AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a little bit of research for a cheap (around $300) amp to power some 4 ohm towers. They are going in a small bedroom and I won't be blasting them anywhere close to reference level volumes. I've narrowed down to a couple. Note: that I 'am' running this with a television setup so a remote or some extra integrated features would be nice as well.

Emotiva Fusion Flex: https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/fusion-flex
Yamaha RS500: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...a-r-s500-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Anyone have any opinions on either?

What about other recommendations?

Right now, I have a Yamaha RX-V375 receiver powering them, and to be honest, it sounds fine - am I gaining anything by going with the aforementioned options or should I just save my money?

·
Registered
15,511 Posts
I would only use an amp that is rated for a 4 ohm load (many 4 ohm speakers dip even lower than that). The Emotiva is. The Yamaha does not seem to be (although I may have missed it in the specs). Your current AVR does not seem to be either. Thus, I would go with the Emotiva.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If it sounds fine, no need to spend the money. If your AVR dies, then you can buy an amp.

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would only use an amp that is rated for a 4 ohm load (many 4 ohm speakers dip even lower than that). The Emotiva is. The Yamaha does not seem to be (although I may have missed it in the specs). Your current AVR does not seem to be either. Thus, I would go with the Emotiva.
Under the "specs" tab, it gives max output for a 4 ohm load as 160 W: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v375_black_u/

I know we should take manufacturer claims with a grain of salt - but does this make it OK to drive 4 ohm speakers safely?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are happy now with the sound levels you require without shutting down (protection mode) you are fine. Don't overthink it.
Thanks for the reassurance. As is the case with most of us in this hobby, the upgrade bug always makes its way back to us eventually, and although I am happy with the sound at the volumes I listen to, I always wonder if I'm missing out on noticeable performance gains by not upgrading.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. As is the case with most of us in this hobby, the upgrade bug always makes its way back to us eventually, and although I am happy with the sound at the volumes I listen to, I always wonder if I'm missing out on noticeable performance gains by not upgrading.
If your AVR drives your speakers at the levels you like to listen to without clipping, the answer is no--you are not missing out on any performance gains. At all.

·
Registered
15,511 Posts
Under the "specs" tab, it gives max output for a 4 ohm load as 160 W: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v375_black_u/

I know we should take manufacturer claims with a grain of salt - but does this make it OK to drive 4 ohm speakers safely?
Yes, it looks OK to drive a 4 ohm load. If it sounds fine, and if it doesn't get very hot with your speakers, then you should be fine with your current AVR. As others have said, you're not going to get better sound by switching to either of those amps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I purchased the emotiva fusion flex was purchased to add a bit of oomph to my tv sound with some quite good audience clairaudient 1+1 v2 speakers with an efficiency rating of 87db,
Much to my suprise, the 50 watt amp would not drive the speakers louder than my wimpy Panasonic 50"
Plasma tv and it wasn't close. I cannot believe that I purchased audiophile desktop speakers and a separate amp
wtih remote control and my tv wins in volume and impact, Now I have to do something else.
Is anyone else disappointed with the performance of the emotiva fusion flex, I know that the manufacturers use a cheap chinese amp to drive their own speakers, what a disgrace.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I purchased the emotiva fusion flex was purchased to add a bit of oomph to my tv sound with some quite good audience clairaudient 1+1 v2 speakers with an efficiency rating of 87db,
Much to my suprise, the 50 watt amp would not drive the speakers louder than my wimpy Panasonic 50"
Plasma tv and it wasn't close. I cannot believe that I purchased audiophile desktop speakers and a separate amp
wtih remote control and my tv wins in volume and impact, Now I have to do something else.
Is anyone else disappointed with the performance of the emotiva fusion flex, I know that the manufacturers use a cheap chinese amp to drive their own speakers, what a disgrace.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You're driving $2000 speakers (seriously?) with a $149 amp and you are disappointed? Can't imagine. I doubt it's the amp, I think Bose would be a better deal than the speakers you have, at that price, in my honest opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts