AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30+ years, my faithful Advent receiver's tuner section is dying. I use it as a preamp for background and party quality music. Is there a cheap preamp/tuner...or receiver with preamp out that you recomend.

I'm definetely NOT looking for high end here, just basic good quality and cheap. Used is fine, but I've been into high end HT so long now, I don't even know what's out there in this range.

I figure its cheaper to replace than fix.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In your world, what do you define as being "cheap?"

Also, how demanding are you on tuner performance? One can buy $250-$300 receivers that have preamp outs and can handle preamp & tuner duties, but most of them have very poor tuner sections that only work well with local stations.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to get local stations cleanly with an indoor antenna. We have many good strength locals, which I used to get well. This will be enough.

Bear in mind, it only has to do as well as a 30 yr old analog receiver with about 15 watts of amp power (which I never use).

Back in its day, it was considered a "bargain high end preamp" by many dtereophile mags...so it has to be a preamp, but all it feeds to is a 4 channel Soundcraftsman PA amp powering a series of Polk 10's (that used to make up my home theater)...split by a Niles impedence matching distributor.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have a Sony A/V Reciever I was going to put on Ebay. I'm not sure if the tuner reception is all that great (I suppose its on par with most lower end recievers).

I'll look up the model when I get home ... but anyway, its a 100W by 4 (50W to the two surrounds, mono) Prologic Reciever.

It does have 5.1 inputs though (in case you want to use a DVD player that has a DD or DTS decoder, etc.).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raistlin,

Let me know, although this would be only for the above uses.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yamaha RX-V1's are going cheap. It is replaced by the RX-Z1 but seems to have great specs. The preamp has tons of inputs/outputs. It is selling for about 1/4 the price of the new model. It also has pre outs/main in's if you need a few additional amps.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I guess I would shop around eBay and audiogon for used receivers. A number of them have preamp outs. I own a 5-yr old Denon AVR-2400 that would do the job, so that's one model you could look for. I know a lot of older Yamaha's and HK's have preamp outs.

You can buy a "new" factory-refurbished Harman Kardon AVR-3370 for just $147. It has stereo preamp outputs. Not a bad receiver either. Or move up to the 3470 for just $188 re-furb. Full factory warranties. Available from the H-K on-line store at:
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...?sp=S&brand=HK

Tom B.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottwood2
It also has pre outs/main in's if you need a few additional amps.
main in's only for the L R front channels

cheers

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Jeff:

You have a PM.

- Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.