AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Gigabit networked built at home and want to stream blue-ray rips to my WDTV live as well as backup etc and was looking for recommendations for any at or under $200?

thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm using an Xtreamer eTrayz that was around $120 plus the cost of storage. I have mine loaded with 2 HDs for a total of 4TBs. Works great with both my Xtreamer and my WDTV.

I know little to nothing about the technicalities of streaming. I only know that this solution was very easy to set up and connects seamlessly. You can read more about it here... www.xtreamer.net

·
Registered
9 Posts
i heard people say there were issues with the eTrayz such as unable to communicate with the Xstreamer via USB? Can you confirm?

btw to the OP, Synology and Qnap are slightly more expensive but are excellent reputable and reliable storage alternatives if you are willing to spend a few more bucks more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
eTRAYz cannot connect directly to the Xtreamer (via USB), only via network. That's not an "issue" since they never advertised that it would.

The eTRAYz is so good that if anyone wants to buy mine I wouldn't think twice about selling it, especially since it's gathering dust at the moment. While it may get better with firmware R&D down the road it's not a "plug 'n' play" device. I just don't have the time to tinker with it or learn Linux. Good bargain to some, a PITA to others.

·
UHD Addict
39,175 Posts
I got an INTEL NAS, the SS4200-e for $150 last year. And then I added four, 2TB drives in a RAID 5 config. Transfers rates exceed 700mbs.(I did double the memory which bumped up the speeds 10 to 20%, but even without the memory upgrade it has fast transfer rates)

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18283907

I got an INTEL NAS, the SS4200-e for $150 last year. And then I added four, 2TB drives in a RAID 5 config. Transfers rates exceed 700mbs.(I did double the memory which bumped up the speeds 10 to 20%, but even without the memory upgrade it has fast transfer rates)

another vote for ss4200-e

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18283907

Thanks for the replys so far everyone.

I was just looking at this unit and was kind of confused....

did they add support for larger than 500gb drives? from what im reading it would only support up to 4 x 500gb drives.

whoops nvm my comment was looking at the wrong model

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNLA /forum/post/18285078

BTW newegg.com is going to have a special Shell Shocker daily sale deal on the INTEL NAS, the SS4200-e from 7am pacific to 1pm pacific time, Tomorrow March 11th

I subscribe to the newsletter and plan on getting one tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...the%20SS4200-e

yeah, i get those as well but am not always able to decipher what the upcoming deal is going to be :p Of course I wonder how much it will be on newegg as well because there are sellers on amazon right now for $169

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will let you know tomorrow. NewEgg's newsletter comes out Monday and highlights the specials of the week. I tag my outlook to alert me when one comes up I'm interested in.

I've bought a ton from them, I trust their service and quality completely. Unlike some scam outfits like ecost..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNLA /forum/post/18287024

I will let you know tomorrow. NewEgg's newsletter comes out Monday and highlights the specials of the week. I tag my outlook to alter me when one comes up I'm interested in.

I've bought a ton from them, I trust their service and quality completely. Unlike some scam outfits like ecost..

I must have deleted mine already so thanks for letting me know. But yeah I have pretty much exclusively purchased almost all my electronics from Newegg for years. Although I feel guilty about giving Amazon more business these days but the shipping membership deal over there has been great. I wish Newegg had a shipping membership like they do.

·
Registered
483 Posts
eCost has a refurb 2 bay Linksys NAS on sale for under $70.

·
UHD Addict
39,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy8686 /forum/post/18284547

Thanks for the replys so far everyone.

I was just looking at this unit and was kind of confused....

did they add support for larger than 500gb drives? from what im reading it would only support up to 4 x 500gb drives.

whoops nvm my comment was looking at the wrong model

That support list is old. I've used 1TB, 1.5TB, and 2TB drives with it with. All the drives I tried with it were WD Green drives. Although I recently took out the four 2TB drives and added them to my WHS(and put in four old 1TB drives). I'll be over 40TB in my WHS next week and my WHS is where most of my content is stored. I'm using the INTEL for over 1TB of music and some documents and using my WHS mainly for video since I need space for storage of over 750 BD and HD DVD ISOs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/18291129

That support list is old. I've used 1TB, 1.5TB, and 2TB drives with it with. All the drives I tried with it were WD Green drives. Although I recently took out the four 2TB drives and added them to my WHS(and put in four old 1TB drives). I'll be over 40TB in my WHS next week and my WHS is where most of my content is stored. I'm using the INTEL for over 1TB of music and some documents and using my WHS mainly for video since I need space for storage of over 750 BD and HD DVD ISOs.

Were you using FreeNas with this or did it come preinstalled with anything?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNLA /forum/post/18285078

BTW newegg.com is going to have a special Shell Shocker daily sale deal on the INTEL NAS, the SS4200-e from 7am pacific to 1pm pacific time, Tomorrow March 11th

I subscribe to the newsletter and plan on getting one tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...the%20SS4200-e

Its not today's shell shocker =(

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy8686 /forum/post/18286968

yeah, i get those as well but am not always able to decipher what the upcoming deal is going to be :p Of course I wonder how much it will be on newegg as well because there are sellers on amazon right now for $169

what do you have to do to see the deal.Its $199 still when I check

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/18292144

what do you have to do to see the deal.Its $199 still when I check

Yea.. I made a boo boo slightly

It will show up after 1pm pacific time. I was incorrect in my original post.

goto newegg.com and click "Shell Shocker" after that time. It should be $149 including shipping.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been using a synology NAS box since 2008 and have nothing but super things to say about them.

their boxes just work and they are constantly updating their firmware and GUI to add new relevant functionality.

spend the extra $$$ and get it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts