AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am in the process of making my first "real" home theater setup and I planned to start from scratch. Recently, I came upon a deal that was just too good to pass up. A local store was going out of business and selling whatever they had laying around. I managed to get a new Fathom f113 for $800, so I figured that would be a good starting point. I'm just worried that now I will have a sub that is too good for the rest of my setup.

Had I found out about that liquidation sale earlier, I could have picked up a set of Def Tech Mythos ST towers for $1400 (for the pair!). I did manage to hear a set of them and was impressed. I don't know if that would be a good match with the sub, though.

Anyhow, I will need every component for the audio part of the system. I'm selling my house and leaving my budget set with it. So all I will have is the Fathom and a Samsung LN52A850 tee-vee. It will be used for movies, of course, but I love to escape to music every now and then and would prefer a system built more towards music listening. I'd rather not wall mount anything, either.

I'm looking to spend a few grand to build a system I won't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon, but one that I can add to down the road. Also, I move a lot, like every two years (military) and am actually heading to Japan next month (for at least two years). Seeing as how stuff like this is ridiculously expensive there and the Yen is stomping the dollar's butt right now, I'd like to buy stuff soon and have it packed out for the move. I found a Best Buy Magnolia store that I'm going to check out this weekend and I certainly hope they have a better audio selection than the regular stores.

So, what would I need? I guess I fall into the "informed newb" category and can use some guidance. Can I get by with just a receiver and speakers for a while? Heck, I don't even know what kind of cable to use with the sub. Help!

Thanks,

-Lost in Oxford

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
for $800??? i hate you lol.

Well i would say this sub mixes pretty nicely with just about anything...

So go audition a bunch of speakers and whatever you like bring them home, calibrate it all, and BAM...magic

I listened to a setup not to long ago with dual JL F113's and some Salk HT3's that was absolutely killer for music.

By like i said, go out and audition. Then take home whatever sounds best within your price range

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might have to buy on good faith or recommendations alone and I will not be able to set up and calibrate my system until after the move to Japan, which means I'll be "stuck" with whatever I get.

Oh, and I'm still cheesing (
) over that steal I got on the Fathom, and it didn't even "fall off a truck."

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Salks are a good suggestion. I'd look at Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1s too as Ascend gives a military discount.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll give that Jim Salk fellow a call tomorrow. He seems like a good guy to do business with and everyone is raving about his speakers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone think the Sony DA3400ES would be a good match to the Fathom and Salk Song towers? Anyone think otherwise?

I'm half-tempted to get the Sony just for the fact that my friend absolutely hates Sony for some strange reason.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just called up Salk Sound and the owner Jim answered the phone. How cool is that? I went ahead and ordered the Song towers and the center channel.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll /forum/post/15570100

Anyone think the Sony DA3400ES would be a good match to the Fathom and Salk Song towers? Anyone think otherwise?

I'm half-tempted to get the Sony just for the fact that my friend absolutely hates Sony for some strange reason.

That's not a very good reason to buy a receiver.
Sony receivers typically measure less than their rated power, especially when all the channels are driven:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

Whether you believe the all-channels-driven spec's are important, this kind of performance is not typical of many other receivers.

The Sony receiver you mention is rated at 100 wpc and it is rated to drive 8-ohm speakers. Personally, for those speakers, (with their relatively low sensitivity, (88 dB/1watt/1meter), and low impedance, (4-ohms nominal), I would look for a receiver with a stronger power amp section and the ability to drive 4-ohms. Those SongTowers deserve better.

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked Jim while we were on the phone to recommend a good receiver to go with these towers, being sure to mention that they would be matched up with the Fathom (which he said is a damn fine sub). I was prepared to cringe as I expected something extremely expensive. To my surprise, he told me to get a Panasonic XR57 (found one on eBay for $199!). Jim said he is using the same receiver in his house with the Song towers. Whatever I get, he said the speakers like at least 100w.

Any recommendations under $700? I'd like the regular new goodies like HDMI1.3a, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles /forum/post/15571778

$800 ?

Scan the invoice and post a pic!

If so call them back up I'll take 50.

Ha, I nabbed the last one! The store was pretty much barren by the time I got there. The only thing they had left were some TV stands and some in-wall speakers and stuff lying around.

I just went to get a TV stand (got one of the $800 floor models for $100!) and walked around to see what they had left. In one of the rooms, I spotted this box with the magic word "FATHOM" on the side with a bunch of stuff piled around and on top of it. I thought it was just full of cables and miscellaneous items, but I asked the guy anyway. Turns out the box was full of awesome. I asked him how much, we goes "we had that listed for $3400. Now, I'll take $850." I kept a good poker face and offered $900 for the Fathom and the TV stand. He accepted. The stuff barely fit in my Volvo wagon.

As for invoice, all I have is just a faded credit card receipt for the full amount. You'll just have to take my e-word for it

Ready for the move:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some more advice and a lot of reading, I think I've decided to wait for the Emotiva UMC-1 A/V processor, which should hopefully be out in a month or so, paired up with the Emotiva UPA-7 seven channel amp. I'm completely busting the $700 budget, but figure since I spent this much already, why cheap out now.

If anyone sees this equipment not being a good match for the Salks, please say something. I'm still new to this.

UMC-1 is halfway down the page. So versatile:
http://emotiva.com/news.shtm

Found some pics of the on-screen display, if you're interested.

UPA-7:
http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll /forum/post/15583770

After some more advice and a lot of reading, I think I've decided to wait for the Emotiva UMC-1 A/V processor, which should hopefully be out in a month or so, paired up with the Emotiva UPA-7 seven channel amp. I'm completely busting the $700 budget, but figure since I spent this much already, why cheap out now.

If anyone sees this equipment not being a good match for the Salks, please say something. I'm still new to this.

UMC-1 is halfway down the page. So versatile:
http://emotiva.com/news.shtm

Found some pics of the on-screen display, if you're interested.

UPA-7:
http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

Definitely a *much* better choice than the Sony receiver.

Craig

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Continuing to do my part to stimulate the economy, I just ordered the Emotiva UPA-7 amp; all 71 pounds of it. According to the nice lady on the phone, the UMC-1 is in its final testing and certification stages now and should be out around the beginning of March. I'm going to wait for that.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll /forum/post/15566274

I think I'll give that Jim Salk fellow a call tomorrow. He seems like a good guy to do business with and everyone is raving about his speakers.

He certainly is. The SongTower QWT's are the best speaker I've heard under $3500. But my SongTower RT's (ribbon tweeter) are probably the best I've heard under $5000 (because I haven't heard Salk's HT3's yet
).

Also, I just wanted to say that we owe you a debt of gratitude for serving our country. Two of my cousins are heading to Iraq after their training in FL and Texas (prison duty or something like that). The eldest is serving his second tour. You are all heroes!

I hope you find something that will pair well with that killer subwoofer. My best wishes to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/15584051

Definitely a *much* better choice than the Sony receiver.

Craig

Agreed.

Denroll, in my opinion you made some great choices there man. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, all. Just a quick bump for some silly questions about cables. I'm pretty set on the video side, as in I pretty much know what I'm doing. I'll have a PS3 running HDMI and an XBOX 360 with the component cables. I'll be running an optical cable for the sound of the 360 (S/PDIF?) instead of the rinky-dink red and white RCA cables.

Now, from the Emotiva UMC-1 to the UPA-7 amp, what cables should I be running as I am completely clueless? I'm sure it is 1 cable per channel. The signal will have been converted to analog coming out of the processor, correct?

How about the Fathom? Since it is self-powered, will it plug straight in to the processor or some from the amp? What cable will this require?

And for the speaker, is it helpful to have any type of connector on the ends of the cable or can I just wrap the exposed ends around the posts at the amp and the speakers? I will be using a minimum thickness of 16 gauge and will probably have 10-15' of cable from the amp to each tower. I've never set up any serious audio components before; only video.

I'll probably be ordering cable from blue jeans cable or something so I can get it in custom lengths, connectors, and colors. Totally open to suggestions, though.

My stuff is getting packed out for Japan on the 13th, so I'd like to have it by then. Thanks in advance.

-Dennis

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denroll /forum/post/15720579

Now, from the Emotiva UMC-1 to the UPA-7 amp, what cables should I be running as I am completely clueless? I'm sure it is 1 cable per channel. The signal will have been converted to analog coming out of the processor, correct?

Yep, you will need 1 cable with male rca connectors for each channel.

Quote:
How about the Fathom? Since it is self-powered, will it plug straight in to the processor or some from the amp? What cable will this require?

It will plug straight into the pre/pro with the same kind of cable as the ones that go between the pre/pro and amp.

Quote:
And for the speaker, is it helpful to have any type of connector on the ends of the cable or can I just wrap the exposed ends around the posts at the amp and the speakers? I will be using a minimum thickness of 16 gauge and will probably have 10-15' of cable from the amp to each tower. I've never set up any serious audio components before; only video.

I like locking banana plugs. Others like spades. It is personal preference. You can just use bare speaker wire as well. For bare speaker wire you will see a hole through the binding post when they are unscrewed. Stick the exposed cable through the hole then screw the binding post back down. If it was me I would probably bump up to 14 or 12 gauge just to be on the safe side, which is probably not necessary, but would give me good peace of mind. ... Actually I just checked and BJC doesn't even sell 16AWG so it will have to be 10 or 12.

Quote:
I'll probably be ordering cable from blue jeans cable or something so I can get it in custom lengths, connectors, and colors. Totally open to suggestions, though.

BJC is excellent. They have a lot of good information on their site as well about different cable/connector types.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts