AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, I have a Pioneer KX-300 Stereo Receiver connected with my Laptop via RCA-Cable. Any recommendation on a good amplifier for my setup? Thanx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

hi,

it works fine. if i add another seperate amplifier, may it boost performance? im using its original speakers. doesnt have pre-outs. (so an additional amps is out of question?)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifraweb  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24485072

hi,

it works fine. if i add another seperate amplifier, may it boost performance? im using its original speakers. doesnt have pre-outs. (so an additional amps is out of question?)

Yes and it's fine. 20 watts from one amplifier is about like 20 watts from another one. What you have will work just as well.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24485159

Yes and it's fine. 20 watts from one amplifier is about like 20 watts from another one. What you have will work just as well.

Not if that amplifier is clipping at 20 watts.

Anyway I'd look into a digital audio connection from your laptop, sound quality will be limited to the headphone output. I'd get a USB DAC. And perhaps some speaker stands about 2' high.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24485165

Not if that amplifier is clipping at 20 watts.

Anyway I'd look into a digital audio connection from your laptop, sound quality will be limited to the headphone output. I'd get a USB DAC. And perhaps some speaker stands about 2' high.

So you have some evidence that it clips at 20 watts?. If he makes a digital connection he won't be limited to anything. He will have to use an external DAC, however. I suspect he has the computer interfaced with the receiver already. His question was about amplification not interface.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifraweb  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24485072

hi,

Without pre-outs you can't add an amplifier. If you are enjoying the sound levels you can attain with your current receiver I don't think you'd gain any "performance" with another receiver/amp. More likely you'd gain more performance by changing speakers, adding a subwoofer, or putting your speakers in a better position (starting with placing them at ear height for your listening position and probably a bit further apart).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for all your comments, suggestions. It came in helpful! Will leave amplitude as is, position speakers better.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24486207

So you have some evidence that it clips at 20 watts?. If he makes a digital connection he won't be limited to anything. He will have to use an external DAC, however. I suspect he has the computer interfaced with the receiver already. His question was about amplification not interface.

It's quite obvious that KX300 is prior to optical/coaxial inputs, so he's using analogue inputs, and therefore the crappy soundcard from a laptop (headphone out)

Get a USB DAC

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Dang, just searched Pioneeer KX 300 and come up with zilch. OP can you check the model number again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24487063

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24486207

It's quite obvious that KX300 is prior to optical/coaxial inputs, so he's using analogue inputs, and therefore the crappy soundcard from a laptop (headphone out)

Get a USB DAC

Could be...I assumed and perhaps incorrectly that he used a reasonable source for an input to a receiver so its pretty specific to his computer setup. He may still have a capable setup without assuming that the connection method is the most important factor....if the computer has a reasonable DAC it may make no difference, but if it has a poor DAC then maybe he needs additional gear....although mostly the needs for outboard dacs is vastly overrated.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifraweb  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24488476

thanks, ill look into getting a usb-dac. any recommendations?

I went with an Emotiva DC-1 DAC since I have active speakers but a lot of folks have been recommending the Teac AH01 for passive speakers. The AH01 will give you 30w x 2 of amplification, two analog inputs for tape, phono, etc, and three digital inputs along with AirPlay support. All you'd have to do is run a USB cable from laptop/PC to this DAC and run speaker wire directly to your speakers. You can eliminate the old amplifier entirely and have a much smaller unit that has more power.

Link... $300 ... http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AH01-B-Amplifier-Digital-Converter/dp/B006I6FXDY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394961210&sr=1-5&keywords=Teac+AI-501da

My other 2-channel only USB DAC suggestion would actually be a combo.

Emotiva DC-1 USB DAC $500. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/stealth-dc-2

Emotiva mini-X a-100 2 channel amp $220. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

This is a small footprint setup that would take up very little space and would give you 50w x 2 ( 8 Ohm ) of Class AB power but at the expense of having separate units for DAC and power. The sound quality would be top-notch though, especially for 24bit/192KHz content.

$720 might be way above your budget though and maybe a vanilla AVR would be a good choice above the $500 mark. You can probably get a basic Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/Marantz/Onkyo 5.1 AVR for well under $400 that would do 2-channel nicely.

Reactions: lifraweb

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24487063

Get a USB DAC

What evidence do you have that his sound card is crappy?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
oh god LOL Laptop sound cards are crap, noisy, and using headphone out.

When I had my laptop onboard was terrible, I upgraded to a USB to optical box and much better as I could use my Lexicon instead. Or are you saying there is no difference between headphone out from a laptop to a Lexcion av pre-amp?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24488756

When I had my laptop onboard was terrible, I upgraded to a USB to optical box and much better as I could use my Lexicon instead. Or are you saying there is no difference between headphone out from a laptop to a Lexcion av pre-amp?

Apparently yours wasn't as good as mine.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24488756

Hmm, someone seems to live in a world where all laptop audio interfaces are the same, they are all crappy, and none of them hav improved since this guy bought his last laptop.

That said, I've had problems with laptop some onboard audio interfaces, but far from all of them. The circumvention for one of those not uncommon laptops with a noisy audio interface has indeed been an USB audio interface.

This one works well for both recording and playback:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522483/need-a-good-amplifier-for-pioneer-kx-300-receiver#post_24490045

yeah sure onboard soundcard on laptops equal those of dedicated audio gear....

what a joke.

Not all dedicated gear is the same and neither are all laptop interfaces.

For example any modern laptop with a full function HDMI output (pretty common) has 4 stereo digital audio outputs that are bit-perfect and run at high sample rates. Orthers have SP/DIF and/or optical.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts