better?
driver's name: Asus BW-16D1HT 16X Blu-Ray

- I need watch the movies, I dont see me burn\make a Blu-Ray disk anytime soon, again, need the Blu-Ray to watch the movies good and clear.
if you need the movies name's just tell.

Thanks you so much for help with this friends.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
If all you want to do is watch movies on disc, it's probably better to just get a standalone Blu-ray player (Sony, Samsung, etc), it will be easier and probably cheaper too.

Otherwise, whatever drive you get really doesn't matter, there's nothing in the drive itself that affects playback. And as for software that comes with the drive, it's usually a stripped down and/or very outdated version, which you'd need to upgrade anyway (that Asus drive seems to come with PowerDVD 10, current version is 14).

If you're not planning on ripping to your hard drive or the like, I'd just get a standalone player.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx stanger89, for the answer mate.
yep, my first purpose for the Blu-Ray is for Watch 2x movies I brough from amazon, and they may come in 13 April, got time for select Blu-Ray player\driver.

hmm "standalone" player what does it mean?
like buy an Xbox or Play Station, devices that can real Blu-Ray ?

just want it for the PC to watch.

about Asus, sure software be out of date, like buy an Motherboard or Grapich card and install from disk out date xD
but think does the software come with Serial key if needed for them?
or can recommend please for an Free Blu-Ray software\player?

if I get right so the LG driver and the Pioneer not good for my use?

Thanks so much for help.

ps.
oh, from this site I can select a Free Blu-Ray support software? widescreen.org/multimedia.shtml
there is one that mustly recommended?

if need to know, the blu-ray movies I going to watch are:
Alien Anthology [Blu-ray]
Predator Triple Feature [Blu-ray]

I think both of them that come with English, are used Format: Multiple Formats, AC-3, Blu-ray, Box set, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound, Dubbed, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen
so for each need the right software to use?

Thanks so much for help me with that.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Standalone = A "Costco" BR player, hooked up to TV, BAM, no PC.

If no TV and must use PC monitor then anything that comes bundled with PowerDVD, any version, otherwise you will have to spend another $50+ for the software alone.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
about Asus, sure software be out of date, like buy an Motherboard or Grapich card and install from disk out date xD
but think does the software come with Serial key if needed for them?
or can recommend please for an Free Blu-Ray software\player?
The issue is, due to Blu-ray licensing, software Blu-ray players need regular updates to work, and if I remember correctly, Cyberlink tends to stop providing those updates for PowerDVD forcing you to upgrade to a newer, supported version. So there's a good chance that PowerDVD 10 (for example) won't work with new discs. I'm sure someone here will chime in if I'm wrong :p

As far as free software, there's no such thing, there is no free Blu-ray software. The only Blu-ray software is Cyberlink PowerDVD and Corel WinDVD.

if I get right so the LG driver and the Pioneer not good for my use?
I didn't look at those. Like I said the drive itself doesn't make any difference, but if the drive you buy doesn't come with software, you'll have to buy PowerDVD or WinDVD too, and if the drive comes with software, but not current software, you may have to (purchase) upgrade to a newer version that's supported.

Who vendor sells it with PowerDVD?
I just looked at Newegg and it was listed in the specs as included.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you friends.
had some question about the blu-ray software:
1) if I get PowerDVD 10, there is no "free" updates for the newer like 14 ?
every little software need a paying for.... ah

I thinked about that site in "stanger89" post as: widescreen.org/multimedia.shtml
(no 5 posts yet)
2) does I will need Dvix, Quicktime and Realplayer (free) with a blu-ray drive?

and yes, my way that I want and can for now watch the movies in by PC.

3) so better me buy a Cheaper Blu-Ray drive like the Pioneer (390) or the LG (340) than I ask for good software to purchase to be able watch them?

or better go for the High hell cost (499) of Asus, (with Softwares) that come with the Asus drive as:
Cyberlink Power2Go 8
Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 with Magic Cinema (Optional, Pro Only)
Cyberlink PowerBackup 2.5 (Optional, Pro Only)
Cyberlink InstantBurn 5 (Optional, Pro Only)
E-Green

4) there is limited time purchase of a blu-ray support software? or is come with pay each month? (Stealing money).
5) if there great software for the Blu-Ray movies I wrote above, tell me please.

Greatly appreciate the help guys!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The issue is, due to Blu-ray licensing, software Blu-ray players need regular updates to work, and if I remember correctly, Cyberlink tends to stop providing those updates for PowerDVD forcing you to upgrade to a newer, supported version. So there's a good chance that PowerDVD 10 (for example) won't work with new discs. I'm sure someone here will chime in if I'm wrong :p
Correct to a degree. I think for PDVD 10 Ultra there was actually a free update to 11 Ultra (probably because of so little time between versions and possibly due to functionality issues in 10) but I don't think that applies for OEM versions. I think 11 will actually still play the latest movies but it's only a matter of time before support for that is dropped as well. The only way to get older versions to work with BDs requiring newer AACS keys is to use an AACS-removing program alongside it, like AnyDVD HD. With AnyDVD, you'll be able to continue to play BDs on any version of PDVD that plays BDs.

Arcsoft TMT was the same AFAIK, and since they've stopped developing that program, the only way to continue to use that indefinitely for BD playback is to use AnyDVD. WinDVD is the only one of the lot that supplies AACS updates for older versions. For example WinDVD 8 still works fine once updates are downloaded, despite them being on version 11 today.

As far as free software, there's no such thing, there is no free Blu-ray software. The only Blu-ray software is Cyberlink PowerDVD and Corel WinDVD.
Also correct. However some drives do come bundled with an OEM version of the software. The only issue with the OEM versions is they may be out-of-date and also may have lesser/limited features compared to the retail version of the software. Whether the OEM version is "free" or not depends on the price of the drive--often times the versions of the drive (usually retail) that come with software are priced higher. In all honestly it's better to buy a bare/OEM drive at lower cost and then just purchase PDVD (retail) separately. That way you're at least on the latest version today and should get the most life out of it. Either that or get the OEM software and buy AnyDVD HD instead of BD software, and not worry about AACS expiry.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Thanks you friends.
had some question about the blu-ray software:
1) if I get PowerDVD 10, there is no "free" updates for the newer like 14 ?
every little software need a paying for.... ah
Generally yes.

I thinked about that site in "stanger89" post as: widescreen.org/multimedia.shtml
(no 5 posts yet)
2) does I will need Dvix, Quicktime and Realplayer (free) with a blu-ray drive?
That's my signature, it doesn't apply to this discussion.

and yes, my way that I want and can for now watch the movies in by PC.

Correct to a degree. I think for PDVD 10 Ultra there was actually a free update to 11 Ultra (probably because of so little time between versions and possibly due to functionality issues in 10) but I don't think that applies for OEM versions. I think 11 will actually still play the latest movies but it's only a matter of time before support for that is dropped as well. The only way to get older versions to work with BDs requiring newer AACS keys is to use an AACS-removing program alongside it, like AnyDVD HD. With AnyDVD, you'll be able to continue to play BDs on any version of PDVD that plays BDs.
Though AnyDVD is more expensive than PowerDVD/WinDVD or a standalone player.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Though AnyDVD is more expensive than PowerDVD/WinDVD or a standalone player.
Yeah pretty much. This is why a standalone is a much preferable solution but it sounds like OP needs it working on a PC specifically, which means these are their choices. I mean the "other" choice is just use PDVD and/or AnyDVD and uh, well...not pay for it. But we don't talk about that kind of thing on this forum so I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok bro's
so write me please what be better to me for watch Blu-Ray movies in PC.
1) buy the Cheap LG, Medium cost Pioneer or the High cost Asus ?

2) plus, after I own a Blu-Ray player\hardware device, I need Power DVD 14 ? or the 10 can do a good work ?

does the Power DVD program, come "forever" after purchase or need pay for it each month?

cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1

3) so if using those program: Dvix, Quicktime and Realplayer (free), needs all with a blu-ray drive, yep?
are all of them free and recomended?

so I buy Driver Blu-Ray to PC for the Disks, and need to select a program to be able lunch the movies, Many Thanks for the support with the select :)
any recomendtion would be appreciate friends!

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
ok bro's
so write me please what be better to me for watch Blu-Ray movies in PC.
1) buy the Cheap LG, Medium cost Pioneer or the High cost Asus ?
It doesn't matter, they'll all read discs.

2) plus, after I own a Blu-Ray player\hardware device, I need Power DVD 14 ? or the 10 can do a good work ?
You might want to ask in one of the PowerDVD threads if older versions still work.

does the Power DVD program, come "forever" after purchase or need pay for it each month?
Your license for PowerDVD is "forever". That said, Blu-ray licensing is such new Blu-ray discs come with new encryption keys requiring that your Blu-ray software be updated to support those new keys. After a period of time (a year, two, three, I don't know) Cyberlink stops updating old versions of PowerDVD with new encryption keys, meaning it will no longer play new discs. It continues to work for old discs.

3) so if using those program: Dvix, Quicktime and Realplayer (free), needs all with a blu-ray drive, yep?
are all of them free and recomended?
No, you don't. If you're referring to my signature, as I said above, it has nothing to do with this discussion.

so I buy Driver Blu-Ray to PC for the Disks, and need to select a program to be able lunch the movies, Many Thanks for the support with the select :)
any recomendtion would be appreciate friends!
PowerDVD and WinDVD are your only choices for playing discs. I personally wouldn't recommend either, I'd get a standalone player, but you'll have to turn to other members here for what they think. All I know is PowerDVD is the only (still available) software I ever see mentioned here with any regularity.

But just to be sure you understand, a Blu-ray drive plus software will cost you at least $100, and will likely not work as well as a standalone Blu-ray player that costs half as much.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It doesn't matter, they'll all read discs.
Yep.

You might want to ask in one of the PowerDVD threads if older versions still work.
That's an idea but I think it's going to come down to more trial and error, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure 11 and later should play everything up until today though.

Your license for PowerDVD is "forever". That said, Blu-ray licensing is such new Blu-ray discs come with new encryption keys requiring that your Blu-ray software be updated to support those new keys. After a period of time (a year, two, three, I don't know) Cyberlink stops updating old versions of PowerDVD with new encryption keys, meaning it will no longer play new discs. It continues to work for old discs.
I think, in theory, even older discs can stop working (?), but I've never seen that in reality. I use AnyDVD these days anyway so I wouldn't know. Licenses are indeed forever except for some programs/services like PDVD Live which is a subscription service. However, not to confuse the matter, the program operates legitimately forever but the security software that controls BD may expire and not be updated in that version of player software.

PowerDVD and WinDVD are your only choices for playing discs. I personally wouldn't recommend either, I'd get a standalone player, but you'll have to turn to other members here for what they think. All I know is PowerDVD is the only (still available) software I ever see mentioned here with any regularity.
That's true...and also interesting. Because only PDVD and TMT (which is no longer available/supported) were ever discussed to any large degree. WinDVD OTOH actually works pretty darn well and without problems, and has for a long time. LOL. Probably why not many have talked about it--no complaints! I use PDVD but I actually wonder why wouldn't I use WinDVD? I think it's because WinDVD is more turnkey and seems to have less settings, etc. than the others. Still it works well and if all you need is BD playback it might be the best route, TBH.

But just to be sure you understand, a Blu-ray drive plus software will cost you at least $100, and will likely not work as well as a standalone Blu-ray player that costs half as much.
It's true. While several years ago a BD drive + software was more cost-effective, today it's the complete opposite. Standalone is your friend. But again it seems like there's some need for OP to use the PC in this case so my previous recommendations are about all there is for direct-disc playback.

OP is looking for a simple solution in a land that's not so simple. I'd suggest either getting a bare drive and getting whatever either the latest PDVD or WinDVD there is, whichever is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
It's true. While several years ago a BD drive + software was more cost-effective, today it's the complete opposite. Standalone is your friend. But again it seems like there's some need for OP to use the PC in this case so my previous recommendations are about all there is for direct-disc playback.
Couldn't agree more. Any specific reason why OP needs a PC and can't get a standalone? Because standalone is less expensive both right now and in the long run (no need to pay for software upgrades) and is far less troublesome. Personally, we just play ripped Blu-ray MKVs on the HTPC. Any time we want to watch special features, etc, we just pop the disc into the PS3. I've given up on PowerDVD and TMT. Way too clunky.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What is the difference between AnyDVD and PowerDVD? What would be the best program/software to use if you want to rip Blurays and DVD's to an external drive in their native formats, and be able to play them back through a 5.x surround setup using JRiver?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
What is the difference between AnyDVD and PowerDVD? What would be the best program/software to use if you want to rip Blurays and DVD's to an external drive in their native formats, and be able to play them back through a 5.x surround setup using JRiver?
PowerDVD is an officially licensed piece of software. They pay to use patented technologies owned by the Bluray Alliance. It can read the encryption on the disc, display the disc menus, decode the audio tracks, and utilize special features like BD Live.

AnyDVD is grey market software. They have reverse engineered the encryption keys on DVDs and Bluray discs. Running AnyDVD "unlocks" the disc inside your optical disc drive, allowing you to use different kinds of software - ripping, video conversion, unlicensed players, etc.

If you are going to use JRiver, and you want JRiver to be your movie player, you need AnyDVD to unlock the disc. You would still need to acquire another piece of grey market software to decode DTS-MA.

PowerDVD has the ability to both read the disc encryption and decode DTS-MA. It has nothing to do with ripping though, so you'd still need AnyDVD or another solution to rip the discs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks to you guys, for telling me and explain every little sence.
next, I liked how you wrote OP (open post) and didnt tell it, lol is take me some time to understand that, I know OP in games etc (Over Power) but that's another talks.

my idea was to buy the Blu-Ray movies\Disks to play them in the PC. didnt think about another option right now, but you recomend me better be outside the PC and enjoy with standalone device to watch in TV.

are standalone device like PS3 or Xbox... items that can run Blu-Ray Disks, they didnt higher cost from single Blu-Ray Driver and Support Program? (3k , 4k etc)

so about the 3 Blu-Ray drives, I think to go with the LG now, the Cheaper Cost from them, if everyone of them do same work\job...

than next, think to buy Power DVD to be able watch the movies in my PC, version 14 yep?
question: if\when be new Power DVD version, so need pay again to upgrade or can keep with the 14 (older)?

are you thinking for another smart option to do maybe?
I be very glad to read friends, Thanks everyone of you, I really need this Help (info).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
my idea was to buy the Blu-Ray movies\Disks to play them in the PC. didnt think about another option right now, but you recomend me better be outside the PC and enjoy with standalone device to watch in TV.

are standalone device like PS3 or Xbox... items that can run Blu-Ray Disks, they didnt higher cost from single Blu-Ray Driver and Support Program? (3k , 4k etc)
In the US:

Standalone Blu-ray Player: $50-80
TOTAL COST: $50-80

BD-ROM Drive for PC: $40
PowerDVD or WinDVD: $50-60
TOTAL: $90-100 (might need to spend more for future updates)

Not sure what prices are like in your country but over here, it's cheaper and far less hassle to just buy a standalone for simple Blu-ray disc playback.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
TripleTripe,

You keep talking about stand-alone players being expensive game consoles like PS3 and Xbox. So it sounds like you are unaware that actual stand-alone players exist. Here are a few examples of stand-alone players:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-blu-ray-players-100/

Personally, I buy all my players used/refurbished for $40 or less. They're typically good as new.

Also realize that 4k discs for consumers don't exist yet, and 3k discs will probably never exist.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts