AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a Channel Master model 3042 in line amplifier (13db) to the line in from my ouside antenna. I was trying to get Alabama PBS 41. It increased the signal strength on all channels by about 5%. Most signals are 90-92 now except [email protected] which is 75% and WEAR, which today is 70% on my 811 HD receiver. ALabama PBS comes in at 49%, but will not lock and get a picture. I might take the amp back, not really very much improvement. Should an amp improve the strength more than 5%. Does anyone know of a better amp.

All of the local towers are within 3 degrees of each other from my house. I have a big RS antenna about 25 foot up and no trees directly in front of the antenna. I am about 30 miles from the towers.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Try a true mast-mounted preamp like the CM 7777 series. I use a BlonderTongue Vaulter III plus but I'm 60 mi out and you probably don't need that much. I think the model you are currently using is more of a distrubution amp which is too noisy.

Charles

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between a preamp and and in amp.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Pre-amp mounts on the mast at the antenna to amplify a clean signal from the antenna.

In-line amps amplify the signal after it comes down the coax, so you have lost some signal from line loss, noise pick, etc., before it gets to your amp.

Having said that, I wouldn't think you would need a amplifier at all if you are only 30 miles from towers. Because a pre-amp is really meant to overcome line loss with a very long cable run from the antenna to the set. And a distribution amp is meant to boost a signal so that it can drive splitters and more cable and several sets. If the signal reaching your antenna is too weak to produce a picture with a short cable run to your receiver, any kind of amp probably won't do you much good. Of course, YMMV, and every situtation is somewhat different.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Neil is right about the difference in a preamp and dist. amplifier. My experience differs in the need for a preamp, however. With my preamp, I have excellent signal and no dropouts on 7 channels between about 40-60 miles away. Without it, I have zero watchable channels. I'm only running 125 feet of cable. I think it is likely that you would benefit from a good preamp. Lowes carries a decent one by CM which you could try and return if it doesn't work for you. I can't remember the number designation, but I think they only carry one mast-mount model.

Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.