AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am really confused and tried searching here to see if I could find my answer but now I am more lost. I want to watch the superbowl in HD with my projector without buying Comcast HDTV subscription or Direct TV etc. I am happy with the local stations. Last year I borrowed a stand alone HD tuner and it worked great. I would like to get one for special events like this.

What is the cheapest route to watch the super bowl with an OTA tuner? I am willing to use ebay and get used. I would like it to output to composite and have optical audio out but willing to use 2 rca out for sound.

Please help!!!!

Thanks

John

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalicki10 /forum/post/0

Hi,

I am really confused and tried searching here to see if I could find my answer but now I am more lost. I want to watch the superbowl in HD with my projector without buying Comcast HDTV subscription or Direct TV etc. I am happy with the local stations. Last year I borrowed a stand alone HD tuner and it worked great. I would like to get one for special events like this.

What is the cheapest route to watch the super bowl with an OTA tuner? I am willing to use ebay and get used. I would like it to output to composite and have optical audio out but willing to use 2 rca out for sound.

Please help!!!!

Thanks

John

I just bought the new Samsung DTB-H260F from best buy for $179. I know it's not exactly cheap but I think I saved $70 in other parts needed because I only needed a cheap set of amplified rabbit ears ($28 new )to get all my available channels in HD. According to the antennaweb I'm 37.5 miles from the local HD towers and it said I should need a Long Range antenna to get most of them. It said I would only pick up 1 channel with a short range indoor antenna. Wow they were wrong. I also had the antenna sitting on the floor of a 2nd story closet and had to receive the singal through 2 walls and roof shingles.

My recomendation is to get a 5th generation OTA box and start with the cheapest, simplest antenna and then work your way up.

Also you said you only needed composite out but wanted to watch the game in HD. Composite doesn't carry the HD signal. You will need HD component, DVI or HDMI in to watch HD.

Mike

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalicki10 /forum/post/0

Hi,

What is the cheapest route to watch the super bowl with an OTA tuner? Please help!!!!

Thanks

John

Hey!.........It's the Superbowl!

Splurge!

You may have to look around a bit, but the Samsung STB is supposed to be available. Problem is, some stores won't carry it if it doesn't come with a monthly subscription.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblrds /forum/post/0

True, he'll need to use component. Depending upon his projector he may be able to use an adaptor. My DV10 came with a D-Hub to RCA Adaptor and it works great.

One thing about the Samsung 260 that is stupid is that the On Screen Display info is only sent through the HD outputs. This makes it nearly impossible to use/setup without it.

If you live in a large metro area, you probably can find one at a best buy or circuit city. Let them find one for you.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan /forum/post/0

One thing about the Samsung 260 that is stupid is that the On Screen Display info is only sent through the HD outputs. This makes it nearly impossible to use/setup without it.

If his intended purpose is to hook it up to his projector and he's able to use an adaptor it shouldn't be an issue.

My Sammy h260f is connected to my television via the s-cable leaving the components free to use with the DV10.

Granted, to use/see the menu on the television the green component connected to the white composite does the job. Having extra hookups on the front of the television, for game consoles or video cameras, helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.