AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive decided to get the Paradigm Se1 setup.

Now, im looking for a good sub. The SE1's have nothing down low, so i need a good sub to fill it out. The sub will be used for about 30% music and 70% HT.

I need a sub thats good for music, that also has enough output for HT. I do not need insane output.

These are what ive been thinking about so far:

- Rythmik F15

- Epik Empire

- SVS PC-12 Plus

What are some other suggestions??

Thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18288737

Ok so ive decided to get the Paradigm Se1 setup.

Now, im looking for a good sub. The SE1's have nothing down low, so i need a good sub to fill it out. The sub will be used for about 30% music and 70% HT.

I need a sub thats good for music, that also has enough output for HT. I do not need insane output.

These are what ive been thinking about so far:

- Rythmik F15

- Epik Empire

- SVS PC-12 Plus

What are some other suggestions??

Thanks

Those are all potent choices, however we'll need to know about how many cubic feet of space you're needing to fill with bass? Describe the listening area. Also, do you have any size preferences for the sub and/or placement restrictions? What is your budget?

Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
As has already been said, room size and budget are necessary. Based on what you have posted, as potential choices, you should also check out the HSU ULS-15.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18289026

sorry about that. Room is about 1900^3.

Budget is

Music is the most important factor here.

For that size, any of those should fit the bill. I agree on checking out the HSU and I would also look into the ED A7S - 450. For music, the sealed designs are generally preferred.

Personally, I have the Empire and I think it's a great sub. All the other options are excellent also.

Don

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18289077

For that size, any of those should fit the bill. I agree on checking out the HSU and I would also look into the ED A7S - 450. For music, the sealed designs are generally preferred.

Personally, I have the Empire and I think it's a great sub. All the other options are excellent also.

Don

Hmm the empire is intriguing. Dual 15's sound nice for HT.

How is it for music??

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18289144

Hmm the empire is intriguing. Dual 15's sound nice for HT.

How is it for music??

It's excellent for music. Very nice mid-bass capability. I believe it'll be $999 after the introductory pricing. I wish I could tell you more about the other subs so I don't sound like an Epik fanboi.
Again, for that size room, I think any of them will do well for you.

But, I can say for me anyway, the Empire's excellent. It is starting to gain reputation as having high output mid-bass slam. In my listening area I get below 20hz w/o any issues and it's twice the volume as yours open into another 6000cft room so over 10000cft total volume. That's with one Empire. (I have duals) Of course, whatever you decide, placement is key. It took me a couple of weeks to get it where I wanted it. And add a cheap PEQ and you're golden.

Owners of the other choices, chime in here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is such a hard decision to make. The Rythmik seems the best for music and accuracy, while the Empire would probably beat it out in output considering it has dual 15's.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18289583

This is such a hard decision to make. The Rythmik seems the best for music and accuracy, while the Empire would probably beat it out in output considering it has dual 15's.

Decisions, decisions.

Unless you're literally going to be using the sub for 90%music or more, i would go with the Empire. No offense to the Rythmik, it is a fantastic sub, but i don't really feel it has the output or extension to really shine in a HT environment. Is it going to *suck*, no, not by any stretch of the imagination. But the Empire will outperform it in HT, and will sound excellent with music. For music the lowest notes on a pipe organ will hit 40hz, the majority of most bass in music is 50-55 hz +.

The Empire as previous posters have said has been gaining a solid reputation for mid bass slam. So, when you're listening to music and someone tags that Timpani, or Kick Drum, the Empire is going to make you FEEL it. One of the best songs IMO to demo a sub for musicality is John Mayer's Continuum Album, specifically the song "Waiting on the World to Change". The initial kick drum/drumming section is fantastically recorded and just perfect for testing a sub's musical capability. "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" and "Gravity" have great bass guitar tracks that really help show a subs ability.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would also place a vote for a used Martin Logan ESL Series (Grotto, Depth, Descent) Subwoofer.

Used non "i" Depth's can usually be found for around 900-1000 Dollars and is truly an excellent Subwoofer. Especially for Music.

Here is the Stereophile Review: http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/804ml/

You could probably also afford a used Grotto i for that amount. Though it does not use the 3 Woofer configuration of the Depth and Descent, it does use the same 10" Aluminum Woofer from the 3500 Dollar Descent i.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/18289760

Unless you're literally going to be using the sub for 90%music or more, i would go with the Empire. No offense to the Rythmik, it is a fantastic sub, but i don't really feel it has the output or extension to really shine in a HT environment. Is it going to *suck*, no, not by any stretch of the imagination. But the Empire will outperform it in HT, and will sound excellent with music. For music the lowest notes on a pipe organ will hit 40hz, the majority of most bass in music is 50-55 hz +.

Just a couple of corrections: The Rythmik has deeper extension than the Empire. The lowest note on a pipe organ is 16hz.

In a 1900 cu ft room...he is going to have more output than he needs with any of the subs.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/18290079

Just a couple of corrections: The Rythmik has deeper extension than the Empire. The lowest note on a pipe organ is 16hz.

In a 1900 cu ft room...he is going to have more output than he needs with any of the subs.

Agreed on all points. Due to the nature of sealed designs however, with EQ, you can increase your SPL in the below 20hz range easily. You're just limited by the excursion of the driver and amplifier power.

But again, that's a small area for these monster subs you're considering.

Don

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So right now, i guess the short list is the Rythmik F15 or the Epik Empire.

One thing i like is the Epik is in stock and cheaper

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/18290079

Thanks for the heads up. I realize now its the bass guitar goes to 41hz, not a pipe organ, so thank you for the correction.

Also, didnt realize his room was that size, guess it helps to read the original post eh :).

Given that info, i agree, he would be fine with either sub. Though i still think the Epik is a better choice, at least at this price point.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/18290344

Given that info, i agree, he would be fine with either sub. Though i still think the Epik is a better choice, at least at this price point.

Never heard the Epik, but from specs, in-home measurements, and Illka's measurements, the Rythmik has deeper extension if needed. It can also be tuned for less extension and more output as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/18290460

It can also be tuned for less extension and more output as well.

Why would anyone want "less" extension?
Do you mean trading extension for SPL?

In any event, you are again correct. You would think though that 2 15" drivers could be driven harder than a single (similar) driver as in the Rythmik. But this is all speculation. For all I know the Rythmik might spank the pants off the Empire.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18290486

Why would anyone want "less" extension?
Do you mean trading extension for SPL?

In any event, you are again correct. You would think though that 2 15" drivers could be driven harder than a single (similar) driver as in the Rythmik. But this is all speculation. For all I know the Rythmik might spank the pants off the Empire.

Yes...with the Rythmik, you can trade extension for headroom.

Where did I speculate one was better than the other? All I have stated are facts.

I didn't speculate on the Epik. It could very well sound as good as the Rythmik. All anyone can do for the Epik is speculate since there really isn't any measurements, except for those in-room by customers. With that customer data, and specs, it does not have the extension that the Rythmik is capable of. That is the closest we can get to comparing anything objective.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/18290549

Yes...with the Rythmik, you can trade extension for headroom.

Where did I speculate one was better than the other? All I have stated are facts.

I didn't speculate on the Epik. It could very well sound as good as the Rythmik. All anyone can do for the Epik is speculate since there really isn't any measurements, except for those in-room by customers. With that customer data, and specs, it does not have the extension that the Rythmik is capable of. That is the closest we can get to comparing anything objective.

Where did I state you made any speculations at all? I was referring to my prior sentence and was indicating what I was saying was speculation on MY part.

Anyway. OP, just buy the cheaper one.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18290572

Where did I state you made any speculations at all? I was referring to my prior sentence and was indicating what I was saying was speculation on MY part.

Anyway. OP, just buy the cheaper one.

Sorry...misunderstood...it's getting late.
I better finish loading the dishwasher and go to bed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts