AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decided what to do for a month now, and I give up...I need some advice. First things first is I know I want a lower cost screen. I purchased a Epson 1080 ub projector, and it took long enough to make that choice. I'm moving to my new apt. in August, where I'll have a 13x11 basement w/ 8 ft ceiling. The room is going to be cramped, but thats just how it has to be. I'll also have to get a pull down or motorized screen because there will also be a 58" plasma in the same room. The screen will come down right in front of the plasma. With everything calculated out it seems that I'll have a throw distance of 11.09 ft...if I get everything perfect! I've pretty much decided on a 106" screen, although I know I can push it a little further (110", maybe a little more). I've been searching on ebay, and I've found some doable prices, but every shop I ask about tell me to stay away from them. I'm guessing because they want my business more than anything. I'm just hoping someone could point me in the direction of something cheap, and would be considered better than a bed sheet. Using a bed sheet now and the colors are washed out because to much light goes through it. I saw an add from this blackout material on the avs homepage, but seeing I need this in a pull down form I don't think I could build my own pull down device. If someone could please help me out I would greatly appreciated it!

Here is something that I found...it's 110" and it's a 1.3 gain...Would this be a bad choice?
http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Flexi...69a-106-wh.htm

Or we have this lovely 106" thats a 1.1 gain(I love the 1080p ready thats placed on the screen)

Ok, so you can't post links to ebay...so the item number is 280240723056 if you have time to look...

then the 120" with 1.3 gain...

So now I'm confused on quality of these screens and as to what gain I really need. With a 1.0 gain I'll have 22 fL which is really bright...and with those 1.3 gains I might get blinded. However, I really do like a bright/high contrast screen when playing games. If you can't tell I'm too the point where I'll take any advice! I just want to make the decidsion and get on it...I just can't make the decision without some guidance.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
First off, electrics will always cost more. So if you are looking for cheap, I'd skip them. From my experience, the best manual screens, that STILL work well and are made well....are the Dalite Model B's.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
With an 11' throw, you have room for at most two rows of seating, more likely one, and you'll be really close to a large 106" diagonal screen. You'll have at least two seats pretty far off-axis, one at each end of each seating row. In fact, your second row of seating will probably be against the back wall and under the projector.

Under those circumstances, and given the fact that your theater is in a basement room with total light control, I would opt for a matte white screen with a gain of 1.0 to 1.1. This will provide good bright images for even the off-axis seating, and preserve the black level performance the Epson is noted for.

The problem with any high gain screen fabric is the higher the gain, the more narrow the viewing angle. With DaLite High Power fabric, for example the viewing angle is only 30 degrees or up to 15 degrees off centerline - but gain is 2.8. I beleive you do not have the room size to use High Gain fabric, with an 132" wide room and a 92" wide screen.

My reccomendation would be a manual DaLite Model B with CSR in 16:9 (HDTV) aspect ratio, mounted from two ceiling hooks with light chain. For a screen fabric, you need to choose between Matte White (gain 1.0) and High Contrast Matte White (gain 1.1). To choose the fabric I would do a floorplan of the room and make sure all seats in each row could fit within a 50-degree angle from center screen. If so, I would choose the High Contrast Matte White fabric. If any seating was outside or at the 50 degree viewing angle (in other words, more than 25 degrees off the screen centerline) I would choose the Matte White fabric.

Dalite Model B with CSR in Matte White fabric and 106" diagonal is DaLite Product 85324. The same screen with High Contrast Matte White fabric would be DaLite Product 92844.

The secret to keeping a manual screen clean and free from ripples is to roll it up after each use. That is why I reccomend that you pay for one step up from the lowest cost DaLite model and get the CSR (Controlled Screen Return). Just give a yank and it will slowly roll itself into the case without damage.

I use a DaLite Model B with CSR in 4:3 and 96" diagonal size and HC MW fabric. I'm happy with it.

Expect web pricing of about $260 for Matte White and another $30 for upgrade to High Contrast Matte White. Plus shipping and insurance. There are cheaper screens, but you have a good projector, get a good screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts