AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan to purchase a pair of infinity p163 speakers. they are like the 162 but in a black color instead of silver. they have a sensitivity of 90db at 2.83V so it is pretty efficient. i am looking for a cheap amp to power the pair to maybe 70 db or 80db at max. any recommendations? my price range is 100 dollars but i would like cut back to spending too much. i saw some t-amps for low prices but their reliability seems questionable. I already have an onkyo sr508 bu that will be staying home as it gets hot and is huge and not very space efficient.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Dayton and Parts Express(maybe even your local radio shack) will have numerous "T amps" in the 5-15 watt range. Your speakers won't even need 1 watt(if sitting at your desk...and the speakers are on the desk) to reach that volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-...3904941&sr=8-1 (never heard of this one...not recommending...just an example, but the brethren on Amazon do seem to like it)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did some research and the dayton t amps have problems with the bass frequencies being produced as nicely as the mids and highs. the mids and highs look nice but the bass appears to be lacking. i think i will go with the audiosource AMP100 i found on amazon. looks decent and should be fine. oh well. guess you get what you pay for. i wish the tweak city Gizmo was still sold. i was looking to cut back on amp expenses after spending almost 200 on the speakers.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Well, for $75 you'll have an amp you can keep well after college is over. That part you can feel good about "tripling" your budget.

You might wait till Monday. EE is known(at least for Denon) to offer a better price with a phone call...(although at $85 shipped...how much room do they have???)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/20848918

I know your on a budget and this is just a little over budget by just a few dollars. The Dayton APA150. I have one of these and it's a great little amplifier. It's a good performer and it's also small. Not as small as a T-amp but it's little.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...pa%20150%20amp

yes, a few bucks over budget. but i know it is a good amp. it is duplicate of an amp that emotiva makes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ordered the p162 instead from crutchfield. it was 150/pr and free shipping n stuff. the black p163 is the exact same as the 162 just black and well, like 20 bucks more... and i like silver more so WIN. estimated arrival date is in 2 days which is AMAZING. or was that ship date. i forgot. and i've decided to save some cash and just take my receiver with me to my dorm/ figure i am smart enough to find a place to stash it creatively.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Spratley /forum/post/20854901

I would go with the DTA-100a , I keep reading reviews where it's bass extension is praised. That tk2050 chip is quite a bit beefier than the standard t-amps.

You might even try the Lepai TA2020 , it has tone controls which are handy, and the price is unbeatable.

i ordered the p162 the previous model from infinity as opposed to the p163. the only difference is color. the 163 is black, the one i got silver. i paid 20 bucks less and got free 2 day shipping from crutchfield. coming in tomorrow.i have also decided to haul my bic f12 sub and my sr508 receiver to my dorm so i no longer need an amp.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 /forum/post/20860424

i ordered the p162 the previous model from infinity as opposed to the p163. the only difference is color. the 163 is black, the one i got silver. i paid 20 bucks less and got free 2 day shipping from crutchfield. coming in tomorrow.i have also decided to haul my bic f12 sub and my sr508 receiver to my dorm so i no longer need an amp.

Good choice - save the money for your next serious upgrade instead...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20860500

Good choice - save the money for your next serious upgrade instead...

yeah, i by some crazy amount of luck happened upon that deal. i was researching reviews on the p162 because it was more reviewed than the 163 but sounded the same and i hopped onto crutchfield's link on google and happened to see that they had an awesome deal for the 162. i didn't even know anyone sold it still. so i jumped on the deal. should be at my doorstep before ups is done with their work tomorrow.
can't wait to listen to speakers that i have heard so many good things about. I hope the sound significantly better than my Pioneer FS-51. (they better. cuz i can't take my fs-51 to my dorm for space reasons.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I got pair of speakers in. I realized I don't even need a subwoofer. These are that good. I listen to some lossless quality coldplay and I was able to hear the guitar pick strum over the strings and everything just seems more crisp and clear.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm glad your happy with the way your new speakers sound. From the specs I found on them they can play down to 49hz. They can produce some bass but a subwoofer will always complete the soundstage with a pair of bookshelf speakers. A properly integrated subwoofer will even produce bass better than most large speakers can. It just depends on how picky you are about things and how much you want to spend. For background music a pair of bookshelf speakers can sound just fine. It's up to you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/20862778

I'm glad your happy with the way your new speakers sound. From the specs I found on them they can play down to 49hz. They can produce some bass but a subwoofer will always complete the soundstage with a pair of bookshelf speakers. A properly integrated subwoofer will even produce bass better than most large speakers can. It just depends on how picky you are about things and how much you want to spend. For background music a pair of bookshelf speakers can sound just fine. It's up to you.

I already have a BIC f12 but i doubt that will fit in a dorm room setup and I try to not be OCD about everything as far as audio as i am already living in a space the size of a closet and space is already at a premium. afew hrs in, i see some songs on which the bass is lower than what the speakers can play but it is mostly bass heavy stuff like drum and bass so that was to be expected. for bass critical things, i have a pair of hd280 pro headphones which go very low so i'm not too worried. worst case if i do find space, drag a 40lb sub to my dorm room. not a big deal cuz i live in the same town as my college.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.