AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a good demo DVD I can use to demo my setup to visitors :)

I'm using a 100" 4:3 screen and want somthing with DD 5.1 and DTS, 4:3 full screen and maybe even superbit.

I'm using a NEC HT1000 projector and a Pioneer DVD player.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, I've never seen this before, but I hear Eagles Hell Freezes Over looks great on a huge 4x3 screen. It's also in DTS.

I want this DVD.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ken, I've also heard that's a good dvd but i'm not really a big eagles fan, anything else come to mind?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
When I first started projecting with a 4:3 screen I always thought the IMAX movie "The Greatest Places" looked amazing. I haven't watched it in a very long time and my ability to judge PQ may be a bit more discerning now than it was so it would be helpful if someone else could second it, but my memory of it is very very good, and being IMAX it is a 4:3 presentation with a lot of great eye candy that looks natural on a big screen. If I get a chance I'll try to pull it out and give it a more recent opinion...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
try the grateful dead's view from the vault 4[it's their first dvd video in 5.1]

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If by chance you like Santana, you may want to take a look at his SuperNatural Live (An Evening with Carlos Santana And Friends) disc.

It has both DD & dts

We have found that most of this video to be very good.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
the only negative with the grateful dead disc btw is no DTS[it is fullscreen]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try this one:

IMAX - Super Speedway

...and don´t forget to fasten seat belts...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Most of the Pixar/Disney movies have 4:3 version. Some on the same disc or on a separate disc in the same package. Movies like Shrek and Ice Age do as well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you go with Super Speedway, make sure you get the original release (the 4:3 one). In the re-release they chopped top and bottom off to create a 16:9 anamorphic version. That would be worst of both worlds for 4:3 projection.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Singin in the Rain looks absolutely fab. 4:3 technicolor dreams.

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar
If you go with Super Speedway, make sure you get the original release (the 4:3 one). In the re-release they chopped top and bottom off to create a 16:9 anamorphic version. That would be worst of both worlds for 4:3 projection.
The DTS remaster contains both the 16:9 and 4:3 versions of the movie on the same disc. The earlier 4:3-only disc did not have a DTS track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Josh Z ... so is it!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
you can also try the knebworth dvd...decent fullscreen picture awesome DTS soundtrack[2 discs]

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't forget about Wizard of Oz...Monsters Inc.

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Sounds like it's time to move to the wonderful world of wide-screen! :) If you have a 4:3 digital projector you should consider an ISCO II lens and a 16x9 screen at some point.

Don't get a pan & scan version of a movie just because it'll fill up your 4:3 screen. There are a number of good films and TV shows that were originally shot for the 1.33:1 ratio without being modified unnecessarily.

Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.