AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone could please point me in a general direction or specific models it would be greatly appreciated. Projectors are one area i'm not up to date with at all.

So, I need a budget (less than $500) projector for showing films in a classroom setting. More specifics are:

- Portability - as stated, this will need to be transported back and forth.

- Movies will be primarily classic italian films, everything from really old B&W and low quality to more modern movies of higher quality.

- Typically movies will be either played from a MacBook using the minidisplay port > DVI, VGA, or HDMI depending on the projector. A DVD player could be a possible connection method as well.

- Will be used with a portable screen and will need to project probably 50" or larger (still need to buy a screen)

- I don't think audio is important because i'll probably just output sound to external amplified speakers via the MacBook or DVD player.

Thanks for any help and suggestions

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
This is the list I would be looking at...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...)&wr=&db=&is=0&dvi=13&sp=&pjh=&pjl=&pjw=&tt=0

All have the connectivity you need, and all have enough brightness for a typical classroom situation on a 80"-100" screen with some lights on.

While LCD models with no color wheel are a bit better, they are very limited at this price point. Still, you may want to look at the LCD models that were on that list...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...&pjw=&pjh=&td=&is=&i=d&tr=&oop=1&sort=$&sz=15

These are all very similarly featured, but one has actually been reviewed...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-EX6220.htm

Frankly, that's where I would lean towards as it delivers real world lumens which exceed most at 3,000+ measured lumens and should be able to deliver good color with over 1,500 lumens of output. The use of LCD means that anyone in class who may be rainbow effect (RBE) sensitive won't be bothered by a DLP with a spinning color wheel. It also eliminates a point of failure in the projector.

Understand, that this list is pretty much the bottom of the line overall. These aren't what I would ever recommend for home theater. But, for occasional classroom use, with movies, data, and other presentations, it fits the bill nicely. A few bucks over budget, but realistically, your budget starts with projectors at $400 and so, it's not way off the least you would likely end up spending.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AV_Integrated! I'll take a good look at that list.
One thing I realize from my post I should add or edit is that the classroom is an evening class, so any lights will be low or off allowing it to be somewhat dark in the room. Therefore brightness of the projector is not crucial.

What about ultra portable models like 'pico' projectors? Are they just crap?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great info "AV Integrated " thanks......

In the search of the absolute bargain/quality for home cinema,the only option are 720p data proyectors....but these
are awesome until 92 inch i d say.....

infocus in116a
optoma w311
Benq mw523-526

what about led Lg pb62 versus the others ? some call it rubbish

The problem with the Benq mw523-526....does not allow you
to calibrate color through HDMI just VGA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts